Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Early winter golds

whaas_5a
11 years ago

Right now many winter golds are still looking chartreuse but a couple in particular are showing off.

With the exception of this past week, November has had lows steady in the 20s.

Pinus mugo 'Carstens'
{{gwi:861365}}

Abies n. 'Golden Spreader' Looks quite bonded but was almost growing at a 90 degree angle.
{{gwi:861367}}

Comments (9)

• thedecoguy
    11 years ago

Wonderful colour. The "carstens" looks terrific.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

How beautiful deep, warm yellow color!

And I like a lot these nice green ribbons!!:) So sweetly....

On your z5 nordmanianas feel good? I long wanted to give it a try....

Ireena

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Love that 'Carstens'. I snagged one at the ACS Auction out here in Oct - not sure I'll ever get the color that you get, though (it's 60 here right now!)
    Sara

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

There are a good number of Pinus mugo cultivars that turn a brilliant gold color in the winter.

Pinus mugo 'Carstens' has a yellow-gold color that intensifies toward the needle tips.
    {{gwi:600811}}
    {{gwi:600812}}

'Amber Gold' is a similar cultivar that has a deeper golden color which is almost orange. In my opinion, it is more outstanding than that of 'Carstens', although both are excellent winter-gold pines.
    {{gwi:600813}}
    {{gwi:600815}}
    {{gwi:600814}}

p.s. I posted this in the gallery side, but no one goes there any more apparently..

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Who needs a difficult 'Chief Joseph' anyway?
    There are so many other good winter yellow pines.

Will, why are you staking your 'Golden Spreader'?
    As this cultivar name says, it's a spreading one.
    At a later age it develop a leader by it's own, without staking :0)

Sam, you're right about the gallery side, it seems that only a few of us participate there.
    That's why I showed "My new Picea pungens cultivars corner" here at the discussion side...

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forget about the gallery section on a regular basis to tell you the truth. I was hoping others would show their early yellows as well. This time of year can be the worst when there is no snow on the ground, so the yellow really stands out.

I gave the GS a helping hand since it already had an obvious leader. The plant was at a 90 degree angle where you see the lowest green tie. It wouldn't have filled in nicely otherwise since it has what I call two dimensional branching, or a side branch graft.

Thanks for the comments and additional pics!

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' with accompanying Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Rimpelaar'

Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' Got this plant for free from Coenosium Gardens! Looking great now.

Pinus sylvestris 'Aurea'

Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold' with powder-blue Artemisia ludoviciana ssp. candicans in the background

-Sam

• abciximab
    11 years ago

We havn't seen cold weather yet. Yellows are slow to turn this year.

Pinus mugo 'Winter Sun' 'Wintersonne' 'Winter Sonne'

• severnside
    11 years ago

Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' been glowing for months, now a fluorescent acid yellow rather than deep gold.