Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
commodoretwit

Living Christmas Tree project (R.YEW.Crazy?)

CommodoreTwit
11 years ago

Yew (taxus) at end of driveway is 5' tall, very healthy. Must be female because decorative red berries adorn it. Love it, but it must be moved as it is knocking over a stone wall.

So here is my grand experiment. Try it as a Christmas tree inside house for the 10-12 days of Christmas, then plunk it back in an already-dug-hole along back yard fence line.

Plan to get it into a nice big pot or bin, in potting soil/loose dirt. Keep it cool barn for 3-4 days. Then bring inside. Our home is kept pretty cool 66-68, but will be dry. I can water it all day if necessary. Will decorate with lights and ornaments. Then on Day 12 inside, out she goes into the new hole. I have dug the hole today (warm out!) about 3feet wide by 18" deep. Will line with leaf mulch to help prevent freezing. Will keep a wheelbarrow of dirt in barn under tarp, ready to repot tree when we move it out. Probably add some sort of plant food to mix at that time.

I have had success moving smaller yews around the yard, but generally in the spring or fall. I've read about "living Christmas trees" and always wanted to try it. I have to move this tree anyway, so this seems like it is worth a shot. I might save the $80 I'd pay for the usual cut tree. I figure even a dead tree may result in a good story down the road. What do you think? Do I have a chance? Any tips? Advice? Am I nuts?

Comments (30)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey twit.. welcome to GW ...

your plan was brilliant.. until you said you want to throw fertilizer in the hole.. IN WINTER ...

can i yell===>>> DONT DO THAT

i did this with ball and burlap plants.. long ago ... almost precisely as you suggest.. new hole dug .. i actually threw in plastic bags of leaves ... so it wouldnt freeze ... wheelbarrow of soil in heated garage ... ran the lights on the tree very little except for the big day ... house cold ... all vents to that room closed ...

and here is one you missed ... i misted them ... they didnt use much water at root level .. so watering it every day is not the issue.. its keeping the needles from drying too much ... and i did it.. get this.. when the lights werent on.. because they werent outdoor lights..

and i dont think i went 12 days ... why does it need to be that long????

anyway.. go for it ... as you said.. even failure would be a story for the ages ... and a new one.. will cost pennies.. compared to a cut tree ...

please post pix .. so we can be impressed ...

good luck

ken

BTW: where are you .... might change some facts ... zone and city ... will the soil be frozen at planting ...???

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ken! Great tips. Yes, CommodoreTwit must navigate between (1)daughter home from school who wants tree up yesterday and (2)wife who says trimmed trees don't come down until SuperBowl. Perilous waters wouldn't you agree? 12 days may be a stretch, eh? I suppose I want to avoid fertilizer for same reason as keeping the tree cool. Keep it dormant, correct? Don't want off-season growth. Thanks for educating me.

Weather continues to be warm in Boston area, so I am going to postpone popping the tree out of the ground until the weekend. It's been 40-60degrees everyday, and only on Wednesday night does it promise to pop below freezing, before warming again. I don't think I'm in danger of a ground freeze for a while.

So, anxious though I am to begin digging and binding roots up in burlap, I turned to taking shots of the project. Check link underneath this picture. I put some pix on the web.

Love the comments, keep 'em coming. Unafraid to fail, but want to learn something in process! Thank for your support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Christmas Tree project

11 years ago

my God.. how big is your living room.. lol ...

want to see decorated pix..

your link didnt work for me

ken

• Marie Tulin
    11 years ago

12 days from xmas is Epiphany, Kings Day as in the three kings who visited that baby in the manger. That's when my family said the tree should come down, but usually it was Valentine's Day. But commodores "12" has nothing to do with this so I thought I'd toss in a red herring. (not traditional kings food, btw)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

How is your back?

The rootball needed to transplant that (especially in winter when it needs all the roots it can get) is going to weigh more than I'd be willing to cart around.

tj

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry folks. I just now turned the link to Picasa from private to "share." A baker's dozen of photos. Hope you can see them now.

It is a 5' tree in front of the huge tree. I am certainly worried about how much root I will find once I start digging. Can roots be gently bent into the root ball? Clipping them seems harsh. Two strong teens can help lift the bucket that the tree sits in. I'm thinking about using one of those plastic recycling bins in which we collect our empty soda and beer bottles.

