Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeskim_gw

Picea Pungens in Austin TX

jeskim
13 years ago

A few years ago I went to visit an ailing coworker, and when I was leaving his neighborhood I saw a silver conifer and never forgot it. At the time I was new to TX and was not "interested" in the local flora and did not think anything about it being abnormal. My uncle moved down here since (he's a forester) and I kept telling him that I knew Blue Spruce could survive here but had to go through my memory to remember where I saw the darn thing. Finally one day while we were car pooling I remembered and took him there to confirm it (he figured I was mistaking it for AZ Cypress). Sure enough it is a bona-fide Picea Punges growing in the ground in Austin TX. It has been in the ground for at least 7 years if not far more than that. It doesn't show very vigorous growth; but it is clearly healthy and has kept a good form (if not more compact) than usual.

I do not have pictures of my own just yet. But through the modern miracle of the internet, Bing Maps, etc I can share these pics (for now). I fully intend to go back and get better close ups.

It is maybe 12' tall and it is fairly silver in color. Maybe grows 6" a year. I have not talked to the homeowner yet (or know if he/she planted it originally) to get any more info. It is shaded (afternoon/evening) in the summer months from the larger trees to the right and I am sure that that is helping it. The other thing that I wonder about is the PH adaptability. Our soil PH here is between 8 and 8.5

This is probably one the most out of place P. Pungens that I can think of (in ground).

- Matt

Comments (13)

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Apparently one grew here in Gainesville, FL for years as well. I also saw an "Alberta spruce" P. glauca 'Conica' in a home landscape that looked to be there for several years when I was looking for a house to buy here. FWIW, I am growing P. martinezii, P. morrisonicola and P. torano well enough.

• jeskim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been doing OK with

P. Smithiana
    P. Omorika 'nana'

in pots so far. I have found that the following seems to help:

1: Move them into shade during the height of summer
    2: Watch out to not over water
    3: Water them in the evening (sometimes by dumping ice cubes into the pots). -- Provides evaporational cooling (creates a tiny micro-climate)

My constant battle is providing a good potting soil. I can start it off good, but over time the PH goes alkaline because of the tap water.

I have toyed with the idea of by burying the pots in the soil to help lower the temp of the potting soil.

I plan to try out a few other P. species over time.

What are your soils like in Gainsville ?

I am familiar with the climate there though. I do some consulting forensic meteorology with studies in local climate....my college education is deep in atmospheric sciences, fluid dynamics, and non linear systems.

- Matt

• greenlarry
    13 years ago

Thats pretty cool! A blue spruce in texas! I can see a song there...

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Here we have deep, acidic sand for the most part, with some ribbons of clay at verious depths. There are places with ancient coral-limestone near the surface as well. Where I live it is definitely sandy and acidic. I have never seen clay when digging and drainage is extremely good - often too good.

• scotjute Z8
    13 years ago

There is a small one alive in Killeen, Tx. by a church. Nice color, I hesitate to use the word "growing" with it, as it doesn't seem to grow. Probably not more that 2-3" a year. Certainly not something one would normally recommend. Soil is around 7.5 - 8 pH
    here.

• Kev-o
    10 years ago

Bringing thread back from the dead, but this gets me even more excited to grow a picea pungens here in North Dallas. Probably will try a baby blue eyes, as that has proven to survive for another member in Dallas, and I am farther North out of the "urban heating." I live near Aubrey in the Eastern Cross Timbers ecoregion, haven't had my soil tested yet, but all points to slightly acidic to acidic sandy clay loam. Currently building a house on 4 acres of deeply forested land with a creek running through. Planning on doing a Japanese style garden with many acer palmatums, pinus thunbergiis and densifloras, some azaleas, and attempting some large leaved rhododendrons, a moss garden near the creek, among many other plants. Incorporating a spruce or two will be very nice, as I grew up in Colorado and still am in love with it's conifers.

Wonder if any other normally more "alpine" conifer species could survive here given the best circumstances - afternoon shade, acidic loamy soil, protection from hot drying winds ect.? Considering a picea pungens is growing openly in AUSTIN! I'd practically kill for an Engelmann spruce. :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey kev

why not start your own post.. and ask for suggestions or experience in your area...

rather than burying your questions in a very old post???

ken

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Speciality Ornamentals says 'Hoopsii' does well in GA- they are just south of Athens.

• Kev-o
    10 years ago

Ken,

Wasn't as much of a question as it was a rant. : P But I may do that.

Also, Hoopsii looks good too, I'll think about that. Thanks.

• texjagman
    10 years ago

I would agree that Hoopsi is probably your best option for heat.

mark

• bluecone
    10 years ago

I've actually been looking for a systematic study of the drought and heat tolerances of Picea pungens populations from the various "sky islands" that the species inhabits. The closest study is a planting in Nebraska, which due to its location, tested for cold tolerance in addition to drought and heat:

http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_rm/rm_rp253.pdf

Regarding 'Hoopsi', it might just look the healthiest in the heat compared to dull-green varieties because it's the shiniest. If a real study shows that the % mortality under heat & water stress is indeed highest in Hoopsi, someone should do genetic testing to see which of the Picea pungens populations does 'Hoopsi' originate from. I'd wager a south NM source like Lincoln NF.

Here is a link that might be useful: Survival and color of seedlings from various provenances on a test site in Nebraska

• ospreynn
    7 years ago

you'll be surprised with the things that can grow in Chihuahua

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler