Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
childers_gw

Did anyone get a wollemi from National Geogaphic

childers
17 years ago

Just wondering if anyone ordered an received a wollemi pine from National Geographic, They were supposed to ship on 11/26/2006 and now their website said they are sold out and will ship on 04/15/2007.

Comments (56)

• childers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just recieved an email from a friend in South Carolina which reads.

"I just wanted to give you an update on my Wollemi. We had a record low two nights ago, of 11 degrees, which beat the last one in 1882. My Wollemi (not protected) came through with minor damage only to some small amounts new growth ( about an inch on four branches) which had not had time to harden since I planted it in early September."

That's abt -11.5C

• salicaceae
    17 years ago

Update....

I just received 2 of my 3 Wollemias today. They look great - although they are placed in metal pots with no drainage holes. This is a big no-no. I plan to repot mine tonight. I will be planting one in my home garden, donating one to the Univ. of Florida for planting on campus and keeping the 3rd as a potted plant for a while.

I do agree with Resin about time of shipment. It would be terrible if they lose some in transit due to cold. Fortunately that wasn't a problem for me, but I suspect it will be for others....

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

In Zone 4 its going to be an indoor plant

• salicaceae
    17 years ago

I guess its time to change my zone - I have moved to north Florida - zone 8. So here Wollemia nobilis should be expected to do quite well outside...

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Though even in north Florida, don't be too surprised if it gets knocked back by one of those freezes that periodically wrecks the Florida citrus industry

Resin

• fhollingshead
    17 years ago

Still waiting here; I'd been hoping to plant mine in a protected spot in late winter...looks like I'll have to wait. Just curious as to which extant member of the Araucariacea Wollemia nobilis most closely resembles in terms of hardiness. I'm sorta hoping it's like A bidwillii, perhaps?

I'm not so worried about the occasional frost as I am a steady run of low humidity days at 100+*F. Ar bidwillii doesn't mind but Ar cunninghamii seems to sulk, turn brown in spots and look very unhappy at those temps unless given shade whilst Ar angustifolia doesn't seem to mind at all. Ag robusta sulks as well at those temps/humidities but hasn't yet croaked and continues to grow.

So, what do the experts think?

Expectantly watching the UPS truck,

Frank

• cliff98
    17 years ago

I received mine yesterday. It was sent express air mail, which I wasn't expecting, so I got it the same day it was shipped from Florida. Mine will be a houseplant. If I had to compare it to another living conifer, it is more like a podocarp or even a Taxus than an Araucaria at this age. That might change as it grows.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Looks a bit like Cunninghamia in photos. Araucaria angustifolia can have a similar appearance.

• pineresin
    17 years ago

The juvenile foliage looks superficially like Cephalotaxus fortunei. But the adult doesn't, it looks like nothing else at all.

Resin

• childers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Expectantly watching the UPS truck,

Frank

Hi Frank,

It's Bruce here................

Just wondering if the Conifer Forum is ready for "the rest of the story"

The plants both here and in Oz are looking really good.

Regards

Bruce

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Cepahalotaxus seems like a good comparison. Sproutiness (multiple trunks) of wild trees in habitat shown in magazine article also reminded me of Cunninghamia.

• fhollingshead
    17 years ago

My question was not particularly about habit but about hardiness. What I was wondering was which of the Araucariacea shares a similar native habitat.

Interestingly, today I received a FedEx(been watching for the wrong truck...) letter promising delivery by Dec 29. And, yes Bruce, it's time for "the rest of the story" to be heard here.

Cheers,

Frank

• kman04
    17 years ago

It's been my understanding that first reports of winter hardiness for Wollemia look like it might be a zone 7 (or even zone 6 with good protection and a perfect spot) plant. This is quite unlike it's native habitat, which is probably a zone 10(maybe zone 9b?) area. So, it looks like, at least initially, it will prove to be much more cold hardy than one might guess based on it's native habitat and thus prove to be more hardy than most extant Araucariacea. But like I said, this is based on the preliminary reports. Longer term observations will provide much more detail on hardiness I'm sure.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Are we talking about brief exposures or periods of days or weeks, long enough to freeze the soil?

