Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keefesn1

obscure conifers in my area

keefesn1
11 years ago

Hi all, I am new to these forums as a member but have spent countless hours perusing the boards before finally giving in to my inner plant geek. I am looking for my spring fix and am hitting road blocks already! Does anyone know of a reputable online reailer that has pinus contorta taylor's sunburst and picea pungens spring ghost available, of a decent size and quality? I know there are some issues on grafting root stock of taylor's...

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

welcome to GW ...

and what area might that be???

there are quite a few old posts on sellers... the names of which are escaping me this morn .. the posts i mean ..

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

BTW ....

you dont really define 'of a decent size and quality?' .. nor your budget [which, specifically i do not want to know]... and whether or not you want to be limited to mail order size in regard to such ...

you should begin.. by contacting your local.. HIGH END nursery.. and asking if they have spring orders set for delivery.. and if you can add to the order ... and in this way.. obtain PRIME .. LARGE ... stock being trucked from the west coast ...

otherwise .. i am sure someone will link you to the posts on mail order suppliers ...

as a newbie.. IMHO ... you really should NOT be too wrapped up in the understock debates ... its interesting.. its a variable ... and frankly.. for most of us.. not an issue ... except in hindsight.. lol ..

and it might help to know where you are ... in regard to your choices ...

also.. if these are your first two plants.. do understand.. that they are both spring show type plants.. and otherwise green the rest of the year .. or grey as in SGhost ... and as such.. the spring show is dependent on spring heat ... i have had SG 'show' .. in MI.. for as little as a few days.. or a couple weeks .. depending on how warm it is at bud elongation ... and as a function of that heat.. SG will 'hold' its color a BIT longer.. if it is planted in shade.. during the heat of the day ... but that is still not going to make it a long show ... because otherwise.. its a really ugly plant.. lol ... which is the long way of asking.. where are you???

i have gotten a few plants from the link .. high quality stock ... though i did not check inventory for you ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• keefesn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi ken, thanks for giving me an honest response. When I say 'of size' I mean the biggest I can get. And budget isn't an issue. I realize they are both spring showy plants and want them for that reason, the beds they are going in have more summer, fall and winter interest. I'm in the Harrisburg pa area, and have had my local high end retailer looking for over a year without any success, so that's why I turned to mail order. I recently got a three foot tall abies pinsapo aurea from an online retailer and thought they might have it but to no avail. So now I'm at a loss...

• keefesn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the link you sent me to rare tree nursery, is actually where I got my abies pinsapo aurea from. They have Taylor's but not spring ghost. Thanks for that recommendation though!