Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning Cottagers,

I almost titled today's trivia as Saturday. Ha. Anyway, today we are going to talk food. Nancy's cooking plans for last night got me going. I looked up General Tso. Decided to ask something else, although I may let you know who he was if you are interested. Nothing to do with today, though.

Today's food is a North American staple. American Indians and colonists relied on these when other foods were scarce. Its juice was used by Native Americans for medicinal purposes as well ( to treat persistent coughs).

What North American food am I looking for today?

I will be back with clues later.

Cynthia

Comments (21)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good morning to everyone - a snowy mild day here.

Ooooh, Cynthia, you've got my mind spinning - so many choices, but one springs to mind. I'm off to work but will come back later on my tablet - love this thing. how did I exist without it??

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

If it's what I'm thinking it grows on a bush.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

High in antioxidants, good for your eyes, too!

How many foods have poems written about them?

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should have known you two would get this quickly-it is afterall, Canada's largest fruit crop!

I think I need to increase my consumption. Its extract improves balance, coordination, and short-term memory in aging rats. ;)

Shakers used these in paint as did colonists, but the colonists made a grey paint using milk.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Sometimes questions like this BOG-gle my mind, but I have an idea about this one, thanks to the three of you.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From Robert Frost, end of his poem to these fruits:
    "We sha'n't have the place to ourselves to enjoy-
    Not likely, when all the young Lorens deploy.
    They'll be there to-morrow, or even to-night.
    They won't be too friendly-they may be polite-
    To people they look on as having no right
    To pick where they're picking. But we won't complain.
    You ought to have seen how it looked in the rain,
    The fruit mixed with water in layers of leaves,
    Like two kinds of jewels, a vision for thieves."

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ah, there - I believe there is one near me. Yes, TM it does boggle the mind.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

IMHO the flavor of the wild ones beat the cultivated varieties hands down.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even though I suspect you all have it, I won't end this yet. Here's another fact to add to your book.

Mocking their British roots, the first colonists added these to traditional English fruit and dough puddings and renamed them "buckle," "grunt," and "slump."

Also,they were commonly used to make pemmican, a jerky type of dried food packed for sustenance on long journeys.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh Cynthia, you just helped me with crossword - I couldn't remember how many m's pemmican had in it. Lol.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woohoo, Nancy. I have to say, your crosswords must be much harder and more interesting than mine! I only do the Washington Post Sunday one now, but I am pretty sure pemmican would never come up in it. I am very impressed. You win the Blue ribbon! Haha---sneaked that in, didn't I?

I tried planting a couple of these bushes, but I don't think they survived. I will have to check this spring. I put them in an area I pay no attention to except to weed once a year or so. Pathetic. Even if they did survive, I expect the birds will beat me to the berries. Annette, I have never picked them wild. Deprived childhood I guess.

Their color is so elusive and so sought-after by gardeners, isn't it?

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Oh oh, I was thinking of the wrong berries - cranberries, in fact. I think I'm on the right track now. If not, I'll be like Marty Robbins:

Well I never felt more like cryin' all night
    'Cause every thing's wrong and nothin' ain't right, without you
    You got me singin' ...

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

yes, you did - lol. Our crossword here is called North of 49 - lots of native words in it - do you know what the breathing hole for a seal is called? It is a popular word here, almost as popular a a piece made out of your fruit!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes! I have no idea, Nancy. I didn't even know they had a breathing hole. I thought they had noses. Just goes to show you how little I know!

TM, I thought your bog clue meant you were thinking cranberries. It had to be one of the two, didn't it? They are in the same genus. Marty Robbins, huh? Here is your song for today's question (very clever, btw)-heck, even his suit fits the category! :)

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Marty Robbins

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I think this the same berry I picked while working in Glacier National Park.
    We had enough to make jam which didn't set properly but made a wonderful sauce for pancakes and ice cream. Nowadays I pick huge cultivated ones on a farm or buy in the grocery store. Neither as delicious as the smaller wild ones. Fortunately we didn't run into bears, like Sal, but kept an eye open as they were in the area.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I enjoyed the Marty Robbins song and still remember all the words. When my folks did the weekly shopping on Saturday mornings I would put on their records while cleaning house. Skeeter Davis had an albumn of which I was fond about a certain hill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skeeter Davis

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Annette, Nancy, TM, and Bobbie!

Yep, blueberries it is. Did you know they are the official berry of Nova Scotia? I think I covered most of the fun facts already, but I will link it below nonetheless. I also used Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry

Thanks for playing everyone. Loved the Blueberries for Sal reference, Bobbie and hate that I can't underline that on my iPad.

Have a marvelous week.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I'll have to listen to the music later. For now, Cynthia - Seals swim great distance under the ice, but need to breath frequently. The make holes which they keep clear from freezing and they are called an aglu. There you go!!! An Innu word for your vocabulary.

Thanks for the fun. Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha. Now I did know about those holes, Nancy. I didn't know the name though. Cool. I was thinking you meant they had something similar to a blow hole on a whale. :)

Cynthia, who may get a snow day tomorrow if we get the 4 or more inches they are predicting. Doing my happy dance.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Oddly enough, I just happen to be eating some blueberries at this exact moment as I type. What are the odds? Pretty good, I suppose. I eat some every day at lunch.

I didn't even think of Blueberry Hill, Bobbie. Good one.

Thanks, Cynthia, for the weekend fun. Good luck with the Alberta Clipper giving you a snow day tomorrow.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Again, love the stars! Fruit looks like just the thing for my lunch. No fresh blueberries so will pull some out of the freezer to whip up a dessert for dinner.

Thanks for the fun and info, including that about seals.

Sponsored
Granitech Inc.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Award Winning Bathroom & Kitchen Remodelers of Fairfax County South