Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confier hedge for this narrow, shady spot? (Photos)

Posted by jlc102482 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 13:37

I am trying to figure out what type of conifers would be best to plant as a barrier between my property and the house next door. Here is a photo of the area:

Another view:

FYI, our property line extends beyond the white fence, as the house next door was built right on the line. (We wouldn't plant anything right against the house, of course).

Needless to say, the house next door isn't exactly pleasant to look at. Also, its occupants don't have curtains in any of their windows which gives us views we would rather not have. Accordingly, my goal is a tall visual barrier that will hopefully also block some sound. Here are my hopes:

- a conifer so the barrier will be effective year-round
- something that gets at least two stories high
- something that will do okay with some shade
- columnar shape is probably a must if it's going to fit
- relatively fast growing, if at all possible ;)

The gravel path in the photo can be removed to accommodate plantings if need be.

I was thinking a thuja hedge, but this area is not in full sun. Would thuja be a good choice, or would something else work better? Any ideas or thoughts on this or other types of tall visual barriers would be excellent! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confier hedge for this narrow, shady spot? (Photos)

cupressus sempervirens 'Swane's Golden' is a nice one. Really narrow, but might be pushing it in your zone.

o

Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'

grows about a foot or two per year.. in full sun ...

at 10 feet.. maybe 1.5 feet wide ...

hard to tell how much shade.. and how it will affect the growth rate ....

see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Leylandii, alternate with green and gold specimens? Or Thuja plicata for an all green wall. Or how about C. macrocarpa 'Goldcrest'-might be a bit tender tho.

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapoli (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 11:14

I grow Degroot's in mostly shade...they look great

o

@ade, whats a Degroot?

o

Larry, did you hit Ken's "Clicky Thing"?

tj

o

@tj, ah, I totally didnt see ken's post!

o

Thanks so much, all!

o

@ken
Degroots Spire makes a nice specimen but being so narrow means you,'d need more for a hedge! Whereas with Leylandii or Lawson's Cypress you get a wider tree so more bang for your buck!

o

I'm new here. So happy to have found this thread. I've got a similar problem (opportunity? :)
The lots in my older, inner ring, Boston suburb (midburb?)
are narrow. OUr driveway is 18 inches from our house. My neighbor's driveway is separated by barely 5 feet. There are huge weed tree Norway maples growing pretty much right on the property line, towering over both of our three story houses.
This is the north west exposure from my house.
The maples are ugly, infested with winter moths that produce masses of green worms, eat through the leaves, poop all over us, the houses, the cars. Think of a 1/4 inch layer of black kernals of poop. It's bad. They're coming down. This is ok with the neighbor as long as we pay for it. I'm at the point I can't stand it.

I need something to put in that give some screen quickly, will top out at <30 feet and are evergreen here in zone 6-A.

What would make a nice narrow evergreen hedge. I'm thinking about 10 feel in length?

Please help me. These worms and their poop!. I don't want to spray even if I could reach to the tops.
thanks for reading my long complaint and request.
Kate

o

Tsuga canadensis? Am I missing something? Late to the party?? :)

Wonderful tree, shade tollerant, very dense, relatively fast growing, should be OK in your zone(double check), and they look GOOD.

o

Hi,
Thanks for your message, Firefighter. You're not late to the party, I was late getting into the discussion with my question and similar problem
I love Tsuga canadensis ( Eastern Hemlock.)
Sadly here in New England, the wooly adelgid is killing all of the Eastern Hemlocks. There are forests of these once beautiful trees denuded and dead from these nasty things.

I have an Eastern Hemlock on our lot,right now. We're fighting the horrible adelgids with horticultural oil, but we're losing. The arborist from Arnold Arboretum has suggested injecting Merit into the tree to save it.

We'll have to go with something else for a privacy screen to remedy the problem spot on other side of the lot.
I'm still thinking. The weed maples are coming down in two weeks no matter what!
Any suggestions welcome for a slender strip 5' wide, between two driveways, between two houses that are only 20' feet apart, and is:
Evergreen
Able to withstand ice and snow,
Tops out at ~20-30' max
Narrow
Tolerates part shade.

This is sounding like a tall slender yew. Is there one that will grow fast? It's a lot to ask of a plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here