Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcochicago

weeping giant sequoia

marcochicago
13 years ago

Hi all...

i hope im not overposting here.

I was wondering about peoples experience with the weeping giant sequoia...found a nice supplier in oregon with some nice 8' ones BUT how would they fair here in chicago? Is it worth a shot or is this one left best to the warmer climates? Will the fact that it is a more mature specimen increases its chances? will planting early spring help? How may i best site it if it is worth a shot? I am sooooo intrigued by this tree i want one BAAAAAD :)

o and in case anyone was about to suggest something similar yes i have both a nootkanesis(spelled baaad) and also a green arrow and love them both but this weeping sequoia seems a little different in the leader and body.

another nice one i just found was a picea omorika bruns pendula which is rather nice too...anyone have?? advice? i like that one too! :)

thabks for supporting all my rambling but yes the bugs bit me baaaad and i thought i was thru buying last year...dont we all say that ??? :)

Comments (11)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Impossible: Sequoia/Sequoiadendron (either)
    Great choices: nootkatensis and omorika.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

dont worry about the posts.. the more the better ...

the spelling will come ...so dont fret that.. as long as it is close enough that we know which you are talking about ...

but .... always a big but involved ... there are various types of sequoia ... and since i have none in my z5 [meaning i do NOT have a working knowledge of plants not for my zone] ... using the generic weeping giant .. really does NOT specify .. to ME ... which you are referring to ... so some further specificity in that way would help me ...

now as to your specific question ... let me frame it this way ..

an 8 footer is going to cost you ... WAG.. 3 to 500US dollars ... for a zone experiment .. maybe that is in your budget.. but not mine ....

when i 'zone push' or experiment .. i do it with one gallon plants that cost under 35$ ...

i do not believe you have totally ID'd your zone for us ... and there is no way for us to determine what if any MICRO climate there might be in your garden ....

zones are minimum winter temps ... but added to that is winter sun.. and most importantly [the biggest variable] is winter wind ...

if you have some nook where there is no wind.. perhaps in a swale.. but not where icy cold temps gather [a low spot] .. you might add one zone..

but if you are going for 2 zones or more ... spend all you want.. but consider the plant an annual ... that MIGHT survive a couple of years.. but sooner or later.. that bad winter will roll thru and kill it ..

all the power to ya.. whatever you decide ...

ken

ps: are you familiar with the arguments AGAINST large transplants???? .. if not.. another post.. w/o the disclaimers of too many posts..

pps: i gave you that foxwillow link yesterday ... or i dreamed i did ... a quick check of the plant list or catalog.. will tell you whether they grow them with enough ease to offer them ... if they dont.. that probably says it all ...

• leo503
    10 years ago

I just bought a 8' weeping sequoia from cloud country in Beavercreek, Oregon. they are nice people that take pride in their plants. I paid $40.00. Nice winter time sale in Oregon. I don't know if it's the same place you were talking about, but I do recommend them. Cant beat the price. Don't know what shipping will cost you though. And yes, they will do just fine there. They can grow in southern Alaska. Let me know if you need contact info and happy gardening.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Leo, it really depends what you mean by "southern Alaska." Some parts of southern Alaska are zone 8b. The OP, in Chicago, is 6b. (And most of the Chicago suburbs are 5a, one zone colder than the city.)

Here's the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map: you can put in a zip code at the top left, or click on Alaska:
    http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

I lived in NE IL for nearly 40 years. I remember being surprised when a co-worker's parents, who lived in the city, planted a Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) ... but that's a different animal entirely. (That was probably at least a dozen years ago; I wonder how tall it is now.)

• leo503
    10 years ago

What I'm trying to say is, cold is not a problem with these guys as they will do just fine in zone 3. sequoiadendron gigantium var.pendulum is what we are talking about by the way, and you should do everything in your power to get one you will be glad you did. besides my brugmansias they are my favorite plant. happy gardening one and all.

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

From Cloud Country Designs facebook page:

That is a 7-8 ft. Alaskan Cedar. They are also known as Chamaecyparic nootkatensis Glauca Pendula. They are won of the most easy to grow and versatile evergreen conifer that I know of.

Check out the grammar.

Frank

Here is a link that might be useful: Cloud Country Designs

• leo503
    10 years ago

They have rows of Alaskan cedar also. As well as weeping hemlock. The weeping sequoia are a little more. They have $40 size and about a foot taller $50. One clear way to tell the difference if you are not sure what you have is the painfull rash. I really wish I had worn gloves. Yesterday, bloody spots and red welts all over my hands and wrists. I also got a standard giant with a 5" base,8' tall and about a two hundred pound rootball for $25! I paid that much for a one gallon before. Their add on craigslist is where I found them. Although I have been past their farm in lower highland many times. Thank you for the link. it does have some different pics. Getting ready for church, hope you all can make it too.

• slama.wbgarden
    10 years ago

Hi. Sequoiadendron giganteum pendula in my garden. In summer, the temperature is well over thirty degrees Celsius.
    Czexh republic. Europe.

Sequoiadendron giganteum pendula

Sequoiadendron giganteum pendula fb

Jan Slama wbgarden

Here is a link that might be useful: wbgarden

• leo503
    10 years ago

postscript: Where they grow them right now the temp spent a couple weeks in the single digits at night. They are in the mollala mountains, so they will be spending some time half buried in snow not even in the ground but in burlap rootballs on top of ground in sawdust.

• leo503
    10 years ago

My giant redwood I got from cloud country started dying right after I put it in the ground and now it looks like the weeping sequoia is dying too:(.... I told them and they said it looks like it didn't survive the digging and there is no guarantee on wholesale plant and it's the luck of the draw. It was so much work digging those holes. Is this kind of failure common with rootballed evergreen trees? It's nice soil that's very rich in humus. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• leo503
    10 years ago

they are giving me a new weeping sequoia. yay :)