Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pineresin

Bulletin of the Cupressus Conservation Project #2

pineresin
11 years ago

Issue #2 of the Bulletin of the Cupressus Conservation Project is available now, click here to get a copy

Contents
Cupressus pygmaea is a valid species (27-33)
Photo gallery : Cupressus pygmaea and Cupressus goveniana (34-37)
Etat des lieux de lâÂÂintroduction en France de Taiwania cryptomerioides Hayata (38-41)
Taiwania cones - new observations in Europe (42-45)
Addendum : Cupressus revealiana (Silba) Bisbee, validation as a new species (46-47)
Addendum : new measurements on Cupressus sempervirens L. cones (47)
Photo gallery : Cupressus stephensonii, revealiana and montana (48-54)
Cupressus butanoensis (Silba) Malone & Bisbee, a new cypress species (55-59)
Photo gallery : Cupressus butanoensis and Cupressus abramsiana (60-63)
Taxonomy of the Genus Cupressus (64)

Resin

Comments (18)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thanks, Resin, I enjoyed that.

And a cultivar guy like Edwin even made a contribution. ;-)

tj

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The species could be interesting as well, however it's not my kind of field.
    Imo it's very important to know something about these because the cultivars arose from them...

Resin, thanks for showing us this documentation, I enjoyed it as well.
    It was a pleasure for me to made that contribution.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

just to throw resin's boomerang back at him.. they are all green trees..

where are the variegated/dwarf/mini plants?? .. BORING!!!

lol

michael .. Merry Christmas to you and yours ...

ken

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've printed it out and will read later.
    More pics than I had expected.

• ian_wa
    11 years ago

This is really cool, thanks! Now we just need something like this for Podocarpaceae. 8^)

• pasadena
    11 years ago

Thanks! Reminds me I need to knock the snow off the stephensonii

• nothotsuga
    10 years ago

Thanks! Reminds me I need to knock the snow off the stephensonii

How old are they? Are you sure of the id? It would be interesting to see some photos and to learn to which coldest temperatures they survived in your zone and how long they were submitted to those temperatures.

• pinetree30
    10 years ago

Lots of great pics, but the text comes up illegible. Text within lines varies in size, spacing is v e r y w i d e, and lines of text are printed upon each other. Bizarre!

• pineresin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"but the text comes up illegible"

That's a display fault with inline browser viewing (quite common, though worse here than in most cases I've seen). If you download the pdf and open it with a pdf reader like Adobe or Foxit, it is OK.

Resin

• pineresin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vol. 2 #1 of the Bulletin of the Cupressus Conservation Project is available now, click here to get a copy

Contents:
    Rediscovery of the holotype of Cupressus nootkatensis D.Don (3-7)
    Photo gallery : Cupressus nootkatensis (8-9 & 36)
    The Status of Wild and Cultivated Populations of Cupressus tonkinensis Silba in Vietnam (10-16)
    Nomenclature and Taxonomy of Cupressus gigantea Cheng & Fu (17-22)
    Photo gallery : Male Cone phenology of Wollemia nobilis (23-25)
    Authentic Documentation on the Seedling Embryology of Cupressus torulosa D.Don from Natural Populations in India (26-31)
    Notes on a possible new southern locality of Cupressus bakeri Jepson (32-33)
    Photo gallery : Cupressus bakeri (34-35)

Resin

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

I just checked it out myself. The tonkinensis situation is interesting and it does appear to be distinct and likely a good, valid species. Neat to see those HUGE C. torulosa. I took photos of those same C. gigantea in Tibet.

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Resin,

I really appreciate that you make this publication available to us. It gives me a slice of the world-wide view of conifer species that I would otherwise not be aware of.

My word for the day is holotype: The single physical example (or illustration) of an organism, known to be used when the taxon was formally described.

Thank you!

Barbara

• pineresin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vol. 2 #2 of the Bulletin of the Cupressus Conservation Project is available now, click here to get a copy

Contents:
    Which Latin name for the Tsenden? (39-71)

BOOK REVIEW: 'The genus Araucaria - An illustrated overview of its species' (72)

Resin

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Ok, I may be dense but I get "not found" is the server down?

• pineresin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Works for me! Try again?

Resin

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Nope, but I googled it and got it.

• pinetree30
    10 years ago

The Bulletin could be a real boon for cypress devotees, but I think it needs to observe a higher editorial standard. Specifically, I found it quite offensive for Maerki to carry on what has the flavor of a vendetta aimed at Aljos Farjon with regard to the "Tsenden", even in one case accusing him of covering up a mistake. Reputable journals exclude such content through editing. Without editing you end up with a billboard on which anything can be posted, and you lose the respect of your readers.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

As we see on this site all the time.