Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olreader

Does this juniper form have a name?

olreader
10 years ago

It's not columnar, and I don't think it's creeping? the tallest part is about two feet high, it seems lower than the bushes that are pruned into box shapes.

Comments (18)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Try "mounding". If you want suggestions of which variety it is closer views will be needed.

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Does the bush/hedge form have a fancier name?

Here's another picture, I don't know if it's good enough to tell a variety.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Probably Juniperus ÃÂ pfitzeriana, but could be Juniperus sabina.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how often is or was it completely crushed with snow load ... over the years????

can we make any presumptions as to shape.... with all the crushing???

unlike other forums.. and this time of year.. you are going to have to give us a few days.. for all of us to roll thru ...

ken

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It gets a lot of snow, and the dog loves to sit on top of it, especially when it's frozen. But I don't think any of that has changed the shape.

It's like a lot of long ropy branches lying on top of each other and going all the way back to the base. I'll try to take more pictures tomorow.

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This photo shows the long branches that lie on top of each other. Probably that is common to many junipers. If some expert can identify a variety that is great but I am satisfied with the mounding juniper term. Two or three years ago I cut off about 50 of the longest branches at the base. We are going out of town for Christmas this year, but next December I will cut more branches off for decorations.

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a closer pic. I probably will wait until the snow melts to take an overall picture of the plant.

10 years ago

It gets a lot of snow, and the dog loves to sit on top of it, especially when it's frozen. But I don't think any of that has changed the shape.

==>>> how big is the dog... lol ...

ken

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dog is 33 lbs. She also likes to perch on a big (3 ft tall) Potentilla bush when then are frozen--that hasn't happened yet this winter. Potentillas are pretty wimpy bushes but they don't seem to mind the weight.

She looks like snoopy and I guess she thinks she's safe in her bush.

Here is a link that might be useful: this is what she looks like in the juniper and the Potentilla especially

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Here's a closer pic"

Yep, Juniperus ÃÂ pfitzeriana.

Resin

10 years ago

soooo .. resin has spoken.. see link for what they can look like without fido using them as a lazyboy ... lol ... joy might also pop in with a cultivar name ...

it is what it is.. though snow load has made it somewhat squashed.. IMHO .... since fido is not some mastiff or some such.. he is evil .. or she.. but probably not hurting the plant all and all ...

if anything... i would speculate.. lack of full sun... is not making it.. perform to its best ... but so what ...

i flipped back thru your posts... was there anything else you want to know.. other than name ????

they root to some extent... should you wish to duplicate such .... but it would take years for them to grow to size.. and if you peruse the link.. i am not sure.. that small yard.. could handle many of them.. as the decades roll by ..

let me suggest.. now that you found us.. and we are good enablers .... that you can do so much better.. than these plain old bigboxstore junipers .... you can even do better in terms of plants that would make better doggy beds.. lol ...

next question.. if you please ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks resin!

I'm actually very happy with this juniper, I have ignored it for two or three years and it is bright and green and symmetrical and still alive. All I've ever done to it is spend an hour or so cutting off some branches and carrying them away.

All the trees that the previous owners planted ten years ago are now 25+ feet tall and shading out all the nice roses, ornamental strawberries, peonies etc they planted.

I am drawing up a plan of the back yard and the trees and wanted to know what to call this juniper, not sure I have enough room on the drawing to show it though.

This post was edited by olreader on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 17:13

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a little sparse in the middle maybe (not that you can tell from these pics)

This post was edited by olreader on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 17:10

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But I like it

10 years ago

a more descriptive name... since you want to call it something ... would be some version of:

Juniperus ÃÂ pfitzeriana var. prostrata

the prostarta part describing its form ... rather than its heritage/gene pool ...

another alternative would be:

Juniperus ÃÂ pfitzeriana 'prostrata' ... but then we would all have to start arguing about the use of a cultivar name.. as well using latin inside the quotes.. etc .l.. and it would have the potential to get real ugly ... lol ...

see link for variations on a theme ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: some cultivars enjoying full sun... and little root competition ....

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Did you just cut the more upright branches? I ask, because the pfitzerianas I see are way more upright. Around 35 degrees.
    Mike

• olreader
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I only cut off the longest branches which were touching the ground, I cut them off all the way at the base. That was 2 years ago I think, I've lived here 3.5 years. That's the only thing I've ever done to it. It's looked the same the whole time, we got the dog 1.5 years ago and she does like to sit in the middle sometimes, mostly when I'm chasing her, but I don't think the shape has changed.

This post was edited by olreader on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 8:26

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I have to wonder about this being a Pfitzer also. Anyway, if it is one currently in general commerce there you can probably find it at a plant outlet some time, get a cultivar name that way - or cut a representative branch and take it to an independent garden center, see if someone there can identify it.