Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

British Conifer Society

bluespruce53
15 years ago

I keep seeing comments on this forum about joining the American Conifer Society which is fine. Well, for those of you that are passionate about conifers why not also join the British Conifer Society as well. They publish two journals annually which are very similar to the ACS publication in size and layout. Absolutely packed with information about conifers and a chance to see more of how things are done with your favorite plants outside the US. Right now has never been a better time to join with the value of the pound sinking like a stone, £20, about $30, and will probably go lower in time. Also, please note resin is not a member, so there's another very good reason to join :o)

Front cover.

Back cover

Inside pages

Comments (18)

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info,Blue.Does the journal also have a section with adverts from nurseries and collectors proposing interesting or unusual conifers? T.

• blue_yew
    15 years ago

Im a BCS member I think a lot of BCS members
    don't know about this website.

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Or maybe they know Resin...hee hee. T.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tunilla - nurseries can place adverts - if you are a member, and anything conifer related.
    blueyew - I guess we are the only two BCS members on this forum, seems very peculiar to me why that is so.
    It will be interesting to see how many of our American friends respond to this post, people keep telling me they are an insular nation and the majority have no interest outside their own country - but I don't believe that for one minute.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Are you sure Blue...the society will blame you when all us uncivilized Americans show up for for the big annual meeting.
    We'll eat all the food and talk out of turn!

Can we Stay at your house? heehee

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Membership Form

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barbara, we don't do big annual meetings, only small ones, we only have about 160 members. If you want to join of course you can stay at my house, we have a very small bathroom though, just ask Bill Barger.

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Sweet. Invitation accepted. I hope to make it to Europe this summer. It's all tentative though.

Dax

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Didn't realize your name was Barbara, Dax :0)
    No Americans interested in joining then, not even showing any curiosity in the journal we produce, I can only assume that you're all not as passionate about conifers as I am ?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

pshaw ... old chap ...

2 reasons i will defer ...

2 kids.. no disposable $$$$ .. $30 is 1 to 6 conifers i can not buy ...

second ... i probably wouldnt be able to grow half the things featured ... this is one thing i find frustrating about the ACS journal ...

its not that the world should revolve around my garden .. its just envy ... which is a deadly sin ...

happy holidays .....

ken

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kenny , sell off a small piece of your five acres for development.... you don't really need that much, then you can afford it!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i would sell one of the kids.. before i sold a part of the garden ...

NOT REALLY ... lol

ken

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Thanks bluespruce,

I am always interested in what the other folks across the pond are doing with regard to conifer collecting and welcome the opportunity to enteract with them.

As soon as I get back home, i'm in California for the holidays, I will be sending the application to Christine Battle BCS Membership Secretary to become a member.

Dave

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well done Dave,
    Send the application to;

Dilly Bradley
    Little Yarford Farmhouse
    Kingston St Mary
    Taunton, TA2 8AN
    England.

It's an old application form on the web site, Dilly Bradley is our new membership secretary.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, I think we will be signing up Dave and Kim, are there any more takers ? I'm thinking of donating a mystery prize if we can recruit any more members.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

BlueStephen....When you so generously sent Kim and I a Conifer book as a prize, I decided to join also...just haven't followed through yet.

New Years resolutions:

Return phone calls, emails, complete and mail forms in a timely manner.
    Keep voice mail, inbox, and postal mail cleaned up and organized.
    Schedule online bill payments with 'Bill Pay' when the invoice arrives

The same every year!

Barbara

• raul_kender
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I would like to join the BCS, but the link to the website is down. Does anyone know if the contact address shown in this thread is still the same?

thanks

• pineresin
    9 years ago

They only appear to have a facebook page now; try this address.

Resin

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

They're sending a big group to the 2015 ACS meeting...