Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katsura_grower

Hinoki sports

Katsura Gardens
11 years ago

Some sports i've found around the farm that have potential.

Comments (10)

• botann
    11 years ago

How can you tell it's not a reversion?
    Just curious.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

John, from which one is the white one a mutation of?
    I found a simular one on a 'Mariesii' which I named 'Filip's Melting Mounting'...

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, The first pic is of a Cham. ob. nana gracilis which is green and the sport is a nice yellow which is faster growing and becomes deeper gold in winter. The second is a sport of c.o. nana lutea which is itself a sport of nana gracilis.It has a faster growth rate with similar color to nana lutea.i have hundreds of hinoki and have found many sports and also reversions.I sometimes don't know if they are sports or reversions but generally speaking if they are fast growing green branches on a dwarf green plant,I consider that to be a reversion. similarly a fast growing branch on a yellow cultivar I consider A reversion to C.obtusa aurea. I would guess the only way to tell would be to grow them on to see how they develop. Edwin, The last two pics are of a sport I found at the nursery on a Mariesii. I posted pics a year or so ago also. I call it C. o. Snow Angel.I have found many sports (reversions?)on Mariesii. I have three different ones with seemingly varying growth rates. A few Oregon nurserymen i spoke to about this were not impressed, saying these were commonplace.I think a fast growing upright white tipped hinoki is desirable so I continue to evaluate. I also have a fast growing sport of c.o. Snowkist. This is in my mind more desirable than the Mariesii sport as the green is a deeper color on Snowkist than the olive green of Mariesii so there is more contrast.
    john

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, The first pic is of a Cham. ob. nana gracilis which is green and the sport is a nice yellow which is faster growing and becomes deeper gold in winter. The second is a sport of c.o. nana lutea which is itself a sport of nana gracilis.It has a faster growth rate with similar color to nana lutea.i have hundreds of hinoki and have found many sports and also reversions.I sometimes don't know if they are sports or reversions but generally speaking if they are fast growing green branches on a dwarf green plant,I consider that to be a reversion. similarly a fast growing branch on a yellow cultivar I consider A reversion to C.obtusa aurea. I would guess the only way to tell would be to grow them on to see how they develop. Edwin, The last two pics are of a sport I found at the nursery on a Mariesii. I posted pics a year or so ago also. I call it C. o. Snow Angel.I have found many sports (reversions?)on Mariesii. I have three different ones with seemingly varying growth rates. A few Oregon nurserymen i spoke to about this were not impressed, saying these were commonplace.I think a fast growing upright white tipped hinoki is desirable so I continue to evaluate. I also have a fast growing sport of c.o. Snowkist. This is in my mind more desirable than the Mariesii sport as the green is a deeper color on Snowkist than the olive green of Mariesii so there is more contrast.
    john

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

For me a reversion are when a cutivar return to the species,
    fast growth , green color,and the same caracteristic of the species.
    Your "mutation" are in my mind a semi reversion, because he growth faster than the original cultivar but he don't have the caracteristics of the species.
    In this case it's a new cultivar.
    your's same interesting.Have you grafted some ? for comparison ?
    Clement

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I found several Thuja occ. sports this fall that I clipped and stuck. I think (3) from my Hetz Wintergreen's and (1) from a seedling of Hetz Wintergreen.

How are your Green Giant variegates doing John? Didn't you have (2)? I would love to see those again as it's been a while.

Dax

• botann
    11 years ago

Thank you for the explanation katsura grower.
    I wasn't sure of what I was looking at.
    I'm sure others will benefit from your explanation.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dax, how about an update of your variegated 'Hetz Wintergreen' cuttings?
    Are they still alive and do they have some roots in the meanwhile?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

They're still alive. I use no bottom heat. They're at a cool temp in my basement with just one fluorescent light. I expect them to take up to 12-16 weeks to root in this way.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

"A few Oregon nurserymen i spoke to about this were not impressed, saying these were commonplace."

John, what do they know? They don't care about new cultivars because they're only familiar with the common stuff.

But let you me tell you this:
    They will get interested when you did all the field work and the new cultivar will become more populair.
    Then they will call you if you've some availlable for them!
    I can say this from my own experiences...
    Good luck and please continue finding new conifer beauties!