Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

two mutations within 50 feet

years back.. i found a branch sport on a strobus.. and grafted and named it Ridgemont Rosie .... formerly called it rosie sparkle ... variegated pine with yellow and green needles ...

now.. within 50 feet of it .. i found a yellow pungens ... [more on that later] ...

both trees are at least 30 years old ... and counting whorls ... something happened about 20 years back ..

anyone care to speculate.. why there would be two such things.. so close together??? ..perhaps with some unknown event way back when???

ken

Comments (10)

• bobfincham
    11 years ago

Possibly Casoron. That apparently caused a number of gold mutations at a wholesale nursery in the northwest a number of years ago.

Bob

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I guess it's just luck, Ken.
    Last winter I've seen that variegated Pinus strobus mutation with my own eyes, the tree wasn't far from your house.

I'm very curious to see that Picea pungens mutation as well...
    So I'll yell: SHOW US SOME PICS OF IT! ;0)
    Thanks in advance.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well this leads me to a fact i left out ...

the pungens is on the property line.. under electric lines.. hence its reason to die ... directly next to heritage farm land .. and the pine is about 30 feet from the farm land ... the usual crops around here are soybean and corn ... i do believe the beans are gassed annually .. what is that.. ammonia something or another????

neither owner original to the plantings is available ..

but i wonder what they could have used on the farm for weed suppression .. etc ...

thx bob.. frankly.. i expected a bunch of answers along the lines of aliens .. lol.. rather than an actual answer .. i guess thats what we get for having a science teacher among ...

ken

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Ken, I think they spray beans with paraquat or diquat or some such "burn down" herbicide. This has the effect of killing all the above-ground green plant parts so the beans can dry and be harvested. Pretty creepy if you ask me, but there's your big ag-biz at its finest.

+oM

Original Author
    11 years ago

i see the farmers.. hauling these bomb tanks around in late spring ... i am pretty sure .. it is Anhydrous Ammonia

see link ... its a nitro fert ... probably for our wondrous sand.. lol ..

i dont know what this has to do with the post ... but facts.. are facts ... whatever is left out of the facts.. renders an answer speculative at best.. or so they taught us at law school ...

the only thing i know about paraquat.. was back in highschool.. as a lawncutter.. some 'dude' claimed he couldnt come to work.. because his feet were swollen.. from smoking pot sprayed with such.. lol .. if he isnt dead.. 35 years later.. he probably still cuts lawns .. or lives under an overpass .. lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ken, how about a pic of that yellow Picea pungens...?

• floramakros
    11 years ago

Has the site been tested for radiation? If the tests were positive there can be only 3 options...1. secret government tests on the evil "clinton bomb" circa 1993. 2. "E.T.'s return trip", a still unreleased Spielberg film was shot there, all the dead mutilated cows caused a local furor so production was shut down in '94. 3. Godzilla is back! Run for your lives!!! Is this the kind of stuff you were hoping for Ken? Happy early Christmas! ;-)

• henksgarden
    11 years ago

This is a photo of the variegated Pinus strobus by Ken
    take this last year when I and Edwin visit Ken.

Henk.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

The fact that anhydrous ammonia is used on these crops by no means, logical or otherwise, precludes their being sprayed with the type of substances I mentioned. Right, Mr. Solicitor?

+oM

Original Author
    11 years ago

i acknowledged your comment by claiming no knowledge of such [simply wondering why they would chemically burn down an annual crop with such, instead of plowing in the green manure .. but that part was left unspoken] ...

and offered further facts upon which to continue the conversation .. if any

in that regard .. do you have any opinion on hyper- nitrogen applications to conifers causing said mutations???

see me can do the language too ..

ken

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area