Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

A. magnifica 'Nana' VS. A. lasiocarpa 'Com knockdown

this was buried deep in another post .... i thought it needed its own post

-------------->>

i knew you were just pacing waiting for my comparison pix ... see below ...

personally ... i have to just rely on the tag on the plants when rec'd ...

i leave it to the conifer freaks to tell me my labels are wrong ...

go at it kids.. are they the same plant????

ken

Abies magnifica 'Nana' .. the fallen taxodium leaves are skewing the blueness in the pic ... obviously younger.. i seem to see less buds in a different configuration on this one ... the other has 5 buds at the end of each branch.. this one 'looks' like 2 or three ... and what seems to be a shorter annual growth rate.. but that might be due to younger age ... not fully established since transplant ...

{{gwi:862813}}

Abies lasiocarpa [var. arizonica] 'Compacta'

{{gwi:844282}}

Comments (9)

• clement_2006
    15 years ago

Sorry Ken, but it's not Abies magnifica "Nana"
    Probably Abies lasiocarpa "Compacta"
    It's a old selection and it's possible different clone are developed.
    Time to time, I read : Abies lasiocarpa "Compacta", "Argentea Compacta", var arizonica "Compacta" .....
    Clément

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Heya Ken,

I'll take some closeup photos tomorrow. The plant I believe is 'A.Lasiocarpa 'Compacta' is in my backyard and about the same size as the plant in the photo in question.

From previous memory of it, the 'Compacta' is tighter and with smaller needles then the 'Nana' plant. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

Also, can someone post a nice full scale image of a Abies Magnifica 'Nana' that they are sure of it's validity?

That might help with the debate.

In the end, I don't care too much, they are both beautiful dwarf conifers with great qualities, I'm not concerned if they are the same or if it is not 'Nana' but something else. I am just pretty sure they are different plants.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yep, both Abies lasiocarpa.

Resin

• coniferophytus
    15 years ago

Yep, Stanley & Co is selling A. lasiocarpa 'Compacta' labelled as "A. magnifica 'Nana'" and what appears to be A. numidica 'Pendula' as A. nordmanniana 'Prostrata'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok.. they mystery solves one problem ....

i dont have to move the one by the porch .. when it gets too big.. i will cut it down and use it for a xmas tree ... and the replacement is already to go .. planted out in the garden ...

when i first started collecting.. i wanted to put all my 'dwarf' prizes close to me... then i learned that dwarf does not mean mini .. the whole.. if momma is 386 feet tall.. her dwarf might only be 200 feet tall ... lol ...

so i have been moving my older treasures out to the pastures...

lasio grows slow enough.. that i will be able to enjoy it for 10 years.. before it starts to eat the porch .. and it brings me great joy right where it is...

when if finally irritates me.. it will be removed..

have a great day

ken

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

After a brief consultation with Clement, we agree this is the correct plant.

{{gwi:862815}}

Foliage detail
    {{gwi:862816}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well.. you just burst a blood vessel in my head.. lol ...

so an A. magnifica.. looks more like an A. concolor ... than a P. pungens... which the lasio more closely resembles ... but still a fir, not a spruce ... if that makes any sense

and i mean to the laymans eye .. vs the scientist ...

i am referring to the curving soft long needle .. versus the stiffer, shorter, sharp/hurtful needles ... wouldnt surprise me if the magnifica had the citrus aroma of concolor ...

ken

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

You're the experts. I agree with Ken, that certainly looks like Abies Concolor, the foliage reminds me of 'Archer's Dwarf'. A beautiful little tree no doubt. Sounds like I'd better move my 'Shasta Blue Fir' before it grows into a 15'x6' behemouth yes?

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yep, that looks like A. magnifica. Wrong colour shoot for A. concolor.

Resin

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor