Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan'

dcsteg
12 years ago

In spring this great chinese arborvitae has wonderful sprays of chartreuse new growth set atop the darker green older foliage. In winter it puts on a show that is even more dramatic when the entire outer edges of the plant turn a rusty bronze color.

Dave

{{gwi:863375}}

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i have it under Thuja orientalis 'Morgan'

when i started in 2000 ... we really didnt have the GW .. and all our friends here.. and googling was near useless ...

AND I THOUGHT FOR SURE.. THE FIRST 2 OR 3 YEARS.. THAT IS WAS DYING EVERY WINTER .. lol ...

ken

{{gwi:830322}}

i had a very cheap little camera .... i swear this looks color adjusted.. but to adjust red ... it would screw up the green of the grass behind.. so i dont know what this pic is all about ... probably the snow messin with the camera ...

{{gwi:830326}}

{{gwi:830330}}

i cant figure out where this is.. that is was on irrigation tape.. hmmmmm
    {{gwi:336731}}

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In the past this plant was listed as Thuja orientalis 'Morgan' but when a genus or species is reclassified, which it was several years ago, it takes all of its cultivars with it.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I got this coming in spring! Nice pics.

12 years ago

exactly dave ....

but that doesnt mean sellers necessarily change websites.. or catalog names..

so one should look under both names.. should they be looking for such ...

nomenclature-wise.. this is a problem when someone names divergent plants with the same name in 'quotes' .. and then some idiot.. namely me.. buys the same plant twice.. under each name ... this happened too often prior to the WWW

ken

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your right ken. Most sellers are to lazy to make the changes or for that matter just stupid and not informed. That being the case avoid these people. Instead buy from someone who is informed enough to by make name changes to their marketable merchandise when the need arises.

I can't control what growers/nurseries tag a plants name to be.

The one thing I have power to do is to identify this cultivar with the correct cultivar name when I am posting on the GW. This cultivars former name should be put to rest in the interest of eliminating confusion.

Dave

12 years ago

Most sellers are to lazy to make the changes or for that matter just stupid and not informed.

===>>> i disagree as to producers .. as compared to sellers ..... most sellers are on the verge of bankruptcy .. and would rather invest the time and resources on producing salable plants ...

sellers simply use the info provided by the producer/wholesaler ...

to them .. the WWW is just not the most important variable in survival ...

that and a lot of them are simply old school ... they are not website savvy ... IMHO ... and not willing to invest thousands of dollars on website production ... [joy and his ilk are the exception, of course ..] ....

just personal observation ...

ken

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Ken, perhaps I should cut the sellers a little slack. By the same token I contend you should know what you are selling At least know enough about your product to make sure it has he correct name. For instance a newbie comes to the seller and says he wants a Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan'. The seller is not familiar with this change in name even though he has a half dozen Thuja o. Morgans for sale. Sorry I don't have that one in my inventory. Who is the loser here...both are.

Producers...I can't cut them any slack. If you stay " old school" in this day and age you won't survive. Joy and his ink are good examples of success. His operation says it all. I can also think of a few more that are on top of their game that occasionally participate on this forum.

And as you say...just my personal observation and I don't expect everybody to agree with me.

Dave

12 years ago

By the same token I contend you should know what you are selling

===>> yeah.. but on the other hand.. I SHOULD KNOW WHAT I AM BUYING ... and that rarely happens.. rotflmbo ... ESPECIALLY pre WWW ....

i usually have a list ... and checked it twice.. online.. books.. catalogs .. the usual problem occurs when 'impulse' buying .... the cruising the bigboxstore ... etc ...

ken

ps: this was a BIG problem in my hosta buying days.. more than conifers ...

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

What gorgeous fall coloring. I like it. Does anyone have a photo of the spring chartreuse coloring?

• sluice
    12 years ago

I'm running out of space, but will have to find room for this one! Thanks for the pics.

• noki
    12 years ago

Here is one Greenish Morgan in Spring hiding behind a Fire Chief Rheingold style Arb.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lady,

I don't have a single specimen photo of this cultiar in spring foliage. In this island grouping you can pick it out right behind the Ginkgo b.'Witches Broom'.

Dave

{{gwi:737488}}

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Oh you guys, thank you so much for the photos. I do really like this one and will add it to my want list also. I like both the fall and spring colors of this plant. Very unique.

Dave your gardens are STUNNING. You have some very interesting looking conifers there and I like how you were able to add a few flowers without disrupting the scale of your gardens. Gorgeous!

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lady,

Adding perennials, grasses, ground covers, rocks and many other things nature brings to the table is all about a look you want to create. I use all to fill in voids, add color and balance. Perennials, grasses and ground covers are cheap. You can divide, cull, remove or relocate at will. I give a lot away to those who are in need.

Others prefer mulch beds displaying conifers only. If done right nothing wrong with that either. I have not seen anything I really didn't like on this forum. To each his own...as it should be.

Dave

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

My 'Morgan' specimens range from golden-green, frosted orange/red to almost dark orange. All seems to depend on the sun and cold temps. The colder, the more orange/red.