Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metasequoia in the winter

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 16:00

Took my first trip to MOBOT in the winter today.

Besides the mini-train show the Dawn Redwoods were still pretty impressive and probably second Acer griseum

Got Trunk:

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metasequoia in the winter

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 16:55

Armpit trees. They shouldn't cut any branches off they don't absolutely have to.

o

I saw those trees maybe 15 years ago in August. I think they are the second oldest after the ones at The Arnold. Very impressive, they make my 25 year olds look puny. I wish they had planted them more informally rather than in two rows. I almost think metasequoia's look their best in winter...

o

i see they are infested with those pesky dwarves also.. i snapped a pic of mine .. in my garden ...

the observation i have on such.. is how thick the trunk is near the bottom.. and then quickly thinning out ... very unique to this tree ... unlike the telephone poles of the pine world ...

thx for the pix

ken

Photobucket

o

More than one person I know has had young trees removed by gardeners or other third parties (a housesitter who thought they had a green thumb actually replaced my friend's tree with a young coastal redwood while she was away as a big welcome back surprise, boy was it!) because they mistook them for dead sequoias in winter (perhaps this is just a local Northern Californian problem), make sure everyone is aware it's supposed to lose its foliage!

o

Did you get a dbh or circumference and height?

Dax

o

Did I measure? No. I was too busy chasing junior and I HOPE MOBOT does that type of thing.

Previously I used a list on skidmore.edu or something similar to find some large metasequoias. I can't find it now! Just cell phone google not working I hooe.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 11:45

Several have double tops. That could be a problem in the future with some ice or wet snow.
Mike

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 12:19

One at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg was determined to be 121' tall in 1998. See the online Gymnosperm Database. The print reference Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (A.L. Jacobson, 2006) says there were heights of 125' and trunk circumferences of 19' present by that time (but does not give locations outside of Seattle).

o

Thanks Ron.

Johnny on here planted Metasequoia's that are now 100' tall amongst timber at a location I won't disclose. I'll see if I can get him to comment on those.

Dax

o

bboy, I'm not trying to be difficult, but can you explain what you meant by armpit trees?
Hopefully W&M will protect that one with a lightning rod, it's getting to be that time. It's near the 2 coast redwoods, one of which had its top taken out by Hurricane Isabel in the early 2000s. They could use them too. Soil in that area is a perfect somewhat calcareous but still slightly acid sandy loam that is deep and has a steady water table due to a nearby pond. That probably helps account for its fast growth besides the fact it was one of the earliest planted and the general suitability of the climate.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 15:12

o

"I'm not trying to be difficult, but can you explain what you meant by armpit trees? "

The tendency that some (but not all) Metasequoia show to have a recessed area in the trunk just below each large branch, looking like an armpit.

Not very obvious in these specimens, though.

Resin

o

Here's pic of the largest diameter Meta... that I have. I think this one is slightly over 4' dbh and 85' plus in height. When I get a chance I'll make photos of the 'tall ones'

Johnny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here