Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
420benz

Fertilizing Conifers

420benz
9 years ago

All of my conifers were planted about 6mos.ago.This is a brand new house in Ga.zone 7b. 1)Can I fertilize these new plants now?

1. Was told to use Holly Tone but it seems to be very expensive. 3) Is there a less expensive fertilizer that I can use?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

does a soiltest indicate anything is missing from the soil ..

looking about your yard.. is there any indication that the soil is not fertile??

i do NOT fertilize conifers at all ... they are trees ... not babies ...

if they are in a fertilized lawn.. sooner or later.. they will get.. whatever they may need

ken

• firefightergardener
    9 years ago

I don't fertilize my conifers at all, in fact I have poor, sandy soils and that's what I consider ideal for most of them. Generally you want your plants to grow slower, not faster, and extra fertilizer may make them just get lanky and unkempt.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Same here, I've never fertilized my conifers. They grow fast enough as it is. Most people don't realize how fast normal conifers and deciduous trees grow until they have grown them awhile. Occasional visitors at my garden always remark how large the trees have grown since the last time they were here.
    As mentioned above, growth can be weak and lanky that would require pruning. Bugs love weak and lanky!
    In my climate, ice and snow will do more damage than if they weren't fertilized.
    Unless a need can be shown for fertilizer I'd save yourself some trouble and money.
    Mike

• 420benz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ga. Has all clay soil. I dought
    if there are any newtriants in it. That's why I thought I would give them some help with 1/2 doses of Hollytone.

This post was edited by benzmac1989 on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 15:08

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Gosh, why is this so hard for people to understand?
    Clay soil actually retains nutrients.
    If you add them prolifically, the plants won't need to grow as extensive a root system, and then will be more likely to fall over in storms or whatnot. If there are trees growing in your area, and as far as I know they grow everywhere in the state of Georgia, there is enough nutrients in the soil to support the growth of those trees, AND yours.
    It's a bit different with something like a tomato, where yes, you want to speed its growth in the maximum 6-7 month lifespan of the plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

first off... welcome to GW ... we need some new blood ... and tag ... you are it ....

now.. have you ever seen a ball and burlap plant ... IT WAS GROWN IN CLAY... else wise.. no ball can be formed ... trust me on that.. in my glacial sand... if i need to move something.. it is ALWAYS bare root ... as the sand falls away ...

also ... i used to do roses... and they were ALL grown in clay ... as they came.. bare root mail order.. with globs of the stuff.. still attached ...

the usual problem with clay.. is water management ... if you can perfect.. like the pros do... water management... as dave mentions.. the clay is nutritious... but you should have a $10 soil test done.. to find out ...

please review the link .. about clay soils ... the usual homeowners problem revolves around water draining away ... as most trees... of which conifers are ... do not want to sit in a dug kettle of standing water ..

sooo .. often.. we plant potted plants... half in the clay ... and half above.. with good draining soil covering the rest ...

never forget... roots need air ... as much as water ... so drainage is key ...

and we never recommend... amending a planting hole ... also covered at the link ...

and lastly ... we are concerned about roots in pots.. that have wound round and round ... like the wheels on the bus ... and we often bare root such.. and perform root surgery ...

if you have perfected all those variables.... THEN .. you should be all set ... but if you skipped any of them ... throwing some fert on them.. is not going to help ...

would you like to discuss it all ... or are you fixated on feeding your babies alone???

i have found.. over the years... a new post with a new searchable title ... is the best way to handle new topics ... i have given you 3 or so ... otherwise... this one post might get ridiculously long... and complicated ...

lets see some pix of your conifers ... please?????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• 420benz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK like I said this is a new house wit all new opted plants from HD. Most of them have been in the ground for omly 6mos.They all look great so I will Not Fert. Any of them thanks to all of the great info from this site. Thanks
    BTW: I will get the soil tested asap.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Welcome also.

Uh oh, new house. Here that means something akin to strio mining occurred to level the lots and let the builder sell off the top soil. My friends in new construction neighborhoods have a totally different experience with trees than I do. Get that soil test done.

FWIW, if it shows you do need to fertilize I wonder if spring would be when to. Even down south forcing new growth in December sounds risky.