Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all!

I hope today finds everyone rested from a good night's sleep and happy to be alive. I have been feeling a tad grouchy lately-you former teachers can probably imagine why...too much paperwork and our starry-eyed kids always seem to forget all the rules about behavior this time of year. Can't imagine life without those shining faces, but at the same time...*sigh* Happily, we have two teacher workdays on Monday and Tuesday. One is work from home day (and yes, I really will be working, albeit in my pajamas!) and the other is a county-wide inservice day. I will be attending workshops on explosive students and how to de-escalate situations. Having been in the business so long, I usually find that there is little new in these presentations, but I am hopeful that I will come away with some new strategies. The funny thing is that my horoscope, which I rarely read, but which jumped off the page at me yesterday, talked about how it is my lot for the time being to always be doing for others. Hmmmm...

Anyway, your "Today in History" factoid is that today is the anniversary of the Challenger explosion and yesterday was the anniversary of the launchpad fire in 1967 that killed astronauts Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee. A lot of us grew up during the dawn of the Space Age and I remember wishing that they let girls be astronauts, too. I can imagine little more soul-tingling than being in space and seeing Earth or all those millions of stars. Of course, since I lack the scientific mind that would have gotten me there, it really doesn't matter one way or the other. Good to dream though.

So, if you are still with me after all my ramblings,on to the trivia question...

What beast is fought by the man who shines brightly with Alnilam, Alnitak, and Mintaka?

Cynthia

Comments (26)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Wow. I just saw this exact question on my computer. I think it was yesterday. I thought it was in reference to some sci-fi-fantasy thing and skipped over it. Too bad, because I'd know the answer now.

I don't recognize the three names as star names, but I'll bet they are, given your nice hints. I'll be trying to think of beasts in the night sky.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha TM, yes, I was lazy this week and took my question from Google a Day. My brain was pretty fired by yesterday afternoon, but it is amazing how quickly one recovers given a weekend!

I am usually pretty stubborn about not looking to a trivia site, but couldn't quite get there this week. For extra points, can you name the man, too?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Morning all! Going in later today - shouldn't but am. My horoscope said something about sticking to plans, but I didn't read it till I got up!! I read a great article many years ago, in Ms. magazine, and written of course, by Gloria Steinem. Among many other things, it talks about women originally being mentioned for the space program as sexual diversions during long space flights, say to Mars. We really have come a long way. lol.
    But that's not where you're going with this. I agree, they must be stars. Maybe they are in a constellation whose name was used during the space program?? Guessing big time here. I think short of telling, I'm toast on this one!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Mmmmm, I also think they must be stars but other than that, don't have a clue :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you are taking a little time to yourself this mornming, Nancy. I am taking it easy, too. We had the grandpup last night for longer than I expected. No worries when it is early, but as the evening wears on, I worry about letting them out-too many critters and Annabelle is a hunter that will take on anything, often to less than ideal outcomes for both her and the poor critter which becomes the newly-departed whatever. So, I try to keep them in, but it like having three you-know-whats in a you-know-what!

Yes, you are right on the stars. Now, think bigger or at least put the pieces together into a whole-or two wholes. ;)

• thinman
    12 years ago

So we're talking about two constellations, right? One is a he, and he is battling the other. Might their initials be H and D?

Cynthia, please don't feel like you should apologize for using a question you came across somewhere. Make it easy on yourself!

TM

12 years ago

Nothing is twigging yet :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, not H or D. Some think that the images of this man as drawn on constellation maps look like descriptions of Hercules (Heracles), but since he has his own constellation elsewhere in the sky, that isn't it. The man is one of the most ancient constellations that man has recognized and is one of the few I can spot in the sky with those three shining stars.

As to the beast...would it help you to know I was born near the end of April?

Thanks, TM. I do like it better though when I just happen across something that ends up being a good question (good being relative of course-ha).

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Ooh, I think you gave it to me there. I can usually pick this one out right away too, without hunting all over the sky.

TM

12 years ago

Would that be someone hunting a bull?

Annette, who is still clutching at straws.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My son and I researched Greek mythology and astronomy when he was little so I know this hunter and his prey. There is more than one version of the story in Greek mythology. I like the one that has Artemis carrying her loved one's body in her chariot and throwing it into the sky. The bull is most often cited though there is another animal associated with him hunting that frustrates our gardening. And still another creature that is a constellation in its own right.

Those three stars are known as part of his clothing and in many cultures referred to as the Three .... with the .... being various words.

Being a Leo I like the version where he is holding a lion in his hand.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Cynthia, this is a timely question as February is the best viewing of this constellation in our hemisphere.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Oh so many ideas!! I took tomorrow's question to work today, to try it out on some of my trivia loving co-workers!! They gave me a few good ideas for it. Also on this. Now, the clue from this am: I am all over the (sky) map!! My co-worker thought it might be Orion (the stars are in his belt?) fighting Urus. Now the clue you gave after I went to work takes my back to my original thought, about a space program name, since you mentioned 'two'. I am still no closer to an answer!!! lol.

Nancy - who is getting used to not getting stars!!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Oh crap - Bull.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have sent some of you off on the the wrong path, although everyone seems to have gotten back on track. The space references were only meant to take you to the stars, so to speak.

Yes, Orion is the hunter. Looks like I didn't need to use my clue about the Pleiades which are part of the other constellation, either. Bobbie, not sure a Leo should like that-it's a lion's pelt he carries, isn't it?

You guys are good!
    Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, so last chance on the beast for anyone who hasn't specified yet. I'll be back once tea is made to give out stars. Perfect reward for this question!

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

OK, I'll go with Taurus, the Ford, I mean the bull.
    TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, so last chance on the beast for anyone who hasn't specified yet. I'll be back once tea is made to give out stars. Perfect reward for this question!

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** stars for Annette, Bobbie, Nancy and TM.

You all got both Orion and Taurus. Nice job, folks! I do like being able to spot Orion in the sky thanks to his belt of three stars. Here is a link that tells you more than you ever wanted to know.

Thanks as always for playing.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Orion and Taurus

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Great question cyn - I deserve no stars. I was merely a follower, a poser!! I remember reading Greek myths in high school, but I think it was curiousity, not course-study! I think I need to read up again!

Thanks Cyn. Nancy.

12 years ago

....and only a couple of stars for me, I finally got the Taurus part but not Orion.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Very interesting link, Cynthia. In some versions the lion is alive near the bottom of the constellation. Either way that lion is doomed.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bobbie. I will explore further-fun. Much prefer the idea of a live lion (or any animal) to a pelt! :)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Great question, Cynthia. At first I thought it was Hercules and the Dragon, not remembering the names of the belt stars in Orion.

Silly little very trivial Michigan item: There is a community in the Detroit area named Lake Orion, but they pronounce the second word as ORE-ee-un. Dunno why.

Thanks for the weekend fun.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Hey cyn - just before I posted my answer last night, Detroit PBS had their night sky guys on - sorry,I need to pay more attention to who they are....anyway, they were talking about what is in the early Feb. night sky, and Orion of course figures prominently in this longitude. They showed the stars in the belt, and then also his sword. Very cool, again 3 bright stars but one never seems in focus, because it is actually a huge nebula many times the size of our milky way. I wish I'd taken more on this when I was younger. Thanks again for that question.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, how about that?! A nebula, huh? How cool. Thanks, Nancy.

Cynthia

Sponsored