Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen screen for shade and clay soil

Posted by inbloomington IN (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 13:42

Hi --

I'd like to plant an everygreen screen to block out the view of the neighbor's dog run. The area is 100 feet long and there are 4 large mature maple trees shading it already. I'm in Southern Indiana, so I've got heavy clay soil. This site is at the top of a small rise (3 feet, apx.) so it should be well-drained, as that goes around here!

Of course, I want this to grow as fast as possible, as in yesterday. :-) I'd like to go for a more natural, woodsy look, rather than a straight line of arborviate or a trimmed hedge. One last requirement -- I'd rather the trees not get too huge, since there are power lines right over the property line. (So white pines are out) Oh, and I have a toddler, so nothing poisonous -- Yews are out too.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Jeanette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen screen for shade and clay soil

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 16:22

I have had good success growing hemlocks in that type of location. As long as it drains OK the soil shouldn't be a problem. Just mulch well to make sure they don't get to dry until they get established. David

o

Hemlocks sound really nice. Another choice is chamaecyparis pisifera - some are soft with trailing branch ends and come in a variety of sizes, shades of green to gold.

o

I am having good luck with eastern red cedar (juniperus virginiana) in shade near sugar maples, clay, alkaline soil. Going on 2 seasons now they are growing very well.

o

That sounds like a local nursery purchase and a pricey one. To plant species trees, you'd be planting the wrong thing as they'd reach into the canopies too soon and just aren't the right plant.

You'll need a mixture of larger potted plants like PJM Rhododendron, Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd', Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe', Tsuga canadensis 'Pendula' (staked to achieve height), Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag', Any large-sized broadleaved Rhododendrons, Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White', any Tsuga canadensis cultivar; you could add Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' as it's deciduous branch structure is dense. Large Potted Hollies & Boxwoods. You could tuck in Japanese Maples. Then again when winter strolls along, all the leaves on the Rhodies will curl up.

I don't know. Hemlocks would be your overall best choice.

Dax

o

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it will be hemlocks, but maybe I'll get creative and mix it up a bit.

o

what about the wolly adelgids; that may threaten them and they don`t tolerate drought well either.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 22:24

American holly looks nice in that setting. They are slow growing but if you are going to mix thing it might work. You could also mix in a Bracken Brown Beauty Southern magnolia if there is not to much wind. David

o

not a conifer but a broadleaf evergreen that would add some diversity to the conifers - Viburnum 'Pragense'.

Evergreen, but can defoliate from sever winter conditions (as can the holly), but re-spouts new foliage and stems the following spring. Can go about 10-12 feet tall and as wide. Google can provide you more info. This plant has proved to be reliably hardy here in the Dayton Ohio area.

o

Junipers won't grow in the shade they will eventually thin and look spindly.
You can use Cryptomeria japonica 'Yoshino' /Japanese Cedar (fast growing) but must have good drainage. add sand and/or gravel to soil when planting or Leyland cypress and trim them ( they get tall) I hand prune mine for a natural look. These are not heavy evergreens so they shouldn't interfere with wires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here