Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

Longleaf Pine witches broom find?

treeguy123
11 years ago

I found this Longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) in the wild, and I'm pretty sure it looks like I discovered a witches broom, but I want all of your options. What do you all think of the broom? And has there ever been a Pinus palustris witches broom discovered?

Comments (11)

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

Yep - I have found quite a few on longleaf, slash, spruce and sand pines around here. The problem is often getting scions collected since they are so high up!

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought it was cool, it's the first broom I've ever found. I think I could get some scion using a pole pruner. Maybe I could attempt to graft a few branches of it to a Loblolly pine at my house. :-)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Very nice broom, indeed!
    It is worth propagating--looks to have an open and bushy form.

-Sam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

peeps have been known to use a shotgun for harvesting..

ken

• Simoni
    11 years ago

HI,
    AND PLEASE YOU ARE WILLING TO SEND SOME SCIONS TO EUROPE?
    M.S.

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Nice I like the long needles on it

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"HI,
    AND PLEASE YOU ARE WILLING TO SEND SOME SCIONS TO EUROPE? "

No. It is illegal to import live pine foliage into Europe from North America. Don't send any.

Only seeds and dried herbarium material can be imported into Europe.

Resin

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi Resin,
    it depends on the agreenment between us and treeguy123?
    MS

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At the moment I wasn't really thinking of mailing any scion, especially since I have not named/grafted it yet, and perhaps I could even patent it? :-) Plus overseas shipping and laws like Resin mentioned would likely be trouble.

Sam and blue_yew, It does have nice long needles and seems thick and bushy. There is a good chance it could end up looking like Pinus taeda 'Nana' except it would have longer needles.

Pinus taeda 'Nana' (which I think came from a broom many years ago):

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And Ken, I've thought about using my shotgun if the Pole Pruner is not long enough (option #2). Dax gave me that idea with his video. :)

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Hi Resin,
    it depends on the agreenment between us and treeguy123?
    MS"

No, it depends on European Plant Health legislation. If you did import a specimen, both you and the sender could be subject to heavy fines, and maybe prison sentences.

You also risk importing several very damaging pine diseases, which could not only ruin your own business, but also the health and viability of pines across the whole of Europe and Asia.

Do you really want to be responsible for importing the pine equivalent of Dutch Elm Disease, or Chestnut Blight, or any of the other disasters that have resulted from past live plant foliage imports? Don't try it.

Resin

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21