Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_portland

What's your favorite book about gardening?

terri_portland
17 years ago

Read any good garden books lately? Not necessarily how-to, but about gardening and gardeners. My favorite is Voices From the Earth: A Year in the Life of a Garden by William Longgood. He's a retired journalist and catalogues each season in his garden on Long Island. Very sweet and well written. Great winter reading!

Comments (17)

• skagit_goat_man_
    17 years ago

Gene Logsdon's The Contrary Farmer's Invitation to Gardening. To me it reinforced my belief that gardening is not a hobby or time filler, it is living a philosophy. Tom

• drewshap
    17 years ago

For a how-to gardening book my favorite is 'The Vegatable Gardener's Bible,' by Edward Smith. As far as gardening tales and wisdom I love Michael Pollan's 'Second Nature' though anything by Roger Swain is a great read as well.

• shapiro
    17 years ago

Gosh! Hard to pick. I divide gardening books into the practical advice and those about philosophy of gardening... The practical one I use the most is the "Readers' Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening in Canada" and then, one which I have enjoyed a lot this year: "The Garden, an English Love Affair", which covers about 1,000 years of gardening, going back to the Norman Conquest. Another really good one is "Lilies of the Hearth", this is all about the relationship between women and plants in history.

• veggievicki
    17 years ago

Still Square Foot Gardening. It's probably not the best, but my brother bought it for me when I was in high school to encourage me. It's the book that got me hooked. It helped me be successful and stick with it. It still gives me ideas.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Interesting question... but hard to narrow down to just one.

There are books about food history & culture (such as Will Weaver's books).

How-to's, such as "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" by Carol Deppe, or "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth.

Reference books, such as "Cornucopia II, A Sourcebook of Edible Plants" or "Garden Seed Inventory, Sixth Edition".

Harvest books & recipes, such as "The Bean Bible" by Eliza Green & "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich. And of course, the Ball Blue Book.

Coffee table books, including Amy Goldman's pictorials on squash & melons, and "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden" by Carolyn Male.

• peggy_g
    17 years ago

RODALE'S ALL-NEW ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ORGANIC GARDENING and BETTER VEGETABLE GARDENS THE CHINEESE WAY by Peter Chan: wonderful method of raised bed gardening with many inspiring photographs. This has been my raised bed bible...not totally organic...

• georgia__boy
    17 years ago

My favorites are two that haven't been mentioned. First is "The Progressive Farmer's Garden Book for the South."
    (Out of print since the 60's)

Another is Angello Pelligrini's "A Food Lovers Garden." It is about gardeninig on the Pacific Slope of Washington and Oregon but it is so inspiring and well written that it will make your mouth water. It is easy to adapt to my zone by using the spring frost free and fall first frost dates.

I may have misspelled the names because I am at work and I don't have the books in front of me.

Joe

• harryvetch
    17 years ago

Any of Dick Raymond's books, especially Joy of Gardening.
    He has a love & enthusiasm of gardening which is contagious.
    The guy is a bit of a goober, but if his writings don't make you wanna get out & get your hands dirty, you don't have a pulse!

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

I use Joy Larckom's garden books for reference quite often.

• clockwork
    16 years ago

Laugh all you want, but my first and only book to date on gardening is Gardening for Dummies. Everythign else I have learned in my rookie year came from these forums.

The book was an excellent newbie reference guide and has been helpful, and I thank them. I also thank you folks here for teaching and entertaining me. What a slice!

Clock

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the "...For Dummies" series. They actually go to the most respected authorities in the fields and ask them to contribute in writing.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

{{gwi:98808}}

High-Yield Gardening by Brenda Bortz is an excellent book on how to utilize your vegetable garden space efficiently. I highly recommend it and it's very inexpensive via eBay or Amazon. A great reference addition to the garden library.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Crockett's Victory Garden by Jim Crockett is still my favorite. I learned more about gardening from Crockett than from anybody.

• cambse
    16 years ago

For me it's "Getting the Most from Your Garden, Using Advanced Intensive Gardening Techniques" It's by Dan Wallace, published by Rodale Press. It was written in 1980 and is long out of print but it can be found in used bookstores, Ebay, and such. This book is written so clearly and is a wonderful source of intensive gardening info.

• terri_portland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My all-time favorite how-to book is John Seymour's The Self Sufficient Gardener. Luscious illustrations, practical information, easy to read. {{gwi:98809}}

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

My two favorites are "Tough Plants for Southern Gardens" by Felder Rushing and "Secrets of a Kentucky Gardener" by Karen Angellucci

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Ruth Stout, "No Work Garden Book"