Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Well, Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers. It is snowing here - big, Fluffy flakes. Yea - that's means the temperature has come up a bit!!

Well, it was sad news yesterday - Phil Everly died. He was 74, which is seeming younger and younger to me, as I age!! He was one of the pioneers of the sound we recognize as rock and roll, and was pall-bearer at another one of the great ones funeral. Who might that be?

I'll be back with clues, if you smart guys need them. In the meantime: Wake up, Little Susie!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: For you listening and viewing pleasure

Comments (19)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Another cold but snowless day here, at least we don't have to shovel :). Two names popped into my head immediately but I don't know if either one is the one you are looking for sooooo, clues please. One of them died quite young, am I hot or cold on this one?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sadly, he did die young. Wishin' that he hadn't!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An interesting bit of trivia: the Everly Brothers actually convinced this musician and his band to stop wearing blue jeans and t-shirts to perform and wear sharp suits, as they did.

Hmmm.....

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 13:00

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think I know this or at least I have a guess. Phil kept the music alive, though.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I suspect wishin' is a clue, but I can't connect it to the guy I'm thinking of.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don said the song was written for them, but I can't find a version of it on YouTube. Oh well. Don did not attend the funeral. He later said, "I couldn't go to the funeral. I couldn't go anywhere. I just took to my bed."

Very sad, indeed. It sound like most of you have it? All I can do is dream...

Here is a link that might be useful: all I have to do is Dream/Cathy's Clown

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

The Everly Brothers song "All I Have to do is Dream" is the first pop song I remember learning. I was eight years old when my three sisters and I preformed it for my visiting grandparents. The youngest sister mostly acted out the dream part as couldn't remember the words.

Got the answer for the trivia from the clues. A sad day when this performer and several others died.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don Maclean would agree with you, Bobbie - did you drink Whisky and rye? I always that was so funny, cause to me, whisky was rye - lol. I am such a Canadian. TM, it was a cold and snowy night, but the lake was clear.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

No to the whiskey and rye. I am a teetotaler. Grew up with an alcoholic father and saw the family history of alcoholism so decided not to imbibe. Fortunately DH is a non drinker as well.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ok, school night and getting ready for bed as soon as the Packers game is over (20-20 with five minutes to go. Aaarrrggghh. I can't take it.

So, my answer is Buddy Holly (Holley?).

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I suppose it could be any of the three who died in that plane crash, but like Cynthia, I've been thinking of Buddy Holly, so I'm going with him as well.

TM

10 years ago

Me too :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Well...All Right, Listen to Me, I took some time to Think It Over, and after much Crying, Waiting, and Hoping, Oh, Boy, It's So Easy to agree in a Heartbeat with you all... Buddy Holly.

The extreme cold is here but Baby I Don't Care, as I am Slippin' and Slidin'
    down the drive Early in the Morning to bring in the paper. Everyday is colder than the last but I won't Rave On as It Doesn't Matter Anymore because I will Not Fade Away in a Valley of Tears.

My Dearest is encouraging me with Words of Love, Maybe Baby we just have to Wait till the Sun Shines (Nellie) for the warmth to return. That'll be the Day when I will be a Real Wild Child.

Stay warm, my friends!

• thinman
    10 years ago

That's great, Bobbie! I didn't even remember all those titles.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I did not remember them all either and looked them up after watching "The Real Buddy Holly Story" on You Tube. When I saw he had only 25 recorded hits thought I would see how many I could use.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brilliant Bobbie - our Wordsmith!!

Yes, it was Buddy Holly!! It was a pretty sad story, with which we are all aware!! The Phil Everly connection surprised me, just a little. Holly's funeral was held on February 7, 1959, at the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Lubbock. The service was officiated by Ben D. Johnson, who had presided at the Hollys' wedding just months earlier. The pallbearers were Jerry Allison, Joe B. Mauldin, Niki Sullivan, Bob Montgomery, Sonny Curtis and Phil Everly. Waylon Jennings was unable to attend due to his commitment to the still-touring Winter Dance Party. Holly's body was interred in the City of Lubbock Cemetery in the eastern part of the city. His headstone carries the correct spelling of his surname (Holley) and a carving of his Fender Stratocaster guitar. All pallbearers save Everly were or would be, Crickets. María Elena Holly did not attend the funeral, and has never visited the gravesite. She was pregnant at the time of the crash. She miscarried the day after learning of his death, reportedly due to âÂÂpsychological traumaâÂÂ. Because of this incident, authorities found it necessary, in the months following, to implement a policy against announcing victims' names until after families had first been informed. Seems like common sense, but I guess the 'need to know' superseded that!

I hope you are all staying warm in the deep-freeze - we go from -2C at lunch today to -32C overnight. Yikes.

Thanks for playing: everyone gets Stars!!!

And a song to leave you with!! See you next week. Nancy. Rave on my friends~~

Here is a link that might be useful: Rave On

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Bobbie, that was brilliant! Love it.

Thanks for the stars, Nancy. It was just the only big name I could think of from back then for whom Phil would have been a pallbearer. The Everly Brothers were just so good. Wonder what Buddy Holly would have done in all these years had he lived. Now, that would have been fun to see and hear!

Stay warm all. We wimps are out of school tomorrow since temps are supposed to be as low as 1-3 degrees with much colder wind chills. Much safer not to have our kiddoes standing out waiting for buses in that. Expected high tomorrow is 15 degrees. That will break our all time low temp record of 18, wow.

Cynthia

10 years ago

You are a clever gal Bobbie, your rendition made me smile. Thanks for the stars Nancy, batten down the hatches and stay warm everyone.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and question, Nancy, and for all of the compliments on my note. It was fun to do. The Everly Brothers became good friends with Buddy Holly, hanging out in New York City after meeting in Canada.

School was called off here today, as well. High was -15, wind chills in the -20s and -30s. Going down to -23 tonight. School also called off tomorrow though we may get to +4. I bundled up well to fill the bird bath and feeders and bring in the paper.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 20:55

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!