Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenptn

Christmas Thievery

kenptn
10 years ago

I lost a nice 10-12 foot Norway spruce this weekend. I know who took it but can't prove it. And I thought this was a time for giving, not taking. Silly me.

Comments (16)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

In the past they've had a problem with people cutting holiday greenery from planted specimens in the Seattle arboretum. Here on GardenWeb there have been threads about plant and garden thievery in general.

When the alpine garden at UBC, Vancouver BC was first opened people came and helped themselves also. If those so inclined think something is worth having, they will think it is worth stealing - whatever it is and whoever has it.

You should call your local police as there actually is some potential for a degree of satisfaction via this route - at least that was the recent experience of a nearby friend who had tools taken from his shed, suspected somebody living on his street. Although it did not look promising at first the detectives actually did get some of his stuff back to him over time.

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that. I had some rare conifers stolen when I lived in Minnesota and I searched the neighborhood for days looking for them. Very frustrating!

I remember I gave my now deceased great uncle a Canaan fir (Abies balsamea var. phanerolepis) as a gift. It grew into a spectacular specimen about 12' tall. He heard a noise in the middle of the night and opened the door to see the thieves driving away with it in their truck! I think that was the only time I've heard him cuss was when he told me that story. I'm glad we have "stand your ground" law in this state - I will gladly use deadly force to protect my conifers :)

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

Wow that's ridiculous. I never would have considered that someone would do something like that.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

My condolences.

There's something antithetical about this, almost laughably so. The theives are certainly lacking in "Christmas Spirit".

I wonder if it's for their own use or if they're selling the tree to someone else. Could be going around town chopping down trees and selling them at a discount. Reminds of theives during the housing boom who would steal copper pipe.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Yeah, that's not unplausible.^ In either case, very despicable. Sorry to hear this.

+oM

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Don't forget the Keteleeria evelyniana stolen from the Washington Park Arboretum for someone's Christmas tree.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear this. So sorry to hear that you have been the victim of the follies of some gene pool rejects. Just terrible. There is a special place for these kind of A$$holes and I'll only say that it is extremely unpleasant.

Did they cut it down? Dig it up? Just curious. I have photos of all my plants so I could ID it if needed.

I hope you get the police involved. You know I have often thought about setting up cameras on my plants (and vehicles and front door / back door) just for this purpose. Camera set ups are very inexpensive these days. God/Goddess forbid I ever catch someone doing anything like this on my property. If I see it, they'll be looking at the barrel of my gun faster than they can turn and run away. Man, I'm even a bit angry for you!

Well just know that Karma will get them and what you have lost will be returned to you in some way.

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

Thats horrible.So sorry.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

There are regularly thefts around here from nursery display gardens at Easter time. The thieves break in (usually not difficult at most nurseries) and cut all of the flowers off the hydrangeas, etc.

The thought it that they are probably selling them at Farmer's Markets.

It all sucks and I agree that these people have terrible Karma.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

But good clippers.

• kenptn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A little more info. The person(s) that stole my tree lives across the road from me. It is a family of at least 6 and possibly 8 plus at least 7 dogs. They are renters who live in a single wide owned by an absentee landlord. They moved in about 2 months ago from Tampa.

I have a friend who is an investigator with the county sheriffs dept. I told him what happened with the tree and also about the dogs, which run loose everywhere. He said he would see them and make them aware of the leash law, and if he could, get a look at their Christmas tree. He's a plant buddy and knows what a Norway spruce is. I talked to him yesterday and he told me my problems will probably be over shortly. It seems that someone from that trailer called the dept. complaining that their power had been cut off and that their landlord had given them an eviction notice. The power was in the landlords name and they as tenants were supposed to pay the bills but didn't. I guess they haven't paid the rent either.

I should be glad to be rid of them but I can't say that I am. They have been without power for 3 days now. It hasn't been cold, it reached 72 today, but major cold is on the way. I think one of the kids has a toddler, and one of the kids is in the third grade. It isn't the kind of Christmas these kids should be having. The children are suffering due to decisions made by their parents. And who knows, if the situation continues those kids may get sucked into and perpetuate that way of life.

If they had asked me for a tree I probably would have given them one. I have lots of redcedars, the traditional Tennessee Christmas tree. Or maybe I would have given them a Norway spruce. My last name isn't Scrooge.

Ken

• severnside
    10 years ago

"I know we're cold and hungry but kids I'll make sure you still have a Christmas tree even if I have to steal one..."

That character can be played by Jimmy Stewart in the film ;)

Sorry for your loss but the fact that we all thought it was mercenary blaggards and you would have given the tree if asked is a wonderful Christmas tale.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

About 10 years ago tree thieves hit our church. On all four corners of the building they cut down four 8 ft. junipers.

I am sure some happy kids had a tree for Christmas.

People are most giving at Christmas time Someone poor enough not to be able to afford a tree just needs to ask. A very affordable expenditure for those who are asked to make that happen.

Dave

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    10 years ago

I feel for their kids for sure, and it is a good likely hood they may fall into the same sad state of affairs as the parents. You said the "kids" had "kids" How old are these kids that have kids? Just curious.

That being said, holidays or not, stealing is stealing and should be treated as such. If it were me, and they asked and I had a tree to give or buy for them, I may have done it. Steal from me once, and that is the last time you will see any "good will" from me. I have not, do not, and will not steal, and expect the same respect from everyone else.

That they have no power, are seemingly terrible tenants (and neighbors with letting dogs run wild) is likely their own fault. If someone needs assistance they can ask for it, especially those with children. That they let the situation get to the point of the power being cut off speaks to a lack of any kind of responsibility on the part of the adults in the home, especially given they have children.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you find out what happened.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    10 years ago

Truly a sad situation. Something's got me wondering though - not sure I know what a single-wide is, but would a 10-12 foot tree fit inside it??

• kenptn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jerseygirl, if you're from the city, a single wide is a 10 or 12 foot wide mobile home. If you're from the country it's a trailer. A 10 foot tree would fit if the mobile home had a cathedral ceiling, otherwise no. The one in question, no. They left about 3 feet on the stump, and probably cut 2-3 feet off the leader.