Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus chiapensis

Posted by salicaceae z8b FL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 21:31

A rare white pine from Chiapas. I grew this from seed from B/T. It won't stop growing with continuous flushes. This is a problem in winter and it lost the top 25% last year, and re-grew that plus more this year. I think when it becomes more mature it will be less susceptible to freeze injury (I hope):

From December 2, 2012

Here is the leader in new growth right now:

From December 2, 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus chiapensis

Hope it succeeds.

How anyone can still consider that a variety of P. strobus is beyond me.

Resin

o

Here's one at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA.
There must at least one hardy clone!

Johnny

Pinus chiapensis
Planted in 1960, 47' high 51' crown spread

o

"Here's one at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA.
There must at least one hardy clone!

Johnny

Pinus chiapensis
Planted in 1960, 47' high 51' crown spread
"

I'd strongly suspect it is mislabelled. One at Kew labelled "P. chiapensis" has typical P. strobus cones, not P. chiapensis cones (which are quite distinct).

Can you get a close-up pic of the cones on this tree?

Resin

o

Yep, it could be 'strobus' but one of that age would be much larger under typical conditions. I'll make a request for cones and/or pics.

Johnny

o

Given how tender it is, I doubt it too. Mine is very tender and is growing great this year, but I hope we don't get any severe freezes soon!

o

Well 2013 was a cone year at Longwood and I finally received a cone request!.....Resin, what's your opinion on the ID now?

Johnny
 photo Pchiacones_zpsab1eadb2.jpg

photo P1010187_zps949298b4.jpg

o

I think its just strobus Johnny, but we'll see what Resin says. My chiapensis grows continuously through the year and even has tender new shoots on it now. It is getting huge quickly though and seems to be big enough to survive severe freezes (I hope).

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:39

Other internet pictures appear to show a chunkier cone for P. chiapensis.

I'm having problems with links on this site not working, both ones provided by others and ones I'm attempting to provide. So, I will instead say if you go to

http://www.conifers.org/pi/Pinus_chiapensis.php

there is a discussion of the taxonomy.

And a photo of a cone taken from a tree in a native stand.

o

Most likely Pinus ayacahuite, or possibly P. monticola or a hybrid P. ayacahuite x P. strobus.

Resin

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 21:30

Longwood tree and cones don't look like P. monticola; spacing of cone scales is like P. strobus.

o

"Longwood tree and cones don't look like P. monticola"

I've got some wild origin P. monticola which actually look quite similar - the species is very variable (more so than e.g. P. strobus). From some other pics that Johnny sent me, the base of the tree looks like it was mucked about with when young, so the crown shape isn't a good guide (no healthy white pine looks like that naturally!).

Resin

o

"Planted in 1960, 47' high 51' crown spread"

"From some other pics that Johnny sent me, the base of the tree looks like it was mucked about with when young"

1963 was a cold winter, so, maybe freeze damage to the bark?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here