Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ravendonkey

yunnanensis and taiwania

ravendonkey
16 years ago

I'm thinking of getting a pinus yunnanensis from a mail order nursery. I had given up on the idea as I've read it's similar to pinus tabuliformis and I'm really after fine needled pines like weymouth and montezuma. However, I've just read anotherp osting where it sounds quite attractive to me. Can someone tell me whether it is hard and thick needled like tabuliformis and pinus nigra subsp. nigra or if it is fine. Thank you. Oh, also, what is the likelihood of taiwania cuttings taking? I've got them in pots in platic bags and have used roting compound.

Comments (8)

• pineresin
    16 years ago

It is fairly long and slender-needled, though I fear will be a bit marginal in terms of hardiness.

Pinus densata below is somewhat shorter needled and also hardier (native in the same general area, but at higher altitudes); how does this one look to you?

Taiwania shouldn't be too difficult from cuttings.

Resin

• torreya-2006
    16 years ago

Hi Resin

Is pinus yunnanensis resricted to southern Britain?
    and is pinus shenkanensis the same as pinus densata?

• pinetree30
    16 years ago

Weymouth? Weymouth? Please!

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    16 years ago

pinetree30, I don't understand, are we not allowed to use common names here. Granted that is apparently only the british common name for the Eastern White Pine, Pinus strobus. I'm surprised that plant is common enough in the UK to warrant a common name.

Pineresin, know anything about a Pine hybrid called Pinus 'Mercury'? Supposely a Pinus griffithii X P. parviflora hybrid. Yeah I know P. griffithii is supposed to be P. wallichiana now. There are some large Pinus wallichiana at the Patuxent Valley Nursery in Howard Co. MD, between DC and Baltimore so I know they grow here. I guess I'm looking for something vaguely white pine-ish, but rarer, and this seems like it would fit the bill. Might be faster growing than white pine, too.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi David - I've heard of the hybrid of that parentage before, but not that particular cultivar.

I'm with pinetree30 on this, I don't like calling Pinus strobus "Weymouth Pine" either, not least because Weymouth was a rather nasty piece of work: "Capt. Weymouth had his men kidnap two Indians in a very brutal manner" (from link below). Not exactly a good ambassador for England! I don't think he deserves to have the tree named after him.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rootsweb.com/~mosmd/squanto.htm

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    16 years ago

Hhhmmmmm. I see the concern but are you sure there's a connection between that individual and the naming of the pine? I defer to your expertise of course. But there is a town in Massachusetts called Weymouth, and a rather patrician New England family with that surname, into which Washington Post publisher daughter Lally Weymouth married. (and, in a twist of fate worth mentioning at this point, I briefly knew someone from this family when I was "at university")

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    16 years ago

Found this:
    http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pinewh36.html

Coming from the East coast, where these trees are bog standard as far south as the DC suburbs where I grew up, it's hard to imaging them generating such excitement.

I wonder if the town in Mass. was named after him too.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Here's another ref.

Of course back in 1605, much larger trees were common then, and were also considerably larger than anything occurring not just in Britain but virtually the whole of Europe. So not too much surprise they caused a stir.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Maine Forest Facts