Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Winter wonderland at the Peter Pinetum

coniferjoy
11 years ago

Stephen had some frost last week, since this morning we've snow here in The Netherlands...
{{gwi:856175}}

{{gwi:856177}}

{{gwi:856179}}

{{gwi:856181}}

{{gwi:856183}}

{{gwi:856185}}

{{gwi:856186}}

{{gwi:856187}}

{{gwi:856188}}

Part of the nursery
{{gwi:856190}}

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

very nice .. Happy Holidays to you and yours ...

must have been a decent wind.. to plaster one side of the trunks during the snowfall ... a good sticky wet heavy snow ...

thankfully.. is seems to have stopped.. before any damage was done ...

how much snow do you usually get ... and does it stick around all winter??? or is this out of the ordinary???

have a great day

ken

ps: the barbed wire fence.. is presumably for vermin.. human or animal???? .. i never noticed it before ... how rural are you??? or are you near a city????

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

I never saw so many Albovariegata (Albopicta, Snow White, Snow Cushion) conifers... :)
    Zsolt

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Wow! Not something that we see around here...I am shivering just looking at the photos. But it is beautiful!

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Interesting that you've got snowcover there before I do -- tho mountains around here will get snow the next couple days.

Has the MET office forecasted another mild, dry winter like they did last year? :)

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Winter wonderland indeed!

How cold does it get out in your neck of the woods? Do you ever need to provide protection for potted stock, or can you leave them out all winter long? Or is this a case where you can count on snow cover to keep the pots insulated?

• tunilla
    11 years ago

Same story over here... 4-5" (10-15 cm) of heavy snow on already well frozen ground . Sticks like sh*t on a shovel.
    Minus 10�C (14 �F forecast for sunday and part of next week. T.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Are those pollarded Salix that are looking ethereal in the back of second-to-last picture? If so are you near to water?

Fantastic pictures, not a day to pick visit and browse your potted stock, but walking around would be amazing.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, indeed the snow felt together with a very strong wind.
    But that was yesterday, today we've a sunny sky which is beautiful to take a couple more pics.

Here in The Netherlands we will have about 30cm (20inches)of snow, but mostly not for a long time.
    Every winter here is differend so it's hard to tell how long it will stay.
    Last winter we had spring temperatures till the end of January but in the beginning of February we had a very cold wind from Siberia which was not so good for a lot of plants...
    Last night it was about -10 degrees Celcius (14 degrees F.)so the conifers are hardened off and are in winter rest now.

The barbed wire fence is to keep the elephants out of my property, by doing this they can't bring no damage to my conifers.
    It works pretty well, I didn't see one here since it was placed...

Zsolt, you're right, this time of year my Pinetum is crowded with white variegated conifers.
    Somethimes also a yellow-whitish variegated one appaers, but that's only an indication that the neighbour's cat was there recently...

Beng, like I told to Ken, this winter now seems to be a lot better then the one we had last year.
    I'll cross my fingers that the temperatures will stay low till the beginning of February...

Alex, the last 4 winters were pretty cold, only for a short time with average temperatures of -22 degrees Celcius (-7.6 degrees F.)
    For now all looks ok, but wintertime has just started...
    I only cover my young grafted conifers, all the others will stay in uncovered because they can stand the low temperatures very well.
    This is because I export them to the more colder European countries in Northern, Central and Eastern Europe, even Russia were the winter temperatures could be much lower then here in The Netherlands.

Tunilla, it seems that the biggest part of Europe is covered with snow now.
    I prefer better to have snow on my shovel then sh*t.
    The first one doesn't smell, however frozen sh*t doesn't smell eiter ;0)
    How about some pics of the plants you bought from me last spring?
    You promised us those a long time ago...

Severn, those are pollarded willows indeed.
    They're very old specimens and are protected for that reason.
    The sandy soil here in this enviroment is pretty moisty but never to wet, this is because it's mixed with some gravel.

Some more...
    Pinus strobus 'Ed's Broom'
    {{gwi:856192}}

Pinus sylvestris 'Aurea'
    {{gwi:856193}}

Picea balfouriana (l) and Picea jezoensis (r)
    {{gwi:856194}}

• liopleurodon
    11 years ago

At first they predicted temperatures down to -6 degrees Celcius, then to -1 and finally +3 or so on Friday (when the so called snow-storm was going to pass). So in the end only we got was melting snow, not even a lot of it. I guess my region (although pretty close to where Edwin lives) just had bad luck.

• severnside
    11 years ago

I've never seen Edwin crack so many funnies, lol! I liked the elephant one.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Liop, you're right, it wasn't a snow storm, however there was a strong wind with a lot of snow.
    Today it will rain the whole day, so I guess tomorrow all the snow will be disappaered.

I feel lucky, because now I've some nice pics for creating nice Christmas cards... :0)

Ken, I was kidding a bit.
    We don't have elephants around here, just some in the zoo far away.
    The barbed wire fence is to protect against rabbits and roe.
    My nursery is pretty rural, it's in the middle of nowhere but also 10 minutes drive the the nearest city.

You could have seen the fence in another topic of mine...

Here is a link that might be useful: My new Picea pungens cultivars corner

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Fantastic!
    Happy holidays to you, Edwin!

Josh

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Edwin, I am surprised that you have such a low temperature in the winter. But your pinetum looks fabulous! I hope nothing is broken. Snow is heavy ...

Very nice balfouriana! And beautyful weeping monsters:)

I like that your plants are not pampered and experiencing winter conditions bravely ..

You are lucky with a sunny day! I have not seen the sun for several weeks. The only clouds every day. And every day snows. But the cold is not great - 10 C at night, - 5 C day - my favorite winter temperatures. Plants are well covered with snow, and I hope it will remain.

Ireena

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ireena, here in The Netherlands the winters are mild most of the time.
    However there could be periods that it is extremely cold for a short time, especialy when the wind is comming from Siberia.
    If so, and the ice is thick enough, we've our national Frisian Eleven Cities Tour on skates.

Btw, are there elephants in Latvia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleven Cities Tour

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Edwin, I have seen in the Dutch artists' paintings skating scenes - for example in Hendrik Averkamp paintings. There were a lot of snow and ice!:) I always wondered that your channels freezes. But I am afraid to go on the ice:) Even when our sea freezes over and ice is 40 cm thick ... Estonian islands are quite close to the coast. And they're driving with cars to Saaremaa and Hiiumaa. Crazy peoples!!:)

About elephants:) - in our forests are only bears and elks - our biggest animals:)))

Ireena

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!