Thank YEW for all these concerns. Often I'm too eager to think through projects usually, and then I get myself in a bind. So all skepticism and advice is welcome. Feel free to laugh out loud. Entertaining my neighbors (and you) is just a side benefit of my nutty endeavor.

12 days. Arbitrary, but a goal. Yes, based on 12 days of Christmas ending at Epiphany. But, again, the operative word is arbitrary. If we make it past Christmas, and the tree starts wilting ... out she goes. ('Course that rule applies to in-laws, as well.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Christmas Tree project

11 years ago

Can roots be gently bent into the root ball? Clipping them seems harsh.

oh for Gawds sake.. i will yell ... YOU ARE DIGGING UP A TREE .. CUT THE FREAKIN ROOTS ...

no drainage .... in the recycle bin.. will be a challenge to keep the MEDIA moist.. but not sodden ...

BTW.. are you buying some potting MEDIA ... or are you thinking that mother earth in the house will be OK???

i am kinda torn.. but its only 12 days ... so i guess i would not pay extra for MEDIA ... and earth will hold it more secure .. cant really drive a stake thru the living room floor.. lol ...

but watering is going to be real tricky.. it might APPEAR dry on top.. and be a boggy swap at the bottom ..

i would probably leave it outdoors to settle in.. for as long as possible..

your link still says: Sorry, that page was not found.

its not about sharing.. it cant find it?????

and dont forget to 'harden it off' .. when you take it outdoors ... if temps between house and yard are wildly divergent.. it might need a few days in the garage before being thrown free range ..

ken

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If link below doesn't work, try this. Copy/Paste this address into your browser?

http://picasaweb.google.com/107512937547438602447/LivingChristmasTreeProject#

or

http://plus.google.com/photos/107512937547438602447/albums/5818141294475009601?banner=pwa

Did some more prep work today as it was 60d at lunchtime. Tidied up sides of the receiving hole, then filled it with leaf mulch. Stored a wheelbarrow and bucket of loam from the hole. And yes, I have a bag of potting soil mix ready to go. Think I am just about ready. Now need to wait for right day, right weather to pop out the tree.

Found a good article on this subject in the This Old House website. Gardener Roger Cook did about the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Project Pictures...hope this one works.

11 years ago

yeah the link worked ...

can you give a link to the TOH article ..

good luck

you have nothing to fear.. but fear itself..

ken

ps: and a herniated disc.. lol ...

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Loving this project! Even if the tree dies you will have had a really unique Christmas tree, and a good story. Potted trees for Xmas are certainly readily available here; I don't know how much information comes along with them, but people must have some success in keeping them happy.
    (we had a cut false weeping cyprus last year - best tree ever - now all Christmas trees are just trees for us. Sigh.)
    Good luck with this!
    Jan

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Warm 45deg day, so got a lot done. Popped the tree out of the ground, and potted it in a container. Now in the backyard, probably will bring it inside next weekend. Or maybe put in the unheated barn. Does it matter?

I put up more photos, so please take a look at the closeups of the roots. Ken was right. I did have to cut away about five of the fattest roots during excavation, then had to trim back a bit more to fit tree into container. The main root ball is full of fibrous root material and soil, and very intact, so I am optimistic. Did not leave the root ball uncovered for more than 12-20 mins. Filled container with 70%garden soil and 30% potting mix. Stood it up, and misted with water, till container was well soaked. It stands in the backyard now. Yes, it is very, very heavy, but I was able to drag it 20' across the yard. Where there is a will..there will be a way ... to get her inside next week. I'd welcome opinions on the root situation and what I should do over the next week before bringing into a 68deg home on 12/16.

Here is a link that might be useful: New pictures added of tree extraction and potting.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I wouldn't keep a living tree in the house for more than a week, personally.

Josh

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Josh. I'm watching calendar, weather, Santa's sleigh, and most importantly...wife's eyebrows. All reliable indicators, some carry more weight than others.

As I understand it, the main threat is that the yew would begin to grow, out-of-season, awakening from its dormant phase? Any new growth at the end of branches would be susceptible when reintroduced to the cold out-of-doors? Leading to a bad, bad year for the yew, and possible death? (Which is kinda what the Mayans predict for all of us.)

