Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_larkin

Conifer for Low Light

Mike Larkin
12 years ago

I have a place about 7x7 near my front door that does not get lots of direct sun. Tall trees with dapled sun and a few hours of direct sun. One choice would be one of the varigated Pinus parviflora's Like �'Goldilocks' ( may get eventually get big for the spot) or 'Tanima no yuki' Or �Pinus parviflora 'Bergmani' . I would also consider Chamaecyparis obtusa - lots of nice smaller cultivar's but the Pinus parviflora has more focal interest. Zone 6

Any suggestions for low light conifers.

Mike

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yew.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

hey

any 'gold' plant.. may not gold up.. to the preferred level.. w/o sufficient light ...

most conifers will do OK in shade.. simply not growing to predicted annual growth rates.. they will grow slower ... but coloration might be adversely affected ...

when one gets to defining shade.. or available light.. based on words.. or even pix.. its very hard to make predictions ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Check out the Picea omorika and Pinus cembra cultivars.

Those are two species that seem to do well in lower light enviroments while maintaining their needles.

I've seen Pinus parviflora growing is shade but they are extremely open with a bit of growth at the tips, you won't want this for a 7x7 conifer.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

come on will.. he doesnt want a 7 x 7 foot conifer... he has a space of that size .. which means a 5 x 5 conifer at best.. or at least one that will take a decade to get to that size ...

no yuki will take two decades to get that size ... its extremely dwarf and slow growing.. much so in shade ...

goldilocks is a terminal plant.. and will die long before that.. lol ...

omorika also has great growth potential unless there are specific known dwarf's or minis.. of which i am not aware ...

he needs an very small conifer.. since it is being placed NEXT TO THE HOUSE ... near the front door

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Sure there are plenty...Picea omorika 'Zuckerhut' is one that I like. Its pyrimidal and will get what 6' x 4' in 30 years?

Pinus cembra 'Blue Mound' perhaps 6' x 4' in 20 years?

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken you are correct that I dont want it too large because of the location. The bed is close to the front door and I dont want it to grow too close to the walk. The other front bed has four yews and they are doing well, but I need a little change. I have seen Picea orientalis grow in shady maybe P o Conneticut Turnpike .
    I like both the Picea omorika and Pinus cembra , if I could find a small cultivar. Thanks Mike

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I like both the Picea omorika and Pinus cembra , if I could find a small cultivar.

I just gave you a suggestion of each species that has a slower growth rate than 'Conneticut Turnpike'.

Good Luck with your search.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Thuja occidentalis is spot on. You can find anything color-wise you need and size-wise. Same with Platycladus orientalis aka (formerly Thuja orientalis).

Dax

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all good ideas.

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

These are all photographs of plants I have on my want list which I've seen in friends gardens. A couple are not hardy for my area but would be for your area.

What about something like these?
    Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Curly Tops'

Abies balasamea 'Piccolo'

Picea glauca 'Burning Well'

Pinus banskia 'Chippewa'

Abies koreana 'Icebreaker'

Good luck in your decision. It is always exciting to pick a special plant for a specific area.