Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Metasequoia in the winter

Took my first trip to MOBOT in the winter today.

Besides the mini-train show the Dawn Redwoods were still pretty impressive and probably second Acer griseum

Got Trunk:

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Armpit trees. They shouldn't cut any branches off they don't absolutely have to.

• kenptn
    11 years ago

I saw those trees maybe 15 years ago in August. I think they are the second oldest after the ones at The Arnold. Very impressive, they make my 25 year olds look puny. I wish they had planted them more informally rather than in two rows. I almost think metasequoia's look their best in winter...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i see they are infested with those pesky dwarves also.. i snapped a pic of mine .. in my garden ...

the observation i have on such.. is how thick the trunk is near the bottom.. and then quickly thinning out ... very unique to this tree ... unlike the telephone poles of the pine world ...

thx for the pix

ken

{{gwi:242702}}

• floramakros
    11 years ago

More than one person I know has had young trees removed by gardeners or other third parties (a housesitter who thought they had a green thumb actually replaced my friend's tree with a young coastal redwood while she was away as a big welcome back surprise, boy was it!) because they mistook them for dead sequoias in winter (perhaps this is just a local Northern Californian problem), make sure everyone is aware it's supposed to lose its foliage!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Did you get a dbh or circumference and height?

Dax

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did I measure? No. I was too busy chasing junior and I HOPE MOBOT does that type of thing.

Previously I used a list on skidmore.edu or something similar to find some large metasequoias. I can't find it now! Just cell phone google not working I hooe.

• botann
    11 years ago

Several have double tops. That could be a problem in the future with some ice or wet snow.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

One at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg was determined to be 121' tall in 1998. See the online Gymnosperm Database. The print reference Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (A.L. Jacobson, 2006) says there were heights of 125' and trunk circumferences of 19' present by that time (but does not give locations outside of Seattle).

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Thanks Ron.

Johnny on here planted Metasequoia's that are now 100' tall amongst timber at a location I won't disclose. I'll see if I can get him to comment on those.

Dax

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

bboy, I'm not trying to be difficult, but can you explain what you meant by armpit trees?
    Hopefully W&M will protect that one with a lightning rod, it's getting to be that time. It's near the 2 coast redwoods, one of which had its top taken out by Hurricane Isabel in the early 2000s. They could use them too. Soil in that area is a perfect somewhat calcareous but still slightly acid sandy loam that is deep and has a steady water table due to a nearby pond. That probably helps account for its fast growth besides the fact it was one of the earliest planted and the general suitability of the climate.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 15:12

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"I'm not trying to be difficult, but can you explain what you meant by armpit trees? "

The tendency that some (but not all) Metasequoia show to have a recessed area in the trunk just below each large branch, looking like an armpit.

Not very obvious in these specimens, though.

Resin

• conifer50
    11 years ago

Here's pic of the largest diameter Meta... that I have. I think this one is slightly over 4' dbh and 85' plus in height. When I get a chance I'll make photos of the 'tall ones'

Johnny