I'm very happy the tree has withstood a rainy warm Boston day today, not toppling out of container, though it is settling and tilted a wee bit. I'll address that tomorrow. An amazing 63degrees in Boston at 7pm tonight. Very unseasonably warm for this area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Christmas Tree project thru 12/10

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was wrong. Tree a little taller than I first thought. Here it is in bucket, alongside regulation 10' basketball hoop. Hmmm. Too ambitious? Been spraying the branches all week, while it endured a warmish 28deg-55deg week. Anybody got any thoughts on trimming branches before I bring inside? Harmful? Proper way to do it?

I could not resist bejeweling it a little bit early with a single strand of lights. Getting pysched!

11 years ago

i would go at it ...

open your hand in front of you . ...

if you wanted to shorten that hand branch.. you would remove the middle finger.. at the palm knuckle.. and next year.. you would get two leaders from the next 2 fingers ..

to shorten it further ..take off more ...

in doing this.. you can shape it any way you want.. even in truer xmas tree shape ...

you cut off 80% of its roots.. a LITTLE canopy reduction might actually be beneficial .. i mean really in this case.. could you torture it more.. lol ...

same goes with the leader.. just focus on the height you want.. and work down the trunk ... unless you happen to have a 10 foot ceiling ...

i have no clue why you are spraying it outdoors.. ambient humidity should be perfect.. as compared to a house with a furnace ... though i doubt it is hurting it ...

in a year or two.. should it survive ... we can 'fix' any pruning problems ....

ken

ps: make a line across the bottom of you pic ... horizontal to the BACK of the tote ... lop of the top to your height.. then make a triangle in the shape of a .. wait for it.. xmas tree ... and go at it ... shape it up man.. xmas trees do not grow naturally in that shape.. they are pruned/trimmed every year until harvest ... you just never noticed ... [of course this should have been done last winter.. so this years growth hid it all.. but you didnt have this dream then ...

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, you make me laugh. Yes, I am indeed livin' the Dream. Good tips. Still, hard to prune it, I love it so.

Yesterday over on Internet 2 (faster, content not as thoroughly fact-checked) I read that home-made dessicant could be fashioned out of a drop of pine oil and quart of water. No pine oil at the ready, so Mrs. CommodoreTwit suggested drop of Canola oil. Today, tree leaves sparkle in sun with a most healthy shine. OK, insert jokes here:____________

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

CommodoreTwit, I'm loving your Christmas tree project idea. I cannot wait to see it in your house and decorated. Ken has given you some great advice. I hope you are able to save the tree too...what a wonderful memory you will create and can talk about for years when you walk by that tree in its new location.

Good luck.

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brought tree in. 12/22 10am. Start the clocks.

Umm. Maybe I forgot to get a bigger house. Ooops.
    Lopped about 22" off top. Pruned around per Ken's
    advice. Still, it looks like a big fat green bush
    in our little room. And it is magnificent.

Gave root ball about a gallon of water, then misted
    the branches. I'll get pictures posted soon. Daughter
    ready to go nuts trimming it. I mean *decorating* it.

The fellas at the town dump loaned me a hand-truck, so
    my son and I wheeled it up 5 steps. Mrs. CommodoreTwit
    even helped push and pull. Lesson #1: Smaller tree = smart.

11 years ago

i love the tongue in cheek ..

a Christmas to remember.. for sure ...

WE WANT PIX!!!!

I HOPE YOU GOT SOME OF THE PROCESS .. oops... of bringing it in ...

i wish you would have skipped the oil .. ya know ... just because you read it on the web.. doesnt mean ANYTHING!!!! ... if i had a blog.. i would have posted that your chances of success .. would have increased 10 fold.. had you dont this all naked.. and the next thing you know.. there would be some viral youtube about the idiot digging and dragging a tree into his house naked ... i am gonna bet.. that would not have been pretty.. god knows where needles might end up .. lol... see above about believing everything your read ...

Merry Christmas.. sure seems like you peeps are having a ball .. and that is all that really matters ...

ken

• botann
    11 years ago

I think it would have been easier to redo the wall.
    Not near as much fun though.
    I have enjoyed following this thread.
    Merry Christmas CommodoreTwit
    Mike

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, I just mis-read your note as "redo the will."
    That probably should have been a good step one.

More pictures up from yesterday. Lights on the tree, Mrs. C and kids still adorning her. They are all remarking about how soft and lush the branches are. Even if its shape is not so traditional. The yew isn't aromatic in the least, so not like a nice cut balsam in that sense.

