Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

Interesting pungens and mugo, maybe?

fotisr
11 years ago

Hello, I took a stroll today at local plant seelling shops today and found some plants worth mentioning here.

First of all there was this Picea pungens seedling. These are grown from seed in northern Greece and sold after some years as christmas trees. There were 10 of them having the usual pretty P. pungens habit in different shades of green-blue but one of them was quite different. As you can see every branch this year turned almost leader-like upwards. This could be very interesting fastigiate form. There are almost 20 leaders heading up. Needless to say I reserved the plant for later pick-up. I intend to grow it in a nice, dry, slopy place in my garden and if it ends a tight-columnar pungens I will propagate it. Edwin if it interests you let me know.

I found a Pinus mugo var. pumilio as well, which had one branch with very long needles (up to 15cm) which were very twisted. Don't know if this is usual or worth mentioning here.

Trying to compete Ireena and her autumn purchases but I guess her local nuseries are better!!! lol...

Best regards,
Fotis

PS I'm sorry for the bad quality of the images. Only cellphone with me.

This post was edited by fotisr on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 10:47

Comments (10)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Hello Fotis,

there are already lots of fastigiate Picea pungens out there, so the question of adding another might be questionable. However, that curly needled mugo is really cool. Buy the tree, plant it and observe for a few years to see if the mutation is stable.

best of luck.
    ~Dave

This post was edited by Glaciers-End on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 12:20

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I'd agree just from a perspective of what looks interesting/different.

That P. mugo reminds of Pinus heldreichii 'Clumpleaf'.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"That P. mugo reminds of Pinus heldreichii 'Clumpleaf'"

Sadly not, definitely Pinus mugo!

Resin

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave and Will I agree with you 100%. Never been interested in releasing new cultivars. I love the fact that I'll have a strange Picea pungens with unique DNA. If it ends up different-interesting I won't mind propagation. I felt very nice spotting it and purchasing though!
    Will, the mugo is already with me for observation. I think it's a bit more interesting than it appeared in the image.

Fotis

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Fotis, in Latvia pungens does not grow in the forests, as in America.... I have only one narrow growing pungens - 'Iseli Fastigiata', which looks much different. So it seems to me that this discovery is a very valuable:)) For Europeans... where pungens no ordinary...

Ireena

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

"The look" reminds me of that cultivar!lol!

• botann
    11 years ago

Since that pungens has been grown for the Christmas tree trade, it may have been sheared when younger and now has multiple leaders striving for dominance. (Pretenders to the Throne) Perhaps it's not genetic.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Fotis, your Picea pungens seedling looks differend and could be a very nice one at a later age.
    I would like to see it again when it is about 1,5 metres high.
    In the meanwhile I would like to try to propagate a few.

There are not lots of fastigiate growing Picea pungens cultivars, there are only a few...
    There's 'Iseli Fastigiate' and 'Blue Totem', all others are just synonyms for them.
    Both are narrow fastigiate growing one's, there's also room for a wider growing fastigiate one.

Pinus mugo var. pumilio specimens are propagated from seeds.
    At nurseries several seeds will be put together which will result that in a shorter time a plant is ready for sale.
    For this reason it looks like Fotis plant is showing a branch mutation, but in reality this is a single specimen in that pot.
    I saw simular twisted needled one's before of this species but never saw one in cultivation with a cultivar name.
    The best thing is to cut off all the common branches and let the twisted one grow for a few years for observation.
    Maybe it will grow out into a nice addition, time will tell...

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! Both will be under observation for the next years.

Edwin when I have it with me it will be very easy to cut and send some scions over! :)

Mike, it already has a very strong leader. Also I couldn't find any shear wounds and I inspected thoroughly. All the others weren't sheared as well. Here in Greece people prefer their christmas trees with their natural form and not sheared. I've never seen any sheared for sale except few branches cut just before sales to bring more symmetry, but this is young and symmetrical on its own. It is however a very full specimen, vigorous and 70cm tall from pot.

Best regards,
    Fotis

• floramakros
    11 years ago

"Both will be under observation for the next years."

For some reason this phrase really struck me as funny. Like they are under watch in a mental health facility or something! ;-) I hope the joke translates well! Beautiful plants, congratulations.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?