Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inbloomington

Evergreen screen for shade and clay soil

inbloomington
17 years ago

Hi --

I'd like to plant an everygreen screen to block out the view of the neighbor's dog run. The area is 100 feet long and there are 4 large mature maple trees shading it already. I'm in Southern Indiana, so I've got heavy clay soil. This site is at the top of a small rise (3 feet, apx.) so it should be well-drained, as that goes around here!

Of course, I want this to grow as fast as possible, as in yesterday. :-) I'd like to go for a more natural, woodsy look, rather than a straight line of arborviate or a trimmed hedge. One last requirement -- I'd rather the trees not get too huge, since there are power lines right over the property line. (So white pines are out) Oh, and I have a toddler, so nothing poisonous -- Yews are out too.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Jeanette

Comments (9)

• picea
    17 years ago

I have had good success growing hemlocks in that type of location. As long as it drains OK the soil shouldn't be a problem. Just mulch well to make sure they don't get to dry until they get established. David

• joydveenc7
    17 years ago

Hemlocks sound really nice. Another choice is chamaecyparis pisifera - some are soft with trailing branch ends and come in a variety of sizes, shades of green to gold.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

I am having good luck with eastern red cedar (juniperus virginiana) in shade near sugar maples, clay, alkaline soil. Going on 2 seasons now they are growing very well.

• conifers
    17 years ago

That sounds like a local nursery purchase and a pricey one. To plant species trees, you'd be planting the wrong thing as they'd reach into the canopies too soon and just aren't the right plant.

You'll need a mixture of larger potted plants like PJM Rhododendron, Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd', Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe', Tsuga canadensis 'Pendula' (staked to achieve height), Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag', Any large-sized broadleaved Rhododendrons, Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White', any Tsuga canadensis cultivar; you could add Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' as it's deciduous branch structure is dense. Large Potted Hollies & Boxwoods. You could tuck in Japanese Maples. Then again when winter strolls along, all the leaves on the Rhodies will curl up.

I don't know. Hemlocks would be your overall best choice.

Dax

• inbloomington
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it will be hemlocks, but maybe I'll get creative and mix it up a bit.

• midwestjeff
    17 years ago

what about the wolly adelgids; that may threaten them and they don`t tolerate drought well either.

• picea
    17 years ago

American holly looks nice in that setting. They are slow growing but if you are going to mix thing it might work. You could also mix in a Bracken Brown Beauty Southern magnolia if there is not to much wind. David

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    17 years ago

not a conifer but a broadleaf evergreen that would add some diversity to the conifers - Viburnum 'Pragense'.

Evergreen, but can defoliate from sever winter conditions (as can the holly), but re-spouts new foliage and stems the following spring. Can go about 10-12 feet tall and as wide. Google can provide you more info. This plant has proved to be reliably hardy here in the Dayton Ohio area.

• csdaur_netscape_net
    15 years ago

Junipers won't grow in the shade they will eventually thin and look spindly.
    You can use Cryptomeria japonica 'Yoshino' /Japanese Cedar (fast growing) but must have good drainage. add sand and/or gravel to soil when planting or Leyland cypress and trim them ( they get tall) I hand prune mine for a natural look. These are not heavy evergreens so they shouldn't interfere with wires.