Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify this unknown conifer!

Posted by FxBeast none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 19:49

Hello everyone!
There is a nice big conifer growing on the side of one of the streets near where I live. I have seen several trees around the town that appear to be the same species, but nobody seems to know what it is. I have tried identifying it by comparing with pictures online but so far my search has been unsuccessful. I am interested because there I have a large piece of land where I would like to plant some conifers, and this particular kind seems like it grows well in my area. So thinking in the long term, I would like to figure out what species it is so I can get seedlings/seeds. I would really appreciate any input from the experts here! Thanks!

Here are some pictures (click to enlarge):

The whole tree
Photobucket

A bit closer to the tree
Photobucket

Close to the base - bark
Photobucket

Foliage
Photobucket

Any help is much appreciated!!

Regards,

FxBeast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify this unknown conifer!

A pine (Pinus species). Maybe Monterey Pine (Pinus radiata)?

o

Agree, probably Monterey Pine Pinus radiata. Looks to be infected with pine pitch canker (casues the dead branches). What location is it?

Resin

o

This is in a town in the South American Andes. I thought it might be Pinus radiata or maybe Pinus wallichiana. If it is radiata then pretty much all the trees around are also infected, because they all look pretty much alike.

Does anyone know of any large tree (conifer or otherwise) that grows well at high altitude (3500+m)in a dry climate (rain in the summer), and on somewhat clay soils? Tough question, I know. ;) I've been researching this for months...

The only thing that seems to thrive is Eucalyptus globulus, but I'm looking for something that will let other plants and grass grow under it. So this pine (if we can determine what it is)seemed like a good choice, but if it is susceptible to this infection then maybe not so much. Any ideas?

FxBeast

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 16:05

Himalayan white pine is quite different, a translucent grayish tree with down-hanging or arching silver-banded needles in bundles of 5.

o

"This is in a town in the South American Andes .... Does anyone know of any large tree (conifer or otherwise) that grows well at high altitude (3500+m)in a dry climate (rain in the summer), and on somewhat clay soils?"

Which town / what latitude? What are the minimum temperatures there? Much below 0�C? Presumably not too low if Eucalyptus globulus does well. And what rainfall?

A couple of ideas (only provisional, subject to change on location & climate information!), would be Pinus canariensis and Pinus hartwegii.

Also, can you get any photos of some cones of the pines? That would help confirm it is P. radiata (or not!).

Resin

o

I will take more pics when I'm back in town next week. During what season is it that Pinus cones usually mature?

It's between 16 and 17 degrees South. It's at an elevation of around 3700 m according to my cellphone's GPS. Average lows in the winter are -2C and the lowest ever recorded was -11C. As far as rainfall, it occurs mostly in the summer and the yearly total is between 580 and 680 mm.

I was also thinking that it might be Pinus patula, I'm starting to doubt this however. Do you think that Pinus wallichiana would do well in these conditions? What about Paulownia tomentosa?

FxBeast

o

Thanks!

Pinus patula probably wouldn't be quite hardy enough, it gets frost damage between -5 to -10C, and also likes a bit higher rainfall. Best options would be some of the other higher altitude Mexican pines, like Pinus engelmannii, Pinus hartwegii and P. ayacahuite, they come from very similar climates.

Pine cones typically mature in the winter, but on several species often persist on the trees for a long time after maturity, so getting pics won't be difficult if you can find a younger tree with them on low branches.

Resin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here