Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea Pungens Hoopsii Grafted?

Posted by gtiboy (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 6:34

Why is Picea Pungens Hoopsii grafted? I see these plants are not widely available to buy, and when you do see one it's grafted?

Are seeds not available for this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea Pungens Hoopsii Grafted?

Hello gti,

I'll give you the quick answer here. Picea pungens 'Hoopsi' is a selected variant of Colorado Blue Spruce that has specific qualities that some feel make it superior to the normal species plant. These qualities can only be recreated through vegetative propagation (grafting, rooting cuttings, or tissue culture). Grafting is overwhelmingly the easiest process here.

If one were to plant seeds, there would be enough genetic variability to the resulting seedlings that they could never properly be called 'Hoopsi.'

Thanks for asking. I hope this helps answer your question.
~Dave

o
RE: Picea Pungens Hoopsii Grafted?

Picea pungens... can be grown from seed ... commonly known as a 'blue' spruce' ... it will give a certain percentage of blue seedlings ... none of which will be the selected version known as hoopsi ...

if you want hoopsi.. you have to get a piece of the original hoopsi ... with roots attached ... and that is done thru grafting ... i am not aware that Picea pungens can be rooted .... [though i wouldnt be surprised of some dwarf or mini can be.. but we arent asked about those]

all hoopsi are EXACTLY the original hoopsi ...

just like your mom and dad can not create an exact duplicate of themselves thru pollination and the vagaries of DNA ... neither can you replicate hoopsi thru seed ... MAYBE you will get something that looks the same .. .. might even come up with something better... if you grow out a couple million seeds for a decade or two ... but whatever you get.. it will not be.. and you can call it.. hoopsi ... you would then name it: Picea pungens 'GTI boy's Folly' .... or some such ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here