Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abies veitchii f. olivacea

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 8:20

just to prove i do make changes to the dB ...

bought as: Abies veitchii 'Olivaceae'

changed to, based on youse guys: Abies veitchii f. olivacea

of course.. they will now tell me there has been another nomenclature name change.. lol ...

that is not a secondary leader.. its just an optical illusion ...

looks like it is finally settling in and getting established.. note the leader growth rate ...

ken
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abies veitchii f. olivacea

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 14:50

Wow, is that leader 2'?

You have some neat cultivars you're pulling out of the hat.

Keep em' coming. I'm enjoying them and I'm sure others are as well.

o

Ken, that is a gorgeous Abies veitchii 'Olivaceae'. It really is putting out some quick growth eh? Very very nice.

o

That's extremely odd. I'm sure you'd be qualified to recognize this, but it sure looks like a rootstock that is zooming past a scion.
What is the point of this cultivar?

o

Looks to me like a grafted side shoot that is starting to develop apical dominance - it should get more symmetrical over the next year or two.

The only difference from typical Abies veitchii is that the immature cones are green, not purple.

Resin

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 20:06

Yes, a botanical forma rather than a cultivated variety (cultivar, for short).

Except that in this particular instance it may be that in cultivation a clone or small number of clones have been produced by grafting. Which means a de facto cultivar has been produced - a cultivar name should be raised to differentiate this stock from the rest of f. olivacea.

The "aceae" ending is used for family names only, so there would never be a proper cultivar name with that ending.

o

david .... just for you .. i walked out... at night.. 27 degrees.. and a blistering wind....

its an optical delusion....

its all above the graft ... the white is under.. but being on the hill... we see some from below.. and some from the top ... creating the delusion .. lol ...

as for the rest of you .. i said: that is not a secondary leader.. its just an optical illusion ...

its most likely.. the first lateral.. oh so many years ago... doing something weird.. due to the hill ... both camera angle.. and weird growth ..

ken

o
RE: name it

maybe someone should name one.. 'Olive Oyl"

lol

ken

o

Olivacea are the colour of olive,witch are the colour of the cone.It's just a variety,with a green cone not a cultivar.
Clement

o

one thing for sure... its going to be much larger than i thought.. way back when.. when i planted to too close to the rest ....

at the link.. its the small one.. right above the day lily .. in front of aurea.. and to the right of otto ...

duh ... i can put the pic right here... some times i wonder about you all .. lol.. but most of the time i am wondering what i am thinking.. lol ...ken
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here