• kman04
    17 years ago

Good question. I haven't heard how long the cold exposures were for or if the soil was frozen and how deep, etc. Like I said these are initial reports and longer term observations will reveal much more about their cold hardiness.

• andy_fritze
    17 years ago

No, I never received one. I gave up.

I'm going to make this short, as this is a very long story.

I ordered the tree on August 24th. As soon as Wollemi Pine Club website said National Geographic was going to be the vendor in North America (long before it was on front page of the NG shopping site and before the e-mail was sent). I went to the National Geographic searched on Wollemi Pine. It was listed, so I ordered it.

I was informed by National Geographic twice that it shipped. But, the tree was never was delivered. Requiring me to e-mail them. Only after seven e-mails over the last six months, I was finally told to "You are welcome to preorder the Wollemi Pine for spring" and "The Trees are expected to ship on or around 4/15/07".

Needless to say, I'm very unhappy with National Geographic. I will just wait until someone else propagates the tree and purchase from them.

• dennisnj
    17 years ago

I recieved one after many delays. It was cut back quite a bit when I received it. I have it as a house plant. We'll see how it looks after one or two growing seasons.

Dennis

• kim_dirtdigger
    17 years ago

I received mine about mid-December. Not knowing what to expect, I think it looks pretty good, but mine also had the leader cut back. It seems to be sending up a new leader that has fresh growth at the top. It has about 7 branches, 3 of which are about 12" long. It arrived with a tight bud at the end of one branch, which just opened into fresh new needles. It seems to be doing very well as a house plant, and has been moved outside during mild, rainy days for fresh air and moisture. I forgot to bring it in one night when it dropped into the mid 30s, but it didn't seem to mind at all.

• neonrider
    17 years ago

I ordered one from NG store by finding it out on a Google ad. It cost me over $122 and I'm waiting for it to arrive as I ordered it like 2-3 days ago. I'll let you know once it arrives. NG told me on the phone that Wollemia is available and will be delivered to me in 5-7 days. Although I was surprised by the high cost of it and only 8-10" tall as they state and the high shipping cost of $22. They say it's for an Express Mail, but I know that Express Mail delivers in 1 or 2 days. Priority Mail delivers in 2-5 days (usually 2-3 days) and First Class mail delivers in 3-7 days. So their "express" mail is probably second class mail. I've also noticed how thin NG magazine has become and how many prescription drug adverts are in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mysterious World

• neonrider
    17 years ago

I'm still waiting for the Wollemi Pine to arrive. There were no news, no invoice, no response from NG so far after they told me I should receive mine in about 5 days. I suppose they don't have it available, but at least they could email me and let me know about that, cause there must be some reason why they put an authorization on my card for $122.90 and then it was removed and a complete silence for the last 2 weeks.

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

Overhere I ordered mine from Kernock park plants
    Cornwall

• no_spam_com
    17 years ago

Received mine today.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mysterious World

• lesliew
    17 years ago

Got mine beginning of January. By default, owing to the weather, it is currently a house plant, and doing well. Do I want to plant it outside in the Spring????

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

In Z7 I think it will be a house plant it is hardy
    to Z8 maybe take cuttings and try those outside.

• no_spam_org
    17 years ago

Do NOT buy wollemi pine from NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC store! I was charged extra for an Express Mail delivery, but N.G. shipped it via UPS GRound and delivered in one month as opposed to 2 days or overnight as they claim it to be. But that's not all. THe tree arrived with brown spots on it's "needles". National Geographic did not accept the tree back, but instead they said they will refund $5+$2 for the extra shipping cost and they said they will refund some or all the cost of the tree which I was going to return. They did not ask or authorize the return, but they told me the money $122.95 was refunded over a week ago. I only got $2.00 (two dollars) refunded. I called NG and they told me they refunded the money, but my bank says there was no refund nor nothing is coming this afternoon as well. I am cancelling my NG magazine subscription. National Geographic to me now same as SEARS is - never again.

• childers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Neonrider,

Unfortunately your experience appears to be pretty typical of the Wollemi pine/National Geographic debacle.

From what I understand many people have complained to the Federal Trade Commission about false and misleading advertising and Mail Fraud.

First they have them, then they don't, then they do and send them out not as purchased.

