Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkie_in_toronto

trying to make sense of Cupressus in the Southeast

nikkie_in_toronto
11 years ago

I apologize because Im sure this has probably been addressed in the past, but I'm having the hardest time understanding this genus and all of the various name changes and species. I'm primarily interested in those that would do well in the coastal Southeast because I want to start a bit of a collection of them. I have incredibly sandy soil in downtown Charleston. Doing some research I have found an average minimum low of 25F/-4C and all time low of 10F/-12C. Obviously, summers are very humid with the average number of days above 90F/32C right around 50. Interestingly, downtown, along the water, the number of days above 90F are only 35.

I'm coming across mixed infromation regarding the hardiness and adapatbility of those such as cupressus cashmeriana, torulosa, himalaica, darjeelingensis. Some sources are listing them as one in the same.? I'm also interested in the adaptibility of c. funebris and c. lusitanica. I have been told by quite a few collectors in the south that c. macrocarpa is not suitable, yet it seems to be doing quite well in North Carolina. I am seeing c. glabra and sempervirens performing very well, but being overused many times. Any suggestions or first hand knowledge would be so appreciated!

Comments (7)