Houzz Logo Print
torreya_2006

Thuja sutchuenensis

torreya-2006
17 years ago

Just seen some photos of this conifer in the

forthcoming book conifers from around the world

however im not sure if the main photo is the

true species at the tree is 60 to 65 ft tall.

The true species has been rediscovered and

previously thought to be extinct.It only grows

to 30ft tall.Photos can be found at

www.dendropress.com

Comments (26)

• pineresin
    17 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with it. Remember not a lot of specimens were found the first relocation, and that it goes on to say "Trees were later also found in the Guammian Shan north of Kai Xian", no reason these should not have been larger than the first set found. Their foliage photos also look to show the real thing.

Resin

• torreya-2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Because its so rare I wonder if the Chinese will
    send seed out and spread it around the world like
    the wollemi pine. It would be fantastic.

• conifers
    17 years ago

That's what I was hoping/thinking too torreya.

Dax

• pineresin
    17 years ago

It took them 45 years to allow Cathaya out, and longer (not yet, as far as I know) for Nothotsuga . . . I wouldn't get your hopes up too much!

Resin

• torreya-2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Dax and Resin

I know that a few American nurserys list
    Thuja sutchuenensis but they are probably
    all fakes.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Probably the Chinese still feel they have been plundered by the West and want to closely control the flow of plants out, rare items in particular only being available as commodities for which they get money - if at all.

• ospreynn
    16 years ago

Forest farm seems to have it.. is it possible?? any remarkable characteristics. What other conifers grow where it grows.

osprey

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Like other retailers they'd just be taking the suppliers' word for it - at least initially. If there really aren't any of the true item on the market here (I have no idea myself) then would have to be something else.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

The ones ForestFarm have been selling turned out to be Thuja occidentalis. This question came up before a while back (probably dropped off the end of page 67 by now).

Resin

• affliction-acs
    16 years ago

A few weeks ago I received Thuja sutchuenensis cuttings from a very reputable arborteum. I'm not sure how commercial this plant will ever become and will likely always be difficult to find.
    Darren

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Affliction-acs,

Considering that the Chinese authorities have not yet released propagation material of the species subsequent to its rediscovery, it is safe to assume your plants are not correctly labelled. Sorry!

Resin

• torreya-2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Affliction-acs

Please could you post a photo of the Thuja sutchuensis cuttings you have.
    I think they could be T occidentalis or T standishii also might
    be T plicata x standishii.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Yes: Seller's public image is one thing, correct identification of specific offering another. Who it came from does not establish with certainty what it is. Famous multi-million dollar nurseries sell mislabeled stock.

• affliction-acs
    16 years ago

Hi Torreya and Resin,

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. I'm sure I can figure it out(how to post them).

One thing for sure is that they are not Thuja occidentalis. I produce them by the thousands and have over 110 cultivars of Thuja occidentalis, no resemblence at all. It's not Thuja standishii either as I have 5 nice specimens in my arboretum along with it's hybrid Thuja plicata x standishii and Thuja standishii Wakehurst and a supposed witches broom of standishii that I was given cuttings of. The needles so much more coarse then these cuttings I stuck a couple weeks ago.

I hope you can help out. I just grafted several Metasequoia neopangea scions. Is this a sub species? No info to be found. Do anybody have any info on this plant?

Thanks,
    Darren

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"Metasequoia neopangaea" is a fraud - it's just ordinary M. glyptostroboides. The tree it was 'described' from is in a public park in New York.

The perpetrator of this fraud is the same person who first distributed the fake Thuja sutchuenensis plants.

Resin

• torreya-2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm Maybe your cuttings are Platycladus orientalis the
    photos will be interesting.

• affliction-acs
    16 years ago

My simple copy and paste plan simply isn't working. How do I post photos here from the desk top.

Darren

• pineresin
    16 years ago

You need to put them on a photo-hosting website such as photobucket, then link them from there to here

I gather there's some good instructions on the GW Hosta Forum FAQ.

Resin

• affliction-acs
    16 years ago

Don't ya just hate newbies?

I hope I have this right. In both photos the Thuja sutchuenensis is on the left. By the time I got to the greenhouse today it was getting dark so the photos didn't turn out that great. Sticking cuttings and grafting are much easier than pointing and shooting.

As you can see it is such much finer than standishii even though the characteristics are very similar.
    I even went through all the green plicata and Platycladus cultivars and I have. None have the same 'nodding' tips that I have seen on the 'sutchuenensis' photo and standishii plants. If it isn't sutchuenensis, I believe it is a sub species of standishii or an unnamed cultivar of standishii. Whatever it is, it sure is more elegant and finely textured.

Your thoughts would be great.
    Thanks,
    Darren

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:862030}}

• torreya-2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its chamacyparis thyoides not a Thuja

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Torreya,

Methinks your first guess was better - it looks like Platycladus orientalis to me.

Resin

• affliction-acs
    16 years ago

Hi Folks,

I have been doing some digging here. These cuttings are supposed to have come 2nd generation from the plant that is in the Arnold Arboretum which according to its accension was collected in China. You can search through the database at the Arnold Arboretum for a little bit more info on the plant.

I have 2 specimens of Platycladus orientalis my arboretum. One is about 175cm and the other is about 100cm. I also have 11 cultivars of this plant. There is almost no resemblance to the branching, scale structure and nodding tips and the orientalis.

I did look at a key map today on Cham. thyoides. Unfortunately, I don't have a specimen of the species however, I do have Cham. thyoides var. Henryae and 7 or 8 other cultivars. I can't see any resemblance to ones I have. The needles are so fine and lacy on thyoides. Hopefully, I will be able to find the species somewhere and purchase one.

I really have it in mind to run over to Jamaica Plains this summer and see this Thuja sutchuenensis specimen they have listed.

I visited Dr. James Cruise a retired Professor of Botany at Cornell and University of Toronto this morning. He went to China in 1966 or 68 I forget, with several colleagues on a plant expedition. He said nobody was allowed to take anything from the forests where they were researching but photos and/or drawings and their guides kept a pretty close watch on everyone. However, a couple of his collegues "liberated" some seeds and twigs of dormant plants anyway. He knows the tree but couldn't verify one way or another if he had come across it in his travels.

But I found his story a bit amusing. I have another botanist friend who may at least give me some direction as to who can solve this puzzle. He is currently in Venezuela on a plant collecting trip in the mountains. Although he specializes sub and tropical plants he is very well connected.

Anyways, I'm going watch them grow and wait it out a few years. One way or another they will be positively identified even if I send them to the lab for genetic testing.

Torreya and Resin, thank you very much for your input. Once I know what they are, I will definitely let you know. I will get to the bottom of it yet.

Darren

• raul_kender
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I am curious about this tree, and since the last post in this thread dates from 2008, I ask the same question again,
    Does anyone know if Thuja sutchuenensis exists in any arboretum, botanical garden in the western countries?
    thanks.

• pineresin
    9 years ago

No change that I'm aware of.

Resin

• blue_yew
    9 years ago

No its not in cultivation yet however its related
    to Thuja standishii.