I'm sure glad I'm not responsible.

Sorta makes you wonder why they sent me a lawsuit claiming a million in damages for using the name.

Regards

Bruce

• neonrider
    17 years ago

Childers,

I'm not the lawsuit type of a person, but I wanted to warn others. National Geographic further lied to me about the refund, they blamed my bank that I did not receive the money back. Then after talking to 2 more representatives and asking them to please look well intro ther files and putting me on hold numerous times they finally admitted that the money has NOT been refunded and they promised that someone will get back in touch with me and will send me a fax, but so far no one did what they promised. The extra $5 that they charged for Express Mail (but shipped UPS Ground) was never refunded. They (NG) even strongly insisted for me to take the refund of the $99.95 as they said I have already donated the money in the past. I told them to NOT refund the tree cost, but only the $5 + $2 but they insisted and told me they will refund it all. I insisted simply exchanging my tree to a taller tree, but they did not proceed with that option. I'll let NG keep the money and I'll keep the midget tree which is called Wollemi Pine (barely 5 inches tall instead of 10-15" as promised) although now I'm not even sure if it is really a Wollemia Nobilis..... yet another dumped customer and another well known company that will go into my "never again" list. This was my first year to eagerly subscribe to NG Magazine and my hopes of becoming a long time NG customer are lost so is my trust to National Geographic and their new prescription-drug-overloaded magazine.

Greetings,

Neon Rider

Here is a link that might be useful: NG no rock no more

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Neonrider

Please could you post a picture of the wollemi pine
    you have if you think its something else

• eric_9b
    17 years ago

Other than ordering thru NG, is there another way to obtain a Wollemi Pine?

Eric
    Orlando,FL z9b/10a

• neonrider
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, there is no alternative way or source (so far) to order Wollemia Nobilis in the U.S. apart from National Geographic Store. I suggest that you wait until there is an alternative source for Wollemi Pine. I wouldn't feed NG a whopping $122.90. I wonder whether the money are actually being donated for the cause that NG claims, or goes to finance their magazine sales. NG Rep. on the phone told me that the trees are shipped by some other company in the name and on behalf of National Geographic. The tree that I received from NG is probably and most likely a Wollemia Nobilis, I did not say I doubt it, but I'll make a pic of it just in case and provide it below. The photos are of amateur quality since I'm not a professional photographer.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Wollemia Nobilis

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Yep, that's the real thing, even if it is less than half the size of what they promised.

Resin

• neonrider
    17 years ago

Since "WOLLEMI" has been trademarked, I propose to popularly rename "Wollemi Pine" (since it is NOT a pine anyway) to the following one or both names:

Araucaria Downunder
    Lil' Aussie

Wollemia Nobilis will reman the scientific name of the tree.

Wannabe Dad of Lil' Aussie :-)

Cheers

Neon Rider

• shona_gardener
    16 years ago

Hi

I am from Australia and i was thinking of purchasing a Wollemi Pine for a friend getting married soon.

I noticed alot of you weren't happy with the quality of the Wollemi Pines. Has this improved?

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"I noticed alot of you weren't happy with the quality of the Wollemi Pines"

The problem seems to be specifically with one distributor in the USA. Should be no problem in Australia.

Resin

• shona_gardener
    16 years ago

The problem seems to be specifically with one distributor in the USA. Should be no problem in Australia.

Sorry - i meant my friend lives in the US and i wanted to purchase one over there.

• childers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From what I have seen the quality is pretty patchy, some look OK and are 8" tall max, and someone bought one by the Nursery to show me the other day and it was a dead 5" stick.

Mine that I privately imported are growing well and are over 3' tall now.

• glen3a
    16 years ago

I was very excited when I heard we could now order them in Canada until I read the $149 price tag. I'll wait. It would be different if I could plant it directly outside but it's alot to pay for a patio plant (though I would have 'bragging' rights). The plants offered to Canada are (supposedly) a bit larger, 16 to 24" in a six-inch pot. You have your choice of color of pot (not a real big selling feature as most gardeners would transplant them anyways).

I suppose it's no different with other plants at the nursery/garden center. They charge a certain price for a one-gallon potted rose. Sometimes you can find a rose that's a fairly decent size in that pot, other times you look and think the rose in the one-gallon pot isn't worth the price.

