Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suburbangardenmd

Best All Around Wicking Mix For SWC

suburbangardenMD
11 years ago

I all set to get a mixin', but had a thought and wanted some opinions. We humans tend to overthink things, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, with so many mix recipes and variations tailored to climate, plant, etc., is there an all around base mix that anyone would recommend as a starting point?

Raybo has the 3:2:1 ( 3:3:2 I believe for peppers ), there is the 2 parts peat moss, 1 part compost, drizzling of lime and epsom from Larry Hall ( AKA the Minnesotakid ! ), and a few others I have run across on here and elsewhere.

I am going with the 3:2:1 as my base, but cant resist adding a little VC since I have three bins going. last year I used straight MG potting mix, no moisture control and it seemed to work ok...plants lived but as new to SWC guy...and a guy who tends to skip the directions and believe the marketing on the MG bag I didn't add fertilizer, just a foliar spray with a compost tea mix, the plants sputtered along.

Any thoughts on what would be the simplest base mix to recommend to friends, family, and neighbors thinking of using a SWC?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm