Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning all. Happy New Year again!

With the arrival of the new year, I find myself wondering what will be the new 'thing' this year. I have glanced at the "what's in, what's out" lists, but there is usually some new fad or style that isn't ubiquitous yet that will appear during the year. Sometimes, these can be downright shocking. In fact, back in the 18th century, the appearance of one such new style caused women to faint and children to scream.

Now, what on earth could have caused such an uproar?

Cynthia

Comments (21)

• thinman
    9 years ago

In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking.
    Now, heaven knows, anything goes.

:-)

Shocking in the 18th century? I can't even begin to guess, but with your usual good clues, I may have a shot.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, often, Sundays seem to be just you and me! Stockings could have something in common with today's trivia, especially silk ones. Love that song by the way!

I do think it is amusing that often items, behaviors, gestures, or whatever are viewed as shocking or unacceptable by one generation soon become exactly the opposite as time passes. Also, we sometimes forget the origin of of some things. For instance, do you know the origin of the military salute? Hmmm...

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I'm here, thinking cap on, need clues.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

I seem to remember that the salute had a connection to the visor on a suit of armor. Don't know if it's true.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I'm here too, in need of clues. I seem to remember that the salute is rather like the handshake.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello you two!

From what I read today, the salute is more closely related to another gesture.

There are so many traditions of etiquette that I grew up with which seem to have fallen by the wayside for young people these days. Some just aren't applicable today (my dad would not allow us to come downstairs with our hair in rollers, for instance), while others are rejected (wearing a hat inside-that makes me nuts, but my students just don't get it even though it is still the rule in school).

I am ensconced in the library which is in our basement-much warmer than upstairs. I have been toying with the idea of switching our wood-burning fireplaces to gas. I am tired of cleaning them and having to leave the flue open over night. We had a chimneysweep clean them last year, and haven't used them since! One of my friends in PA has a woodstove, which is lovely until you have to clean out the whole stovepipe! Sigh. I love fires, but guess it will be a while until I have another one.

Cynthia

9 years ago

Hee, hee, I think I see a clue or two. Abe Lincoln comes to mind, am I getting close?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I'm following Annette through the forests. Hope we're on the right path.

Remember learning that in a later time women cutting their hair short was considered a shocking fad.

I thought the military salute started as a gesture to show that one was unarmed.

Today is cold with a light breeze. I bundled up well to refill the birdbath and feeders and sweep away the slight piles of snow that remained from last night's blustery snowstorm. Not minding the cold because the sun is bright and beckoning.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

A horse, a horse - my kingdom for a horse - or maybe not??

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I see what Annette is going for and I may just jump right on her coat tails, though I wonder if this style started in the 18th century.

I heated exclusively with wood for twenty years and did a few chimney cleanings until I discovered that I didn't need to. It depends a bit on the firewood and more on how hot you can keep the chimney.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, not sure what you are going for, but the century that this first appeared is way off for both Richard and the Bard.

Cynthia, who may look for an old Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers film to watch

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, I was going for horseless carriage, but now am thinking about head attire...

Nancy.

9 years ago

Yeah, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, good one Cyn :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aah, a tip of the hat to you both!

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Could I play Monopoly with a tiny one?

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

As I was watching Downton Abbey with my friends tonight a light bulb appeared over my head (figuratively, of course). I was thinking more rustic as had disregarded the silk clue. Coming home from the party and reading the rest of the postings and clues have me back in the formal drawing room. As I said to my DH before leaving this evening "I'm steppin' out, my dear..."well, not in those exact words, but close.

Odd that such extreme reactions are associated with wearing a top hat. Wonder what the associations were.
    Edited to add: top hat

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 16:18

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Four stars, belatedly for everyone! Yes, it was that symbol of refinement and elegance that caused such an uproar upon its first appearance. The hatmaker who supposedly wore the first one was John Hetherington in 1797. Apparently, it took about 20 years for the style to catch on among gentlemen. The fine silk shag version called "hatter's plush" which replaced beaver hats was popularized by Prince Albert in 1850. That led to the end of the North American beaver trade!

Of course, Lincoln is known for the stovepipe hat which was actually a popular alternative to the top hat. It had mostly straight sides and a small brim. The top hat was curved and sometimes had an ornately curved brim. Also, it was meant to be tipped forward and slightly to one side (but no more than 10 degrees in any direction). Sewing a top hat required time and skill and so fewer and fewer hatmakers were making them as the 19th c. wore on. Those who did catered mainly to those who could afford such fine handmade goods. Here, we remember President Eisenhower with his at John Kennedy's inauguration. Of course, although he had one, Kennedy was bareheaded when he spoke, so few remember that he had a top hat on the way to the ceremony and in the reviewing stand afterwards. All anyone seems to remember is that new young President Kennedy giving us such a speech and radiating youth without a top hat!

Thanks for playing! Hope everyone has a wonderful week. Thanks for being so patient!

Cynthia, who will be trying to stay warm this week! Oh, and who is feeling quite cheated because we in Fairfax County did not even get a two-hour delay today with our snow. Now, for all of you, this is laughable, but we had buses who never made it to school and multiple accidents. The county issued an apology-extremely disingenuous, I thought! Sigh. ðÂÂÂ

• thinman
    9 years ago

So we got it, huh? Thanks to your good clues.

If there was fainting, I guess women must have been a lot more delicate back in those days. Probably those city women-folk, not the sturdy pioneer gals who could rassle six kids with one hand while they whipped up biscuits and a pot roast with the other.

Thanks for the fun, Cynthia.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I can see kids laughing at the different hat style. Maybe the women were swooning with desire!

Thanks for the question and answer and those celebrative top hats, Cynthia.

Sorry your authorities were not more considerate of the safety needs of drivers and others out in the snow. Most of those jokes and laughs are done with a wink. In reality we do understand how small amounts of snow can make roads dangerous. Last night coming home from my book club meeting I almost slid off the road through the turn and journey down the ramp to the interstate. Made me very anxious as I approached the ramp to leave the interstate. Fortunately it was mostly clear. There were many accidents on the roads this morning and we had less than an inch of new snow.

Schools have been canceled tomorrow, not due to snow, but to extremely cold temperatures and wind chills.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a two-hour delay tomorrow, Bobbie, also due to cold. I will take it! :). Glad you are safe and sound. It is surprising to me that sometimes a little snow can be more treacherous than a few inches.

Stay warm and safe everyone!

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha. Thursday's 2-hr. delay turned into a closure...which I didn't discover until I got to school! Never occurred to me that they would close. Sheesh.
    Still, I will take it!

Cynthia

Sponsored