9 years ago

Needles

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

Pinus aristata.

Clement

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey!!!! ... that was going to be my guess ... lol ...

the white resinous bits on the green are the usual giveaway ... dont think its something bad ....

i dont quite understand... how it got into this form .... its not normal .... regardless.. its very old.. and very cool ...

ken

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

There are many here like this although thankfully perhaps most have not been made into such Calgary Palms as this one has - specimen would be far more impressive if branching to the ground.

It will not be "very" old - but will certainly have taken some years to develop.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 12:19

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

they grow trunks that fast in the PNW???

by old.. i was thinking 10 to 20 years ... not thousands ...

how old do you think it is..

here in MI ... my 15 year older is about 5 foot tall from a second year graft ... i havent stuck my head in there ... but i would think the trunk no more than 3 to 5 inches?????

i like the blue mat under ... it would be a juniperous out my way ....

whoever did the planting ... had an interesting concept... but no clue as to growth potential ... probably limbed up the pine to show off the juniper...

which is limbing up a thousand dollar plant.. to save a 5 dollar plant ...

ken

• PurpleBlueGold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the id. I think it looks good like it is. It actually has two trunks.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

When you limb up a small conical tree with no bark interest the exposed stems look raw more often then not. And the top looks like it is hovering, producing an appearance of instability.

Whereas one branching to the ground looks anchored and elegant.

Definitely this pruning job gets filed under Butchery.

According to Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006) the larger bristle-cone pines seen in Seattle at that time were in the 20-33+ ft. range, with there being a large number of smaller ones also. In my travels in this region I have seen many about the size of the one in the picture on this thread. To age a specific example without coring it annual shoot growth would have to be estimated by studying the trunk and branches up close.

• pineresin
    9 years ago

I'd say 20-30 years old for this Pinus aristata.

Resin