Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning friends and happy three-day weekend to those of us in the US (Martin Luther King Day).

Not much on the agenda today. We have friends coming to watch football this afternoon, so I will be putting away the last of the Christmas decorations which are cluttering the dining room table...or maybe not since we will be eating in front of the tv, lol. No grandpup today because of that and it is a good thing, too. What a difference from our beautiful warm 60-degree weekend last week. Today is cold with lots of wind-yuck.

Anyway, I was thinking this week about books. One of my friends at school has her first novel coming out this spring and we are all so thrilled for her. I am finding out lots about the publishing business. Had no idea the author does not choose the illustrator or cover artist. Also, they don't always have the last word on the title. Which brings me to...

What novel had a working title of Tote the Weary Load? I will be back with more alternative titles for this well-known novel. There are a couple that might give it away, so I'll save those for later.

Comments (15)

• thinman
    12 years ago

I hear you about the cold weather, Cynthia. It's -2 F here right now, though nice and sunny.

How great for your friend that she's getting published. My daughter is a writer who has a few short stories published, but hasn't been successful with her novel yet.

I'll be needing some big hints on this one. The author's initials would be good. :)

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Good morning Cyn, TM, everyone, I'm afraid I need hints too. I'll be watching for them, later.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM, giving the initials this early would be a dead give-away, I fear. Sorry to complain about our wind and cold when you are so much worse! Still, I will be glad when it is gone and spring arrives! Heading south anytime soon?

I could be way more obvious and will be a bit later.

Right now, here are another two working titles: Bugles Sang True and Not in Our Stars.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Yes, we're headed to Orlando in Feb. to accompany the GKs and family to DW. It should be lots of fun to see them try to take it all in.

I'm getting a slight flavor of wartime from the hints. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. We'll just have to wait and see. And think a little. Heading to the basement now to work on repairing a guitar that had a little mishap. I'll think while I putz around.

TM

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I know the unused title, Tote the Weary Load, because I read a biography of the author a few years back. My mom took me to the movie when I was a teenager then I read this epic war novel. Maybe I will start rereading it tomorrow.

It was also surprising to me that the author generally has little or no say in choosing illustrations. My friend was looking at illustrations for her book and was not happy that she could not veto the ones chosen.

12 years ago

Oh fiddle de dee, these working titles aren't ringing any bells, after dissecting each and every word in Cyn's last response two words popped out at me, if I'm right TCM showed the movie just recently, I have both it and the sequel (different actors) in my DVD collection.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I guess you don't need the next title, Tomorrow is Another Day, do you? :) Or the source for the chosen title: The Days When Cynara was Queen Shall Not Return for Me by Catallus

Cynthia

12 years ago

Ahhhhh, "Tomorrow is another day" that one WOULD have twigged it for me :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, are you saying that your "Fiddle dee dee" wasn't a clue? I thought that was brilliant!

Cynthia

12 years ago

Cyn, if you had come out with "Tomorrow is another day" earlier I would have twigged right away LOL. It was the words "wind" and "gone" that did it for me. As to the other working titles none of them are familiar to me. "Fiddle de dee" was my way of telling you I think I've got it.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, that is what I thought! Also, didn't want to come out with that one too soon b/c it does give it away, doesn't it?

TM, this may not have been quite fair to you. Seems this book is more of a girl's choice than one boys would read. I'll try to come up with a gender-neutral question next week.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I too thought "Fiddle dee dee" was a great clue.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for Annette and Bobbie who knew the novel is Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind. Another title she considered was "Ba! Ba! Black Sheep" Apparently, that one is well-known, so I didn't offer that to you. I had not heard it, though.

"I have forgot much, Cynara! Gone, gone with the wind" is the line from Catallus that gave Mitchell her title. I think her choice was a good one, much better than the others.

TM, do I owe you stars? I am thinking you were leaning toward the answer with your wartime reference!

Thanks for playing! Now on to Sunday Trivia.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Nope, you don't owe me any. I was clueless until Annette mentioned gone and wind. At that point, even a slow-witted person like me kind of got it.

And don't worry about gender-neutrality. It's hard enough to come up with questions each week without trying to restrict yourself too much. Just throw out whatever you think of and I'll deal with it, or fail to deal with it. Either way is fun.

Thanks for your efforts.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks TM! Happy Sunday.

Cynthia

Sponsored