Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tunilla

Some more summer pics

tunilla
11 years ago

Whilst last week's snow was being washed away by copious rainfall accompanied by milder weather,I dug out some more pictures taken towards the end of june and the beginning of july...

Q: How many stones can you get out of 1 planting hole???
A: About 3 barrowloads ;please note how the soil level has
only gone down by about 6" (20 cm). Gives you some idea of the degree of compaction !!!

Thunderstorm brewing...

The following morning everything is dripping wet...

...and everything is still pretty green and colourful...

...but the sun is never absent for very long !

So long ! T.

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I really like these shots.

Dax

• Cher
    11 years ago

Lovely shots but I can't even imagine trying to dig in those rocks. I mean that is a rock hill, not a dirt hill. :)
    Cher

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, those are some really nice photos. Your garden is lovely, and you have such a nice setting for it. Love the view of the hills in the distance.

I like how you held off posting these photos until the off-season. Getting to see your photos now, it's the opposite of Christmas in July, but just as nice.

While I sympathize with you for having to dig such rocky soil, I'm also envious that you have access to such nice rocks on site, they look great edging your beds and throughout your garden. When I want rocks, I have to buy them at the garden center. 15 cents a pound doesn't sound like much, but it adds up quickly when you're buying a box of rocks.

Thanks for sharing, your grounds look really fantastic.

Alex

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

I love these pictures and I like the cumulonimbus! What blue spruce cultivar is it?
    Richard

• tunilla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all !

Cher & Alex; The traditional way of doing things around here was for people to clear the "cultivatable" land of rocks and to use these for housebuilding ;the steeper slopes were usually left undisturbed (see pic 1 & 2).Our garden is fairly flat but only because I made it that way, by adding hundreds of tons of screened soil on top of the existing slope in front of the house

Just to name the conifers seen in this image;
    To the left : Cupressus macrocarpa 'Wilma Goldcrest' and
    below it Thuja occidentalis 'Danica'
    To the right against the bird-house grows Picea abies 'Inversa', and further to the right is Thuja occidentalis 'Brobeck's Tower' ( a Clement plant)
    Looking at these pictures in winter is like putting a log on the fire...
    Richard,I'm not sure about the pungens. The guy I got it from said it was either 'Hoopsi' or 'Koster'. I think it is the former but it could also be something else,I suppose.
    An expert's opinion would be welcome! T.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Lovely pictures, your place is paradise, the rocks would just be good exercise and useful to me. I've carried rocks up a long steep slope to my garden as well as dug big ones out. I like the Cinnabar Moth, I saw one last year and they are beautiful.