Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salicaceae

Another rare, but hardier white pine

salicaceae
11 years ago

Here is P. morrisonicola - a white pine from Taiwan. Not the best picture and its still small, but growing well. Anyone else grow this one?

From December 2, 2012

Comments (6)

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

I like where it is growing-all the downed timber, etc.

+oM

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On my property. Those are some dead oaks that fell over and I left them to rot.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Probably be better with full, or at least more, sun (like all pines!)

Resin

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, but it may tolerate our summers with a bit of dappled shade. It gets
    more sun until noon.

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, but it may tolerate our summers with a bit of dappled shade. It gets
    more sun until noon.

• floramakros
    11 years ago

"Probably be better with full, or at least more, sun (like all pines!)"

Depends where you live, resin, here full sun would be deadly to species that can survive our morning sun/dappled tree-shaded afternoon sun or even afternoon shade. My male Chinese Pistacio tree's wonderfully fine-leaved dappled shade keeps more than one of my plants alive during the summer (my female having been rudely stripped by the wind last night is only covered with tons of grape bunches of bright red nuts that can be seen for blocks). I've counted over 50 bird species that visit her to eat them, including species like Northern red-shafted flickers and large Pileated Woodpeckers that you wouldn't expect to feed on the nuts. Yellow-Billed Magpies (an endemic species only found in the Sacramento Valley) love them too, they look like Mynah Birds with very long tails. Plus how can you not love a species that has male and female trees and you happen to have a mature pair on your property (I didn't plant them and I can't imagine they planned on having a sexed pair, it was most likely pure luck).

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!