Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floramakros

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Moonlight Lace'

floramakros
11 years ago

I received as an early Christmas present a small specimen of this delightful beauty, hopefully someone here has a mature one or knows the basics. The brief tag says full sun, but I'm guessing that's more likely East Coast humid sun or does it take hot dry CA ones? After I figure out where it goes depending on sun tolerance, I'd love to know the adult dimensions (height, width, depth, round, pyramidal, all the good stuff) will this make a nice trimmed hedge under a window or should I put it in a spot to achieve its natural height and shape, which works best for the variegation? If this is the kind that loses variegation with pruning obviously I'll leave it au naturel...thx

Comments (8)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I had one for a while.. until it burned in "Full Sun"
    After having 90% of its variegation burned, I desperately tried to save the plant by moving it during a less-than-ideal time of the year.
    It made it through a few more months in its new location, not looking much better. Eventually, it passed on to that big rock garden in the sky.
    Personally, I wouldn't prune it into a hedge; it loses the artistic aesthetic typical of Chamaecyparis obtusa.

For size reference, I've provided a link to Iseli Nursery's photo. This nursery also discovered this cultivar, so that's a very mature specimen.

Hope this helps!

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Not a cultivar that anyone in their right mind would try to make a hedge out of.

Because of its beauty it should only be considered as a specimen plant.

Where did you say you lived? Oh yea! It's back to Earth CA 9 now.

Morning sun till 11:00 AM then filtered sun the rest of the day.

I'll give it two years max. Rots of ruck with that one.

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Where did you say you lived? Oh yea! It's back to Earth CA 9 now."

It actually is still "none" unless I keep entering it which I only do when location is relevant to the initial question. Good job avoiding me dave, my guess is your other New Year's resolutions will last just as long! ;-)

"Not a cultivar that anyone in their right mind would try to make a hedge out of."

Who made you judge and jury? Everyone has a right to do anything they want with their conifers when it comes to pruning, we don't need your permission. Might as well be vehemently against staking, it makes about as much sense. We're creating artificial man-made gardens for the pleasure of ourselves and other humans, get over it. Unless you are only replacing wild type seedlings in areas of their former range, you're just as guilty as everyone else...

"I'll give it two years max. Rots of ruck with that one."

Did your plant die after two years and you're speaking out of personal experience or is your comment above just an excuse to make a racist imitation of an asian accent, which is it dave? What exactly are the true purposes of you barging into informational threads uninvited to spew your bile? Lonely this Christmas? My sympathies...

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sam, I figured our "full sun" was not the one they meant! What a nice form it creates as it matures. It'll get protection from afternoon sun here. The intricacy is stunning, and those white patches! Thanks for helping me make it thrive, Merry Christmas!

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Haven't you seen Scooby Doo?

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Google "Scooby Doo" and "racism" it might be quite eye-opening for you. You stumbled on my point exactly without even realizing it, thanks for confirmation.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Flora,
    It seems strange you are so uptight.. I think it began with my simple question "What zone do you live in". You jumped all over that like a scalded dog. Fairly simple and straight foreward. Actually I didn't remember and it was a sincere question. I think all will agree zone location for all to see is necessary and I will leave it at that.

Simply put I gave you good information. It is not good hedge material and the sun light/shade requirements were spot on.

Actually my 'Moonlight Lace' expired at one year. I gave mine a 50/50 chance because of the heat and humidity in my zone 5. Obtusa's can be a challange and 'Moonlight Lace' falls into that category. I gave you two years based upon your lack of knowledge for this cultivars needs.

Rots of Ruck just simply a slang term and nothing racial implyed as you suggest.

Really if you must know and I am only telling you this because you asked. and expressed sympathies. I am in Redlands CA enjoying Christmas with family. I have never been lonely and enjoy life to its fullest.

Lighten up. Comebacks at me will only leave you frustrated and expose your inmaturity. We are all here to help you to be successful in the world of conifer gardning.

Dave.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

You can certainly google anything and make a point.

Although I googled floramakros melodramatic and didn't get any hits.