Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

Please identify Okra, Clemson Vs Cowhorn

ju1234
11 years ago

I grew the Clemson from nursery transplants, so I know for sure that is the correct one. I grew cowhorn from seed I received in trade. I have picture of fully mature fruit ready to be dried for seed. The Cowhorn fruit looks exactly like Clemson in all respects. Can you tell if this is really Cowhorn.

I suppose you can post only one photo per message, so i am posting two more messages to post the photo of the plants of these varieties.

Comments (13)

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the Cowhorn plant. It has lots of side branches Vs Clemson which is one streight vertical stalk with no side branches. Next picture is that of Clemson

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is Clemson.

Please tell me if Cowhorn fruit is supposed to look exactly like Clemson?

The other one I have included is Burmese, again on a plant grown from seed from trade.

I have one plant of Louisiana 16". I did not have any mature fruit to show you. However the fruit looks pretty much like the Burmese. The Louisiana plant however is much more sprawling, much stouter, taller, wider than the Burmese. The burmese is also branched but not as much as Cowhorn or Burmese. Next post shows a picture of Burmese.

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is picture of Burmese plant.

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Reagarding plant of Clemson, forgot to mention that each one of the stalks in the photo is one plant.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

That is not Louisiana long horn or Cowhorn as already stated. And those pods are not ready for saving for seed. They should be dry before picking. Usually you let one plant go to seed for next years plantings. When I raised them they got to be over 8 feet tall and the branches spread out just as far but they can be grown so that the branches reach through the next plants with no problems when it comes to the fruit. At times not all seeds come true as I also got a few that were had round smooth pods, but had a bad taste as well as smell when cooking those I learned to remove. The pods were tender up to 3 days after the blooms fall off no matter how long they are. They are very productive all summer long. This okra has been around for many years and the best way to get them is from a friend not a seed company.

• grandad_2003
    11 years ago

ju1234, the Cowhorn I have grown looks mostly like the middle okra in the picture at the top of this post shown as Burmese.

• IAmSupernova
    11 years ago

I supposedly have Clemson Spineless (from Walmart seed packet by Jiffy) but it's a bushy plant, not just one giant vertical stalk. I actually have 4 plants total. Pods look the same as yours though.

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wally-1936, Is Louisiana Long horn, Louisiana 16", Cowhorn same thing by different names?

Like I said earlier, the one plant of Louisiana 16" that I do have produces opkra similar to the middle okra in my picture. Does that middle fruit (my Burmese) look like the cowhorn or Louisiana Long horn that you know?

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Cowhorn, photo almost straight up, plant about 12 feet tall at the time,longest pod is about 14 inches.

{{gwi:99508}}

DarJones

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fusionpower, This plant is amazing. Looking at the relative size, looks like the nodes are only about 3 inches apart, which means a lot of okra on a 12' plant.

Do you have any seed saved from this you can share?
    Thanks.

• ju1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Puzzled about the cowhorn okra, i searched web for photos, came up with several on this link http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-585-s&sz=all&va=cowhorn+okra

There are some "cowhorn" that do look like clemson's.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Thanks for the photos, I am going to try CowHorn next Spring.
    I enjoyed the photos very much.
    Fusion power what size chain saw do you cut your Okra with & what size trailer do you haul it on?
    If you where to can/jar it whole, would you use 5 gallion buckets?

• grandad_2003
    11 years ago

Concur with post by Fusin_Power. This would be the Cowhorn that I have grown... and it would likely also be 12 ft tall at this point...and headed for 14 ft or so before it expires. (Well done! Fusion Power.)