Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Pinus parviflora 'Fukai'

any problems or discussion about this name ....

someone suggested it is.. or may be the same as 'Shikoken'

here are some poor.. old pix.. i swear.. 5 years later.. the thing doenst look any bigger..

its right up there with 'Ogon Janome' for vigor in my garden ...

first.. discuss and decide on the name ...

then post pix of your 8 footer.. that you cant beat back with a stick .. lol

and no.. i did not plant it that way.. apparently it cant get over being a branch ... though very dramatic .. who needs another straight up tree ... weirder the better club ...

ken
{{gwi:860183}}

{{gwi:802972}}

Comments (16)

• nuconiferlvr
    11 years ago

I think what you have there Ken is Pinus parviflora 'Fukuzumi'. It is known for it's windswept look. The name you gave 'Fukai' is more of an upright with a little yellow varigation.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

'Fuku-zu-mi' (correct spelling) is possible.
    Ken, does your specimen has variegated needles?
    This isn't visuable at your pics...

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Surely 'Fukai' (Fukai seedling) and 'Fuku-zu-mi' are two entirely different plants Edwin ?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yep, they're differend for sure.
    I would like to see a close up pic of Ken's specimen to see if the needles are variegated or not...

The second pic was taken with frost on it's needles, which will also gave it a temporary variegated appaerence ;0)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it was.. and is clearly variegated ... [though not in the pix] ..

the frost hides it in the second..

and in the first ... taken in october.. you have to imagine all the brown needles as spring white ...

and after this summers extreme heat and drought.. it wasnt showing much white yesterday.. you will just have to take my word on it ...

ken

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Ken: Ogon Janome and the word Vigor cannot be used in the same sentence. lol.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Then it's a 'Fukai' after all...

'Fukai' was found by Tage Lundell from Sweden.
    Later on Gordon Haddow offered it as 'Fukai Seedling'...

Original Author
    11 years ago

well.. a year later i bought fukai seedling also.. but it failed ...

and byron.. this is hilarious: Ogon Janome and the word Vigor cannot be used in the same sentence.

ken

• jinxz5
    11 years ago

Joy, Just want to be certain. 'Fukai' and 'Fukai Seedling' are the same cultivar? Thanks, Jay

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yep, they're...

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

"Ogon Janome and the word Vigor cannot be used in the same sentence. lol."

Au contraire!

My specimen here in western Washington grew over 2 feet in one year!
    Pinus parviflora 'Ogon-janome'
    {{gwi:610345}}

-Sam

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I would have never guessed that plant was 'Ogon-janome'. I always though the older needles maintained a strong variegation as well?

90% of plants grow faster in the PNW. You should give Midwest gardening a shot!lol!

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Hey, Will.
    The variegation isn't "strong" year-round. It is most obvious on new growth and in the winter.
    I do prefer the PNW climate for growing conifers. ;-)
    {{gwi:610358}}

-Sam

Original Author
    11 years ago

if it were most anyone besides sam .. i would suggest he was insane.. and the plant was mis-labeled ... i am with byron on this one.. maybe it only grows with vigor in ONE zipcode.. lol ...

sooo.. back to fukai ... no one has any opinion as to it being a look alike under a different name??? .. aka.. the same as ???? .. nearly the same as .. etc ????

ken

• carl2009
    11 years ago

The habit of your Pinus parviflora 'Fukai' is identical to mine. Mine is growing at a pretty good clip though. Maybe yours got grafted to a lethargic rootstock. My 'Fukai' has almost no signs of variegation right now in North Carolina. Variegation is strong with new needle set, and seems to fade out with the heat of late summer. Mine is a Coenosium graft.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Dredging up this old topic in the hope that we can settle the 'Shikoken'/'Fukai' debate. It has been on my mind recently.
    The two cultivars do look very similar..
    Perhaps someone could shed some gold-variegated light on the topic. Thanks!

-Sam