Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Spring time photo...

dcsteg
11 years ago

I wish.

Taken today 12-3-2012.

Temperature 74 F.

Not a good sign. We usually have snow by now with temps in the 20-30 F. range. The bugs are still out and I see some Iris new growth poking out of the ground. Many plants are having trouble deciding what time of the year it is.

I can't even remember when it rained last. About 20 inches under normal for this year. Nothing in the foreseeable future.

Much work and 40 pounds of grass seed brought this yard back not to mention many gals. of water through the season to keep this garden, at least the plants, looking somewhat presentable. Still I took a hit. Pinus strobus being the most sensitive to heat and drought. I have two of that species left now.

The front yard has 168 rolls of new sod in place after I removed the dead Zoysia with a sod remover then leveled with top soil. That Zoysia is nasty stuff. My aching back. Never again.

The need for moisture is critical this Winter. Only 3 inches of snow last Winter.

We in the Midwest are praying for deep snow.

Dave

{{gwi:868440}}

Comments (7)

• miamijoe13
    11 years ago

Wow nice!

• kenptn
    11 years ago

By the first week of July I was 11" below normal, then a complete reversal and by the end of Sept. 3" above. Oct. and Nov. were only half of normal though. The ground is thoroughly wet, and the springs and creeks are running well. I don't know what winter will bring, I have a gut feeling we will go back to below normal.

It got to 70F at my place and 74F in Nashville today. These kinds of temps are not at all unusual for here. Most years Nov.-March is a roller coaster. Most stuff copes, I HATE it lol.

• miamijoe13
    11 years ago

I hear ya..I live in S jersey and last winter was warm and dry and the summer was dry I have 40 white pines that I planted for privacy around my house.....they are about 30 foot tall and I lost 2 in the summer....I am hoping for a nice cold wet winter...

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Same thing here. Its warm, then its cold, then warm again.

Neighbor was CUTTING their grass yesterday! I was debating if I was going to do the same.

In the same boat from a moisture perspective as well. Down 50% for the year but look at the summers months, that is the time you need it most. The UK definitely robbed us.

Sometimes its hard to envision how much an area is down in inches so I found it interesting to see what % an area is down or up.

Here is how it broke out for my area.

Jan +14%
    Feb +50%
    Mar 0%
    Apr -63%
    May -68%
    Jun -100%
    Jul -84%
    Aug -53%
    Sep -76%
    Oct +41%
    Nov -70%
    Dec ?

Total year -51%.

Picture is from today. I still have a few perennials keeping their foliage!

{{gwi:868441}}

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

I look at mild late autumn temps as a blessing (upper 60s yesterday). Alot of root growth for many tree species occurs in autumn as long as soil temps permit. So, many of my trees are currently adding some root mass & extent.

whaas, what are those little red rosettes? Look like prostate bear oaks...

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I feel the same way with establishing my plants, they will be less stressed during drought and when colder temps hit.

I think you are speaking of the Heuchera? I fogret which cultivar they are off hand.

• Marie Tulin
    11 years ago

I'm glad The hose is flexible enough to water (we had to turn on the water again) the many, many shrubs and trees planted in the first two weeks of Nov. This includes my first foray into the more expensive conifers, Taylor's Sunburst. Not the most expensive (katsura, paperbark maple,and ...._____ [read brain dead] pseudocamillis beat it) but you guys have raised growing conifers to an art form and the bar is high.
    idabean/marie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!