Hopefully they will be more widely available soon. Aren't there plants to have them available at select garden centers in North America in the next few years? The nice thing about that is you can view the product before you buy it.

Glen

• goted
    16 years ago

Hi Glen,

In Vancouver, BC there are several garden centres selling them. One is selling them for $139.99.
    Maybe the price wars will begin.

• glen3a
    16 years ago

Oh neat! I thought they were just exclusively through the website thus far. If anyplace in Canada has the perfect climate to grow Wollemi it's probably in BC, so it makes sense they'd be available there first.

Glen

• pyro87
    16 years ago

I git mine about a week and half ago now from a garden center and it seems to be doing good. One of the branches is growing and the top is has new growth on it as well.
    I paid $200 for mine at the only place in my city that has them.

• goted
    16 years ago

They are now selling in BC for $69.99. Maybe I'll buy 20 and drive to Alberta.

• pyro87
    16 years ago

If you do, I'll buy a second one off of you, at a discounted price I would hope. ;)

• yugoslava
    16 years ago

I found out about this plant about 4 or 5 years ago. The story was incredible and I even used it as screen saver for several years. During this time I heard plants will be eventually available for sale. I had concerns regarding temperature, I live in Toronto. Now that it is being sold some people are trying to monopolize on the sale and I still have not seen a living specimen. I am involved in horticulture and nowhere have I seen this tree for sale. So much promise and excitement and in the end disappointment for many!

• philinsydney1
    16 years ago

the southern edge of the Wollemi wilderness, where it becomes the Blue Mountains.
    The pines are out there somewhere....

• torreya-2006
    16 years ago

So could new species (conifers) thats a nice wilderness
    we need more of it!

• neonrider
    15 years ago

Despite my past troubles with NG I was offered wollemi pine at a discount price ($89.41 including shipping; or $69.30 for the tree alone) and I ordered one tree (I should have ordered two or three) on 17th Nov. 2008 and it arrived on 26th Nov. 2008. The shippers charged my card on the same day I placed an order, but shipped it several days after I made an inquiry on why they charge card before shipping. Not a problem. I received a much larger tree and in a nice shape this time (great!), but am not planting it outside; it will stay in the house at least for a year or two, until it becomes at least 5 ft. tall, so I can try planting it outside (in Columbia SC). So my request is - could someone advise what soil to use to replant it into a much larger pot? I bought a huge package of "SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS". Should I mix 50% of it with any kind of soil? Last time I planted wolemia in a regular soil outside and it d(r)ied. Perhaps it was too young, or it was too cold, too little or too much water or the wrong soil. Please advise exactly what soil to use and where to buy it. Thanks very much in advance for your advise!

• sequoia_stiffy
    15 years ago

Finally, a post that's not related to cultivars...

{{gwi:860674}}

This stuff comes with Mychorizzae in it. I wouldn't use sphagnum moss. Wollemis need actual soil. they're not epiphytes. I ordered two and used happy frog and they're both doing great. I donated one to the garfield park conservatory here in chicago and after having it for three weeks three or four of it's shoots have about three inches of brand new, bright green growth on it.

It seems, like a lot of conifers, over-watering is the easiest way to give this tree a hard time. But then again, it shouldn't be allowed to be parched. Just keep an eye on it and be a good parent, no direct sun until it's acclimated and growing healthy, and monitor the wetness/dryness of it daily. In Australia they sell the Wollemi with a mychorizzae packet, so that Happy Frog stuff should be good since it comes with it. I'll warn you though, since it's quality stuff it's going to cost you more than the four dollar bag of peat-moss potting soil you'll get at home depot.

Good luck.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Hi stiffy...you had to look long and hard (did I really just say that?) to find a posting of interest to you.

How's the WEATHER in Chicago?

Barbara

• pinetree30
    15 years ago

What makes you think that the mycorrhiza in that sack of soil is going to be able to infect Wollemia? Mycs are very diverse, and so are the needs of conifer species. Don't get your hopes too high.

• sequoia_stiffy
    15 years ago

"infect"? Ahem...You mean...inoculate?