Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spotch_gw

Tips on raising a Jean's Dilly alberta spruce dwarf?

spotch
9 years ago

Sorry for all the newbie questions on this, but I did do a bunch of searching but I got some conflicting information and then some questions didn't seem to be answered clearly, so I thought I'd come here...

I recently bought a Jean's Dilly alberta spruce dwarf from a local nursery and I'd really, really like it to live a long healthy life. I live in Columbus Ohio (though not 'downtown'), so I think climate-wise I'm still in a fairly acceptable climate for it. I was originally hoping to be able to keep it inside by a window, at least for a while, but I'm wondering if that would be detrimental to its health (?). Though we have a yard, I at least want to keep it in a pot for a while because it's very possible that we'll be moving in the next 6-18 months and I don't want to plant it until I know we're settled wherever we're going to end up. Would putting it on a non-climate-controlled sun porch (basically outdoors, except with little/no wind and out of the rain thanks to clear glass slats on 3 sides) in a pot be alright? Also, could anyone recommend an ideal pot or style of pot for me to put it in? Right now it's still in the 4"~ plastic pot the nursery sold it in, and I don't even know what websites to look at for good pots, let alone which style/type would be best for my tree. I'm not desperate to keep it small (I assume pot size affects growth rate some?), especially if that involves harming it in any way, but I'm not looking to make it grow as fast as possible either. Small is great, but not at the cost of health or longevity.

Is there anything else I should know or that I'm not even thinking to ask? I would really appreciate any information or tips that anyone wants to offer!

Edit: just so everyone knows, it's already outdoors! (Well, on the sun porch, but really that's pretty darn outdoors other than the less wind and maybe1-3 degrees warmer?). As soon as I got it home and started researching I saw enough to make me think it should be outside, so it didn't spend more than 12 hours or so indoors.

I also forgot the dumbest question I have... How do you know when it's got "enough" water? I know don't soak/waterlog the soil, but where's the line between too wet and too dry? Anyone have tips on that? (I know, terribly stupid question).

This post was edited by spotch on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 22:49

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The closest you can get to a cold, bright greenhouse the better it will do - ordinary indoor living room conditions definitely not suitable.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i only have a minute ...

i will yell ...

ITS NOT A HOUSEPLANT ...

THAT BORDERS ON TRYING TO KILL IT WITH TOO MUCH LOVE .. oops ... lol ...

it was already hardened off for winter ... get it back outside ... presuming you got it from a cold greenhouse ...

more tomorrow ...

picea glauca if fully hardy.. up here near ann arbor ... i have no clue why bboy thinks it needs a greenhouse ...

use the latin name for better searching ...

track down dannaher landscape in westerville for a brilliant conifer grower ... close enough???

it would be best to plant it in spring... and dig it up in a year or two.. rather than trying to kill it in a pot ...

gotta go

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

are you absolutely sure on this ID ...

there are a couple holiday type conifers.. which are sold as basically throw away ... .. plants after the holidays ...usually sold in 4 inch pots ... [google of the latin.. tells me this is one of them]

if it was outdoors when you got it ... it is probably dormant ... and could probably be planted in mother earth ... subject to the horrible OH clay down in columbus ...

i would NEVER try to winter over a conifer/tree.,... in a 4 inch pot ... i would.. at a min ... repot it.. with NO root disturbance.. to a one gal... with proper media ... i might even just sink pot and all in the larger pot ... its all about maintaining the roots dormant... on days temps spike.. as tiny pots.. warm fast ...

trees ... of which conifers are ... like a sip of water ... and then near total drainage .... even in august.. in MI ... i might water mine once a month or so .... but then.. i dont have then in 4 inch pots ...

let it near dry .... in between waterings ...

and do fully understand ... a dormant tree does not need all that much water ....

its also problematic.. that we dont know the media already in the pot ... media for production.. in a small pot.. can be wildly divergent from what you might need ... it might hold too much water on purpose.. and that purpose is NOT yours ...

you are dreaming that your sunporch might only be a few degrees warmer ... i smoke in my attached garage ... and it can be 15 to 30 degrees warmer than outside.. on sunny days... in mid winter ..... and that wont be good ...

you are spot on on the wind issue .... reducing that is good ...

ken

ps: dannaher... i meant to enable you ... i did not expect you to go asking them.. how to take care of a plant you bought elsewhere ... maybe the website will have info ....

Here is a link that might be useful: galena.. westerville.. whatever ...

• spotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ken, I absolutely want to at least get it out of the 4" pot... If I were to repot it are there any specific types of pots that encourage the types of soil moisture/drainage you recommend? (Other than it being at least gallon sized). Any suggestions on the proper soil to go in the larger pot?

It was kept outside at the nursery, do you think I messed it up having it indoors for less than a day?

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Put it in a plastic 6 inch pot with drainage holes and bury the whole pot in the ground. Then if you move you can lift it out easily. But if you decide you want to stay in the house be sure to pull it out of the ground and actually plant it.

Good Luck.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Better yet, put it in a 3 gallon pot and bury that in the ground. That way if it stays in the ground for over a year that it has room in the pot for root growth.
    That way when you lift it out you wont lose so many roots.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Drainage layers in small containers make drainage worse - the water hits the layer of differently textured material and backs up, until the potting soil above the drainage layer is quite wet, then rushes through the drainage layer.

Creating the false impression that drainage has been made quite good.

Fill the pot with potting soil from top to bottom.

• spotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you recommend mixing some sand into that one layer of soil? (Seems like that site I linked and a few other botanical sites seem to recommend that?)

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

If you are going to put in into a pot and then put the pot into the ground, they just put dirt from your yard into the pot.
    You dont need to get fancy. Drainage materials are for things that are not in the ground.
    I doubt the plant will die from being too wet outside.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Buy a small bag of general or otherwise not specialized (as in orchid mix or cactus mix etc.) potting soil at a garden center and plant it in that. If you are going to plunge the pot outside put it in an adequately deep pile of bark mulch, sand, or other loose material rather than into the ground.