Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A mag 'Nana', J. c. 'Gold Cone', J. v. 'Schotti Go

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 9:25

Abies magnifica 'Nana' -- why are there no other mag's?? that i am aware of anyway ..... it always fascinates me when there are very few within any name group [this is where joy names 50 others... lol] ... Pinus densiflora 'Cesarini's Variegated' behind.. not much different to burke's.. to my eye.. but i have never dragged needles back and forth to check closely .... and of course.. resinosa aurea ...

Photobucket

Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone' .. a very nice spring/summer yellow.. new growth ... totally natural shape .... green giants behind.. from 4 inch cutting in peat pots 10 years ago ...

Photobucket

Juniperus virginiana 'Schotti Gold' .. total piece of carp in my z5.. this is most likely.. the best it ever looked.. lol ... am i zone pushing here???? .. was there a mr schotti?? .. i dont think i have any other virg's ... so that is why i am wondering about zone ...

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A mag 'Nana', J. c. 'Gold Cone', J. v. 'Schotti Go

Gold Cone is super. I've not very much familiar with your Abies magnifica 'Nana'. Don't know the species hardly at all other than it's west coast and that is the limit of my knowledge. It's very interesting to me to see it growing in the Mid-west.

Schotti Gold is a new one for me. Pretty cool plant if it were happy I think.

Thanks Ken,

Dax

o

Ken, your Abies magnifica 'Nana' is a nice Abies lasiocarpa ' ? '
Clement

o

my source at link

one thing for sure.. i like its dwarfness [new word there] ... no matter what it is

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken, Clement is correct, Abies lasiocarpa and definitely not Abies magnifica 'Nana'

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 17:59

o

I really like your 'Gold Cone'. What a very nice tall specimen.

o

Clement and Stephen are right, it's a lasiocarpa.
Ken, it seems that you were informed before.
Why didn't you change anything?

Also the 'Gold Cone' isn't a 'Gold Cone', it's a Juniperus communis 'Suecica Aurea'...

o

Ken, it seems that you were informed before.
Why didn't you change anything?

====>>> a mystery left for the ages ....

what do you think the odds are.. that the dB will get changed this time??? are you thinking guilt might work???

one thing all these name changes accomplish.. is to make my plant list get bigger.. so i can now claim 202 conifers.. rather than 200 .. since i have to keep the old entry ... and add a new one.. lol

ken

o

Edwin,

Juniperus communis 'Suecica Aurea'. Aka...'Gold Cone'

Can you enlighten further as to where this cultivars name originated?

It has always been 'Gold Cone' in the states.

Dave

o

That's how my Gold Cones at my previous house all look. Dax

o

Dave, then it's wrong named from the beginning on.
Both are differend cultivars.

'Gold Cone' does have a golden yellow colour all year.
'Suecica Aurea' is yellow in spring and more greenish yellow during the rest of the year and because of this it will grow faster and taller then the 'Gold Cone'.

Also here in The Netherlands I still see nurseries which are making the same mistake which is to bad...

o

Juniperus communis 'Suecica Aurea' ... ok .. i added an 's/b' to the dB... but if someone sees mine.. and wants to buy it.. it has to remain gold cone.. here in the states ... if they order it from my seller ...

s/b = should be

same on the dB for the magnifica....s/b lasio compacta

there .. my guilt is assuaged ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here