Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday morning, Cottagers! It is a grey ole day out there, but we had a skiff of snow yesterday, which cleaned up the look of the dirty semi-melted piles.

Well, I embarrassed myself with those poor clues last week, so I aim to do better this week! That being said, several ideas popped into my head, but none of them panned out. On further research, they turned into 'the answer is no answer'. But I persevered, exploring farther and farther, till I think I found a dandy. I too will be difficult to give non-giveaway clues, but I have a couple of ideas up my sleeve.

So, which planet in our solar system has the tallest mountain? Just to be clear, this is base to peak, as other planets don't have a sea level to differentiate the results. I will be back with clues, and tales of other research I did this week!

Nancy.

Comments (11)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh fun. Well, the gas planets are out, I guess. I will wait for clues. I don't think I have ever heard this-or even thought about it. Good question, Nancy! I will check back in a bit.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I am just so mad - that light skiff of snow is turning into a blizzard. I really wanted to get out there and go for a walk, so I guess I better go now.

Yes, Cynthia, the gas planets would have a hard time supporting a mountain that is almost 2.5 time taller that Mauna Loa, our tallest peak. It seems odd that is it named for Mount Olympus.

Nancy - who is off for her walk in the snow!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

It's quite mild here, the winter jasmine is in full bloom and looking quite pretty. The last few years when it has started to bloom we'd have a freeze and that put paid to any kind of a show. As to today's quiz, I'm waiting for clues too. Take care Nancy, walking in snow can be iffy especially if it's icy.
    Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

We're having a day with some actual sunshine, though it's still only 20ð F. I just set a tray of baby kale and romaine out in my greenhouse to soak up some of the precious rays. Mostly, the plants are under lights in the basement. I may strap on the boards and smoosh my way around the woods this afternoon.

Trivia-wise, the planet I'm thinking of owes its name to a god and its appearance to iron oxide.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Mmmmm, I think I know where TM is going with this, the color red comes into play. Unless forthcoming clues lead me in another direction I'm sticking with TM.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, I need to decide between three, all of which have mythological names. My first thought was the same as TM's, I think. Of course, I could be wrong about what I think he is thinking...hehhehheh. So, do I go with war or beauty, or fleetness (is that a word?).

Hope your walk is lovely. I like few things more than walking in the snow as it falls, most particularly at night when it is so quiet!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, darn - I didn't think it would be hard, but I thought I could string you along a little more!! lol.

{{gwi:594098}}
    Olympus Mons on Mars as viewed from Viking 1 in 1978.

Gosh darn it, I didn't get to use the fact that is has volcanic origins or do a rant. I didn't get to tell you about the further research, or roving around.

At 14 miles, the enormous shield volcano Olympus Mons on Mars is the tallest mountain on any planet. For 40 years following its discovery in 1971, it was the tallest mountain known in the Solar System. However, in 2011 the central peak of the crater Rheasilvia on the asteroid and protoplanet Vesta was found to be of comparable height.

{{gwi:594100}}
    This gives you an idea of the difference in heights - mind blowing, really. Olympus Mons is the youngest of the large volcanoes on Mars, having formed during Mars's Amazonian Period. Olympus Mons had been known to astronomers since the late 19th century as the albedo feature Nix Olympica (Latin for "Olympic Snow"). Its mountainous nature was suspected well before space probes confirmed its identity as a mountain.

So there you go - we're all done early for a change. I am cooking General Tso Chicken tonight and making egg rolls - yum. This town lacks a decent Chinese restaurant, so I really crave this every now and again.

For everyone:

Bobby, I tried to hang in there for you to chime in, but everyone really had it, so next week, ;-))

I was going to do a question about honky tonks and the origin of the work - darn, had some great clues and stories, but the bottom line is there is no answer - again. I could have gone with juke joints - sigh, just wasn't enough clues. So I'll leave with the song that inspired my almost question!!

Take care everyone. Thanks for playing and see you next week!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Six Pack to Go - Leon Russell

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, that was my first thought (Mars), but I wasn't really sure, so I don't think I deserve stars!

Your dinner sounds marvelous. If I lived around the corner, I would be popping in-ha!

Thanks for the fun and the new knowledge-new to me at least.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And you would be welcome, my friend!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy. I didn't know the answer for sure until you wrote about Mount Olympus. A bell rang in my head then: ding dong, Olympus Mons.

Good question!
    :-)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too fun - I wondered what gave it away!! It could have been easy or hard!!

Dinner was soooo amazing. If anyone likes to cook their own chinese I will give links - the egg rolls were perfect and I have lots to have for lunch and snacks at work - the General Tso Chicken was too die for - I am in chinese food hog heaven~~~

Ciao, my friends.