I will unveil the grande dame in her finery on
    Christmas Eve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Half a dozen new pics but money shot tomorrow.

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas Everyone!
    Thank you for your support, moral, technical and mental.

CommodoreTwit is retiring for a glass of eggnog. He'll be back again after Christmas. Wishing you the Merriest of Holidays.

If you have a chance, grab a brandy and listen to Robert Frost's Christmas card... www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uuv9v-Wbxo

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Christmas Gift

11 years ago

well congrats on the project ...

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and the twits ...

do keep us posted on its future ..

ken

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy New Year! Undressed the tree this a.m., bound up her branches, and removed her to the shelter of the garage. Total time inside = 10 days. No signs of growth or buds, so hopefully that is a good sign. The needles are green and lush, and we cannot believe how unmessy the tree is. Just a few needles on the ground that I had to work hard at knocking off the tree as I stripped off lights & ornaments. 30-40 degrees today and sunny, so good day for a move. It will be getting down to the teens (maybe single digits) over the next few nights so shelter seems smart. We'll move her into the final hole next weekend with luck. And yes it was heavy, but moved fast down some icy steps! 16 year old sons are handy sometimes! Once in the garage, I gave the rootball a thorough soaking until there was an inch of water drained into the lower pan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Christmas Tree project thru 1/1/2013

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Et Voila! Our lady is in her new home! Moved & planted her yesterday! 1/5/13

1. Dug out 4" of snow to uncover hole and work area.
    2. Moved tree & the saved soil & tools to work area.
    3. Popped out mulch from pre-dug target hole.
    4. Fought to free tree from container (frozen 1" of soil).
    5. Cut away burlap, plunked her in, covered with soil, potting mix, a little mulch.
    6. Watered thoroughly.

I had "hardened" or acclimatized the tree to cold temps with 4 nights in the barn. It had been below freezing, but at least not windy in the barn. Top inch of soil in the container had frozen, so difficult to free tree from container, but elbow grease and patience won in end. I probably second-guessed the location of the hole a few times, but too late. She looks great where she is. Needles still green, moist. This tree looks like it never moved anywhere. She has a stockade fence on her windy side, so that'll help protect her. I have her lashed to the fence for a little first season support, too. Looks much smaller in the yard than in the house! But would be an expensive purchase at the nursery if I bought a new one this size. [Hit the project link below to see all the pictures.]

Payoff: Feels fantastic not to be throwing out a dried out old pine on top of the pine & tinsel remains at the Town Dump. We can look at that tree next summer and know it had a star atop it on Dec 25. I very much appreciate your excellent tips that gave me confidence to proceed on this adventure. I'll update when I see new growth in the spring. Meanwhile feel free to add in any more tips as to care, feeding, nurturing of a conifer such as this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Christmas Tree project thru 1/5/2013

11 years ago

no needles??? .. i recall.. vaguely.. that xmas trees are cut 6 to 8 weeks prior to sale ... hence losing LOTS of needles ...

i would have left it tied up after planting .. hindsight is 20 20 ... all you need now is an ice storm ...

quit moaning about cold temps.. great on the hardening off ... but that thing has been growing in your yard for a decade or two.. it should be able to take whatever ma nature throws at it.. but for the digging up. of course...

thx for keeping us posted ....

ken

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Man ...I am ready for a nap after sorting all this out.

Throw the eggnog out and have a sip of Jack.

You will feel much better. LOL

Good luck with your adventure.

Going for it again next Christmas?

Dave

• CommodoreTwit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, okay. I've been dreading the day when I had to show this. But here goes. 4 months later. All is green. Except my Living Christmas Tree. Sigh.

BUT, I will take your opinions and any advice. Once old man winter left town, the snow melted off and the ground loosened up, I gave it plennnnnty of water. Big deep drenchings. The needles are not dry at all. Nor have any dropped. There are still many deep green leaves, but many branches are yellowed & browned out. Is this primarily from stress? And if so, will time heal wounds once the roots reestablish? What would you do now? Cut back branches? Fertilize with high nitrogen? Leave it alone to Ma Nature? Give up?

The Bruins came back. Can this tree?

10 years ago

keep it properly watered...

do NOTHING ELSE

EDIT: for another month or two .. or until it drives you crazy.. and you get rid of it.. should NOT be hard to pull out... lol ...

it was a fine dream.. and i know you had fun ....

go red wings...

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, May 16, 13 at 7:38