Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memo3

My house in town

memo3
10 years ago

I'm still working away like a beaver on my house in town. I don't know how to post more than one pic at a time so I'll have to do a few in a row here if I can figure it out. I white washed the outside with a mortar mixture on the stucco (real stucco), painted the trim and have since had a new roof installed. Planted a few trees and shrubs but no grass. I'm now working on the interior and have my back porch, kitchen, guest room and sewing room done. Four rooms to go! Paint and new flooring going in each.

Comments (16)

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front bed has purple nine bark and several perennials planted in it now.

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Porch in progress, you can see the new flooring I've chosen for the entire house. Can you say no more dirty carpet?!!!

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen. I've chosen to repurpose a old armoire desk as a baking center rather than to put in new cabinets and counter tops for now. I absolutely love this thing and bake ten times more than I ever used to. It is the handiest thing and holds all of my baking equipment in one spot!

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inside the baking center..

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've still got to paint the cabinets white but the walls are all painted pale yellow and I've added some wallpaper wainscoating to the back splash. I want to replace this portion of my counter tops next spring

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My sewing room...just finished and love it so much! I can't wait to get in here and make something ;)

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other side of sewing room and you can see some of the flooring in this pic too. My long arm fits in here wall to wall across the width of the room and it's perfect because I can access the back side of it by coming in the door behind it.

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better pic of the flooring (and my obscene fabric stash,lol)

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm starting on the bathroom this week. I have done the majority of the work by myself, only hiring out the roofing and guttering work. In the bathroom I'm putting in planked walls made from 1/4" plywood, new toilet and vanity and new flooring as well. Only the old tub will remain. I guess I haven't taken any pics of the guest room yet. I'll take some when I take pics of the bath and share them with you next time. Umm..give me a couple of months. I'm not very fast at this stuff! Hahaha!!
    Pic for Sewnmom/Molly!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Hi Memo, it's been awhile. I love what you're doing to your place and that baking center is fabulous.

We did a do over in our house a few years back, got rid of most of the carpet and tiled throughout the house, so easy to clean now.

I'm not much of a sewer now but my neighbour is, she'd be drooling if she could see your sewing room, she quilts too. By the way that's a beauty hanging on the wall I bet that was a lot of hours putting it together but a labor of love right?

Now don't be a stranger, I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of both inside and out.

Annette

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annette! I didn't make the quilt on the wall of the sewing room. Sewnmom/Molly here at the Cottage made it for me in a "Quilts for Quilters" swap on a quilting forum on the internet. Small world that we would run into each other here on a gardening forum eh?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh Memo, that house is darling and I love all your 'fixes'! I always envy those who are talented in sewing and baking-makes winters pass more quickly, I imagine.

I cannot wait to see what you do with your garden. I had a ninebark. The galloping gardeners destroyed it. The dogs and I obviously have differing ideas on what constitutes the perfect garden. Ha.

Thanks for all the pics. I am very impressed with all your DIY!

Cynthia

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Cynthia, Thank you. Yes, I have plenty to keep me busy no matter what time of year it is. Sometimes more than I want but busy hands, happy heart as they say. I'm self taught in most everything I do out of necessity and being a Virgo way too particular so I kind of drive myself crazy trying to get everything good enough to suit myself, lol! I understand about the animals not sharing your vision. I put up with that for years on the ranch, cows, goats and chickens can really make a mess of a lovely garden! And for some reason the dogs always thought it was their "going" ground. I used to wonder if they secretly hated my guts! Ha!! We just have to learn to get along and understand that it's their space too. I hope you have a great gardening season coming up.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Memo - I had been wondering what you were up to - lots, apparently!! You have made tremendous progress, if I am remembering this place from a couple of years ago!! Your energy must be amazing and I am so happy for you. Keep posting pictures of you progress, please.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Hi MeMo, it's so nice to hear from you and see all the progress you have made on your house. I'm impressed that you can do flooring, along with all of your other skills. I'm not a baker, but I think your baking center is pretty cool. It's a great idea to put everything together like that.

I wish more cottagers would see what you have done, but this Conversations side has become sort of a backwater lately, with mostly just us trivia players showing up.

Keep up the good work, kiddo.

TM

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, Yes this is the same place. I've been here four years now. Two as a renter and two as an owner. I am really beginning to enjoy it now that I'm finally able to get some things done around here.

TM, Thanks! The flooring is so easy, easy easy to install. I went back and forth in my mind for the longest time. Wood, laminate, new carpets ach!! I finally decided on this vinyl flooring which I got from Lowes. It is self stick but I put it down with a vinyl glue to be sure it stays in place. That too was a wise decision because there are a couple of places where i was an inch or so shy of gluing enough to fit a whole strip in place and those edges have lifted slightly. It just makes the floor look more wood/realistic really but could have been a disaster if I hadn't used the vinyl glue. This stuff cuts with scissors or you can score it with a carpet knife blade and just snap it apart. The kitchen floor and back porch have been done for a year now and I really think I made the best decision going with the vinyl. It can take water and pets like nobody's business! A damp paper towel shines it right up whenever anyone tracks in mud. Looking forward to getting the rest of the rooms done but will have to wait awhile as I need another surgery. Maybe I can start in again in May or June. Have a great gardening season!

MeMo

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor