Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiethorst cone

Posted by sluice z5b CO (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 8:44

Pinus x schwerinii 'Wiethorst' cone (fall 2011)

Pinus x schwerinii 'Wiethorst' cone (spring 2010)

chilly here this morning!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiethorst cone

Thanks,

I see many yellow needles in the first pic -- do you get a lot of foliage loss every year ?

....just wondering if that's normal, as I also have a small plant.

o

Jaro,

Not sure. These were grafted and planted out in spring 2010, and then tranplanted in spring 2011.
The yellow needles may be due to the plant not being settled in yet, but that's speculation on my part.
How is your plant doing?

Nate

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum' this am at 3F (-16C).

o

Thanks, I will only find out next spring.... the amount of foliage shed seemed a bit unusual though.

o

either way its a fabulous looking cone!

o

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum' is gorgeous! Especially with the snow cover like that.

Yes, the cold is beginning to set in. UGH. Nice to see I am warmer than you. :)

o

sluice,

7 below here this morning, 13 below with the windchill. 25 for a high is actually looking pretty good today!

A lot of conifers seem to fry a bit when getting settled here. I think it's the elevation and ample sunshine we get.

Love the pics. The baby Wiethorst cones are awesome.

Keep warm!

Barb

o

Hi folks! My young 'Wiethorst' got smashed by the dogs as they were storming out of the house one day, only a few weeks after I happily planted it! All that's left is a small stump with two puny little sidebranches attached to it. At this stage it's impossible to tell if these belong to the graft or the understock.
Hope you all manage to keep warm ! T.

PS: Super Sequoiadendron by the way!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here