Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Identify these two incredibly rare fir trees

monkeytreeboy15
12 years ago

Hello, everyone. I need some help identifying these uncommon Abies species The first tree I received as Abies squamata, and I am doubting its authenticity. Please either confirm or deny the allegations of its "squamata-hood."

beginnings of flaky bark?

{{gwi:861321}}

a close-up of the buds and quite sharp needles..

{{gwi:861322}}

a branch:

{{gwi:861323}}

a close-up of the needles and branchlets:

{{gwi:861324}}

the undersides of the needles:

{{gwi:861325}}

This final fir tree was purchased as Abies gamblei which I have also seen listed as Abies pindrow var. brevifolia. In my opinion, the tree does not resemble Abies pindrow that closely, and I believe it should be classified as its own species. Please let me know what you think this fir tree may be.

{{gwi:861326}}

the whole tree:

{{gwi:843554}}

a close-up of the buds: quite resinous

{{gwi:861327}}

the twigs are quite orange and the needles are the darkest green I have seen on a fir tree.

{{gwi:861328}}

The needles have very prominent white bands on the undersides of the thick, dark green, blunt-tipped needles:

{{gwi:861329}}

{{gwi:861330}}

Thank you for your help in identifying these special trees.

-Sam

Comments (14)

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

The first are probably Abies ernestii or maybe recurvata
    The 2 th are from delavay group, maybe forrestii.

Abies gamblei
    Clement

• pineresin
    12 years ago

I'm thinking Abies holophylla for the first.

Agree A. forrestii for the second.

Clément's A. gamblei is correctly labelled, and shows nicely just how distinct it is.

Resin

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Sam, how do you obtain such incredible specimens at such an incredibly young age?

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Resin and Clement for your wisdom regarding these firs. Does Abies forrestii have orange twigs and resinous buds typically?

These two trees came from Don Howse at Porterhowse Farms, and he receives most of his plants from R & R Nursery, his wholesale sister nursery.
    His nursery/pinetum are very nice to tour. If you ever find yourself out in Oregon, you should make certain to visit. You will find yourself leaving with several plants as well!

-Sam

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

No, NO, not holophylla.
    Here is Abies holophylla

Abies holophylla.
    Clement

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do either of you Clement or Resin, have pictures of Abies squamata for comparison?

Thank you.

-Sam

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Yes, in the next days.
    Clement

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Clement.
    Is it possible that the second one is Abies georgei? or is this the same as forrestii?

-Sam

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"Is it possible that the second one is Abies georgei? or is this the same as forrestii?"

Virtually the same - georgei is just a higher altitude variant of forrestii with pubescent shoots. Best treated as Abies forrestii var. georgei.

Resin

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Today, between strong wind, rain or sun, I photographied my Abies squamata :

I don' understand how is possible to mix this species so typical, needles bluish with many stomats, colour of the twigs, trunk !!!! at young age !
    I don't understand.
    Clement

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

That bark is amazing!

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, definitely not squamata for the first one.
    Thank you for posting your pictures and that beautiful bark! It makes my want for this elusive tree all the greater.

Is it safe to consider the second one Abies forrestii?
    Is it var. georgei?

Thank you again!

-Sam

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Sam check for pubescence on the youngest wood.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The youngest wood lacks pubescence. This means that it is likely just Abies forrestii. Thanks for the identification help, everyone!

Should I enter Abies recurvata for the first one in my database?

-Sam