Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

thinman
13 years ago

Good January morning, dear cottage friends. Between the grand kids and the dog, the snow around here had acquired a real stomped-on look. Last night took care of that, as it delivered a few inches of nice fresh reconditioned whiteness. Annie the dog is outside right now, enjoying the cool air and running around, trying to regain lost ground. She does love to run.

I have a real obscure trivia for you today, and you may need a hint or two later on. What occupation would you be in if you found the need to use a fin comb every so often?

Good question, huh?

ThinMan

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Mornin' all, it has turned really mild here, 53F yesterday, unusual for this time of year. Fin comb, never heard of it. Now if fin had an e on the end I'd say you were probably the school nurse. Haven't a clue so will be lurking looking for clues.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Happy Saturday everyone! It IS a good question, TM. I wonder if the "fin" is from the French meaning "end" and if so, I have an idea. If not, I have no clue.

Funny Annette. As a teacher, have had some close encounters with those horrid things! Yuck.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

well Annette, that was my thought but then realized it is probably too easy :)

• frogview00
    13 years ago

I thought you were going to talk about the yellow snow from your grand kids and dog........

"fin comb" hmmmmmmm???????????

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Take a look at the first paragraph I wrote about the weather. If you take a short word from my fourth sentence along with most of a long word from my third sentence you will get a huge clue.

TM

13 years ago

Hmmmmm, a certain kind of repairman, putting together a hint DH gave me and certain words you pointed me to..... :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Okay, so it isn't something used by a person grooming the tail of a horse-lol (fin..end...comb...okay, stream of consciousness over). Putting together your clues (reconditioned and cool air) and Annette's idea of a repairman, is it something an air conditioner repairman would use? No idea for what or how, though!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

I meant to look in before I went in to work this am - oh well, here I am now!! If memory serves me correctly, the thin metal thingies on air conditioners are called fins. A fin comb probably straightens them out, thus improving efficiency. I'm guessing big time here, but I always thought that A/ those crumpled 'fins' affected the way the unit functioned, and B/ there must be some way to 'fix' them!!! Thanks TM. A questioned I might never have asked!! That is, of course, if I am correct!!

Cheers, Nancy.

• frogview00
    13 years ago

how about a stripping comb? It could look like a fin. Still stumped!

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a not-super-good picture of a fin comb being used.

{{gwi:594213}}

Nancy had it exactly right. The comb is used to straighten bent fins on A/C and refrigeration units. The fins are very thin and easily bent. The occupation would be HVAC service tech, but it doesn't matter if no one said exactly that.

for Annette (I think), Cynthia, and Nancy.

I thought someone might say fish groomer. :-)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Again, don't deserve the stars, but will humbly accept them nonetheless! Too busy last night watching the Packers run over the Falcons! Yippee!

13 years ago

Well I got part of it right, but didn't know how the comb was used, until now :)

Annette

Sponsored